DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XL1 / XL1S various posts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/160-xl1-xl1s-various-posts.html)

Chris Hurd February 22nd, 2002 11:12 PM

Robert

You need to send the camera to Canon Service. Contact info on the XL1 Watchdog at www.dvinfo.net -- "The XL1 Skinny"

Manuel Albarracin February 24th, 2002 03:06 AM

solar panels

You can always charge a car battery during the peak hours of sunlight. Then connect the car battery to your charger this way even if there is a flactuation of the sun intensity the car battery will still be steady in giving energy to your charger.
Opps sorry if its Cambodia it might be harder to carry a car battery to the jungle.

someone who uses solar panels for energy

Don Palomaki February 24th, 2002 10:37 AM

Most consumer VHS decks to not do a timecode.

You can create a window dub from the XL1 analog output. In VCR mode you would use the remode to turn on the time code display.

Tony Beazley February 25th, 2002 12:34 AM

Making my own adapter for a Fuji lens????

Ok this is what is in my head I have an expensive Fuji lens16x-6.7on my JVC -X2B which is a great camera . Im trying to sell the camera. But am seriously wanting the new XL1s. I used the XL before and I hate the focus . So why cant I buy a cheap canon lens and switch mounts with the Fuji. Shouldnt that work? As long as the screw mounts line up that would work ...right? I still have to buy the adapter right? Even if I could do this?

Tony B

Chris Hurd February 25th, 2002 12:47 AM

You can do it but it will be expensive, besides that lens is for a 1/2 inch camera and the XL1 is 1/3 inch (focal lengths wil be longer, not wide enough). You'll have to take off the motor and grip handle too.

Adam Wakely February 25th, 2002 01:59 PM

It looks as if they did use a new, longer EVF cable as I requested during my servicing! It's all working well now and I'm happy! :)

Eric Emerick February 26th, 2002 09:45 PM

Peak VST

Does anyone have any experience with the "mono to stereo" DSP function in Peak VST? If so, any and all info (how well does it work, why did you use it, quality of output, limitations, etc...) would be appreciated. Could (should) I use it to convert mono from Sennheiser ME66 into stereo? Not interested in doing any hardwiring with splitters and the like.

Richard DuPree February 27th, 2002 07:11 AM

I use Peak VST almost daily and have found it to be one of the best 2-track audio editors on the market. You should have no problem making the conversion from mono to stereo.

Eduardo Mayen February 27th, 2002 11:32 PM

Making a film Print and Shutter Speed

Will the alteration of the shutter speed affect in anyway any future transfer of the DV to film.

Ken Tanaka February 28th, 2002 12:02 AM

The only folks that can answer this are the folks at your transfer house. I suggest selecting one before you shoot frame one and consulting with them on what their requirements are.

dmorgan99usa February 28th, 2002 12:54 PM

Letterboxing with the XL-1

First I would like to explain my setup, I have a standard XL-1 (2000) vintage with a 16 X lens. I have purchased an after market Matte box called an Image 2000 that attaches to the front of the Lens.
I was wondering how I could apply a Hard matte plate to this type of setup for doing a Letterboxing effect. I know I could apply a Letterbox in my editing program (Final Cut Pro) but this takes too long to render out. Any ideas?

Thanks
Dennis Morgan
St Louis

Ken Tanaka February 28th, 2002 02:03 PM

Hello Dennis,

I don't have a suggestion for you per se, having never done this myself. But I'm curious about why you just want to mask-out the top and bottom of your lens' (4:3) image. Are you trying for a faux anamorphic look? It seems to me that if you mask-out parts of your image you may have some formidable focus and exposure issues that you'll have to compensate for.

Eduardo Mayen March 1st, 2002 12:00 AM

Calibrating video monitors.

I am using a XL1 with a Fujinon lens. Does anyone have any good methods for calibrating and color correcting monitors used for video taps?

Ken Tanaka March 1st, 2002 12:18 AM

Hello Eduardo,
Video University's site has a pretty good instructional page on this subject at:

http://www.videouniversity.com/tvbars2.htm

Note, however, that the instructions require that you display true SMPTE color bars for the calibration, something that the XL1 cannot do. (The XL1's bars are not SMPTE-compliant, but the XL1s bars are.) Your editing software might be able to generate true color bars which you could then record to tape to display for calibration. If not, you might be able to just wing-it with the XL1's bars and then use flesh tones to fine-tune to taste.

Steve Kim March 1st, 2002 10:53 AM

Optex Digilite 15, or Canon VL-10i?

I am looking for a small/light weight video light < $150 for fill-in for less than 5 feet closeup.

Does anyone have experience with Optex Digilite 15?

I found some feedback on Canon VL-10i, but not on Digilite 15.