XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 63 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 17th, 2003, 11:25 AM   #931
Tourist

Canon Xl1s - Time Elapse features?

I want to shoot a sunrise coming up in about 5 - 10 seconds. Instead of filming for an hour and speeding the footage up, I was wondering if there was a way to capture frames at intervals, much like a film camera, with the xl1s? Thanks!
Michael Mhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2003, 01:24 PM   #932
Air China Pilot

Yes, it is called Interval Recording and is accessible from your menus. It is in the vcr setup submenu. It records 3 seconds out of every 30 seconds. So it will be a bit jerky. If you want something absolutely smooth I would record in real-time and switch tapes (something you can fix in editing easily). A programme like Scenalyzer can extract the relevant frames.
Old September 19th, 2003, 08:13 PM   #933
Major Player

Michael,
I don't know if you have a digital camera, but this page gave me the inspiration to buy the little Digisnap attachment for my Nikon 990. I'm working on a time lapse project right now that will combine footage from my XL1 and the 990. I'm hoping that the difference will not be too jarring!

http://www.digitalsecrets.net/secrets/Accessory.html

Best,
Dave
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2003, 01:10 AM   #934
Regular Crew

Sennheiser EK100 Antenna

It is recommended in my Sennheiser handbook, page 76 that the A17 helical antenna is used when the EK100 receiver is used on your camera. What is the reason for this, as it is a whip type antenna that came with my EK100 receiver.
Barry Uddstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2003, 06:41 AM   #935
Regular Crew

XL1 Servo Noise

i know this is a problem with the XL1; but is there any way around it?
Bryan Gateb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2003, 06:44 AM   #936
Regular Crew

nevermind; i answered my own question after running a search :P

mini-mount and system isolator -- where cna i purchase these online?
Bryan Gateb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2003, 03:15 PM   #937
Inner Circle

Digital Breakup

On a commercial shoot yesterday, we experienced a vertical band of digital breakup along the right side of the frame prior to shooting. We cleaned the heads, and all seemed right. We shot the first tape, and all looked good. Shot the second tape, and the breakup was present throughout the tape along the right side of the frame.This breakup was not visible during shooting. A third tape loaded after the second, recorded just fine.

The breakup is a band of blocky colors, in a "sawtooth" pattern along the right edge of the frame.

Any thoughts on the cause? Is this tape related, head alignment, one time problem? Cam is running solid now.

Shooting Fuji tapes only, Xl1 (NOT Xl1s). Camera last serviced last year.

Thanks canon watchdogs...
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2003, 04:17 PM   #938
Outer Circle

Sounds like a typical drop-out to me. There could be something wrong with part of the tape, the heads could be dirty and need to be cleaned professionally, or there's something wrong with the heads (which may need to be servived).
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2003, 09:05 AM   #939
Regular Crew

Wireless Audio with XL1

I have bought a wireless audio system from AKG.
AKG PT40 (transmitter) and AKG PR40 (receiver). The receiver (-6dBm (10k?) requieres a line input at the camera, the Canon XL1 has this (-11dbV / 47k?). I am not a sound engineer. The sound is very bad, lots of backround noise.
I appreciate any advice from someone who has used AKG before or is successfully using another wireless solution.
Thanks,
Juergen Hansen
Juergen Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2003, 12:14 PM   #940
Wrangler

You may need to run the input into Audio 1 (the switch under the audio door). You might want to work with the settings. You may need to make sure you have the audio in manual and reduce the gain.

Normally, I run the audio in 12 bit mode and use the sub tracks (audio 2). The system I use is the Sennheiser EW112p.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2003, 01:30 PM   #941
Regular Crew

frame mode conclusion ...

After reading a whole lot of threads, here on DVI:

regarding "frame mode shooting", can I conclude, ( I use a PAL XL1s), that if I DON't use 16:9, and stay at 25i/s, and not too high shutterspeed, my images will stay sharp , with no quality loss, even after being postproduced, and transferred for broadband use?
Or di I still miss something, all is a bit confusing on that subject..!?

many thanks, for any help clearing this out.

Jacko
Old September 22nd, 2003, 02:17 PM   #942
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

See this thread.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2003, 09:27 PM   #943
Major Player

Will this work? (PAL)

Ok, I recently have the oportunity to get a PAL XL1s for a great price, and i was wondering if this will work:

1.Capture 25"p" in frame mode, 16x9
2.Load into computer via firewire, and edit video.
a.Slow it down to 24fps, stretch sound 4%
(or capture sound separately on a DAT)
3.In order to not loose 4:2:0 color space, leave as a 24p quicktime or dub to a DigiBeta(4:2:2) tape.

will this work without loosing any color info? since i want to shoot 16x9, i figured PAL would give me the extra resolution that I would loose doing the matting in NTSC, plus the better color info.

My other question is, can I put the final product in a 24p DVD without loosing the 4:2:0 color info(down to 4:1:0 or whatever)?

Thanks,
Juan
Juan P. Pertierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2003, 10:17 PM   #944
Regular Crew

See my post at
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=14794
with a link to streaming video (the second one hasn't been color corrected).

Basically I did what you are describing (PAL, Frame, Widescreen) but with a XM2.

For the color correction I stayed in DV format even if there are some compression artifacts after few generations. I didn't want to go to a lossless format (Quicktime for example) due to the different color space (I'm still investigating on this question).

I'm very pleased by the result especially because I can burn a 24p NTSC DVD as well as a 50i PAL DVD without any hassle.

Slowing down the audio track was in fact the trickiest part. My audio track was saturated and contained guitar, bass and voice but there are some damn good third-party tools that can deal with that.

Dany
Dany Nativel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2003, 04:43 AM   #945
Tourist

Nebtek Fuzzy Composite Problem

Hi,

I just bought a Nebtek Moitor for my xl-1. The problem i am getting is diagonal interference from the composite video. Although its not appalling its noticeable on the monitor makes it harder to use. The diagonal noise moves and seems to change direction. I have tried everything I know to sort this problem out, it reminds me of my TV when the AV is not the correct channel and i get a very similar effect. Im a bit gutted as I was looking forward to using my nice new nebtek monitor :( Any peopl had similar problems?

Any Help appreciated.
Mark Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog