XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 64 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 24th, 2003, 05:22 AM   #946
Warden

Talk with your dealer about an exchange. What you're seeing isn't normal.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2003, 09:53 AM   #947
Warden

Can you post an audio sample or email a short clip?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2003, 02:55 PM   #948
Wrangler

If the output of the wireless is - 6dBm, connect it to the Audio1 input jack, from the menu be sure the Audio1 input is set to line (that is the default seting) and be sure the switch behind the door is set to the Audio1 setting. You can use manual or AGC as you wish.

Note that the -6 dBm output is probably too high for the MA-100/200, and for sure is too high for the mic jack
Old September 26th, 2003, 08:16 PM   #949
New Boot

Azden WR2-PRO

Sometime ago I asked this forum how I could use my current Azden WR2-PrO wireless [mono]with my Xl1s....The answers were good and I went to Radio Shack and thought I had the right components.....but the wireless still would not work..... following carefully the audio instructions... slide the imput switch to "mike" Audio 1 RCA jacks and "nothing" happened.
I went back to Radio Shack and this time talked to the manager.....It took him but a couple of minutes to go and find the correct components....Here they are in case anyone else has the problerm I had. Mono to Mono Shielded Plug Adapter #274-871
and a 4-inch Shielded Y-Adapter Audio Cable #42-2535. That did it.....my wireless equipment works perfectly....

Tom Turney Video Productions
Bemidji, MN
E-Mail: videoent81@yahoo.com
Old September 27th, 2003, 12:50 PM   #950
New Boot

Wide capturing wireless audio...

I'm looking for a quality wireless to use with my XL1s capable up picking up multiple speakers or small stage productions. Is there such a beast?

Thanks,

Jeffrey
Jeffrey A. Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2003, 07:17 PM   #951
Wrangler

For best quality, uneless the speaker are within a couple feet of each other, your best bet is to mic each separately which can mean separate systems.

However, in the modest cost range the Azden WR-22 Pro receiver does support two mics on one system.

For voice the mic should be with in a couple feet of the talent for decent sound. If more than a few feet you start to get that in-a-tunnel sound.
Old September 28th, 2003, 04:34 AM   #952
Regular Crew

Firewire output

I am just about to get a firewire and do some editing at home and have got a query for you.

I am going to edit a piece that will need to be output to VHS - probably about 20 copies of about 90 mins long. I have no access to a DV player and would not like to use all these hours rolling the mater from my XL1s, bo I was wondering if it is possible to take the piece straight from the computer (Avid Xpress DV) via firewire to the XL1s and use the phono plugs into a VHS. In this way, there would be no need to roll tape except for in the VHS itself, but I'm not sure if it would work.

Has anyone got any experience of this at all or is there another way I can work around it.

Regards
Jon
Old September 28th, 2003, 05:19 AM   #953
Regular Crew

Hi Jon

Yes you can go directly to VHS from your computer by using your XL1s as a converter.

The video signal goes to your camera via fire wire as a digital signal, the camera converts the signal and sends the analogue signal trough the RCA video and audio plugs on the back of the XL1s to the VHS machines.

The XL1s does not have to be in record mode to do this.

I use Final Cut Pro and do this quite often without any problems, I simply export my video to tape without using the record function on the XL1s and have the signal pass trough the RCA plugs to the VHS machine.

Regards
Didi Schoeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2003, 05:49 AM   #954
Major Player

All I would add is use S-video cable if your XL1 and VCR have it. The image quality is sufficiently better to make it a habit. Some people confuse S-VHS with S-Video. The latter is just a different connector, not a different and less compatible tape format.

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2003, 04:27 PM   #955
Major Player

XL1 Pic

Many people wonder how the XL1 can look. I knew I did before I got it. Well, let me post a picture!

Some post processing, but not much at all, just a little tweaking.
and true dof.

http://www.atamashi.com/dance/index.html
Andreas Fernbrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2003, 04:52 PM   #956
Wrangler

Hi Andreas,

What do you mean by "true DOF"?

Is "true DOF" the name of a plugin or process you applied to the image? Or do you mean to say that the image accurately reflects the depth of field achieved by the standard XL1 lens?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2003, 05:47 PM   #957
Major Player

I mean to say that the image accuratley reflects the dof achived by the standard 16x lens.

So didn't fake it in any way.
(like applying blur to the background)
Andreas Fernbrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003, 10:53 AM   #958
Obstreperous Rex

Really like your XL1S? Get the screensaver!

Howdy from Texas,

Download the official Canon XL1S screensaver directly from Canon USA, and your computer will dream about the camcorder whenever it goes to sleep. A very nice, slick freebie from CUSA. Check it out!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2003, 08:56 PM   #959
Trustee

The sports wallpaper looks pretty dodgy, especially the circa 1980's snowboard picture. You'd think Canon could come up with something a little more up-to-date.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2003, 08:59 PM   #960
Obstreperous Rex

The heck with the wallpaper -- I'm diggin' the undersea-themed screensaver!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog