XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 85 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 23rd, 2004, 07:36 AM   #1261
RED Code Chef

As you noticed the XM2 is very good as well. The XL1S should be
slightly better with the superior glass in front of it, but that might
not be very noticable (also depends on what you are viewing the
footage).

As you also noted. Most people buy the XL1S over an XM2 for
other reasons:

- easier controls
- better audio controls
- removable lens system (especially interesting with full manual lenses and systems like the mini35)
- availibity to swap other parts like microphones and viewfinder (to get a B/W CRT)

It is also a bit easier to dress it up to a more professional
system and get it a better shoulder mount. Some people also
get it because it just looks more professional (which can make
a difference for some clients etc.).

If you leave both camera's the same there isn't much difference
between them. Although I'm not sure whether the XM2 has things
like custom presets / white balance and how far things like gain
go on each.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2004, 09:36 AM   #1262
Tourist

XL1 zoom control

Hi its my first post here so be nice ;)

ok, my Canon XL1 has developed a fault, the zoom button spring has come of so it gets stuck, it is out of warranty and its really a 2nd camera as i have a XL1s to replace it BUT would like to fix it myself. Now how do i get the side of so i can get to the zoom control?
Shazad Rayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 04:04 AM   #1263
Wrangler

A project NOT for the fumble fingered.

Remove the lithium backup battery.
Remove the grip belt/strap.
Remove 5 hex screws in the side. Note with care where they came from because they are different lengths.
Separate the L cover and the R cover unit.
Diswconnect three cables

With any luck you will see 4 screws holding on the inside cover of the grip. Remove these and you should be inside the grip housing. The zoom key unit uiis behind the circuit board.

Good luck.
Old May 24th, 2004, 11:47 PM   #1264
New Boot

Which Mic?

Just wondering...I was looking at a Sennheiser Shotgun Mic-KE66.........does anyone know if that would be a better mic than what the XL1s came with?
Tyson Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2004, 04:17 AM   #1265
Wrangler

It is a better mic, but keep in mid that it is mono if stereo is important, and you will need an XLR adapter to connect it to the XL1s.
Old May 25th, 2004, 05:17 AM   #1266
New Boot

No stereo wouldn't be important. I am shooting a documentary, so I will have a wireless mic on one channel and a boom mic on the other.
Tyson Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2004, 03:18 PM   #1267
Regular Crew

Canon XL1s FIREWIRE !!!

Dear All,

I think i am facing a problem with my Canon XL1s FIREWIRE I/O
i have a canopus DVstorm editing card, and when i hook the FW cable the card dosen't detect the DV connection, while i took a friend's camera with the same cable and everything is running smoothly....

I wonder what is the right thing to do... or is there any way to reset camera settings... my problem is that i live in Jordan and there is no actual mentenance for Canon XL1s in our town :(

Is there a replacement for the FIREWIRE I/O....

The analoge connection is working properly !!!

Regards,
Amr Toukhy
Amr Toukhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2004, 03:32 PM   #1268
Major Player

I don't know the DVstorm card but the first place I would start is there.

Check their website for any troubleshooting hints, check for updates to their software, check your cable.

Just so I know I got this right: did you bring a new camera into the same set up and try it out with the exact same set-up?

Did you use the same cable for the new camera? did you try the XL1 right before the other camera? Was the other camera a Canon camera?

I would try everything in that range first. Check the card's software.

Then I'd try shutting down your computer. Plugging in the camera, making sure the camera is on and then starting up the computer.

It might not be seeing the camera if you are hot swaping it.

After trying all of this and whatever the card manufacturer suggests then you can try a camera re-set, it's fairly easy:

take out the battery (or the AC adapter) and then in the underside of the hand grip you'll see this compartment you are able to pull out that has a battery there. Leave it out for a minute just for kicks and then plug it back in. You SHOULD have to reset the time and other settings for the camera which should say it's reset.

I'm sure some of the others here might have an idea but start with the card and see if they've had any problems communicating with Canon cameras
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2004, 04:15 AM   #1269
Regular Crew

I believe your firewire port on camera might have been shorted. Try DV to DV connection if the DV info on your camera is blinking then your port is fried. If you are only using to transfering video to computer I suggest getting a cheap minidv camera and use it's firewire port. It will also save wear and tear on your Xl1's head.
BJ Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2004, 12:03 PM   #1270
New Boot

Lens Stability

Has anyone tried , used and liked any particular lens stabalizing setup for the Canon 100-400 with the 7.2x EF adapter ?

The quality is fantastic, except in any mild degree of wind there just is too much jiggle in the picture. This despite a good fluid head and a long lens plate.

The main use would be in nature and wildlife photography.

Thanks,

Tom
Tom Fruzynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2004, 12:18 PM   #1271
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I have seen photographers drape small sandbags over the lens to add mass and dampen vibrations.

There are Canon IS long lenses, btw. But, of course, they're quite pricey.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2004, 01:12 PM   #1272
New Boot

IS does not work or at least not effectively on a tripod. IS really is for significant up and down or side to side motion in hand holding the lens. I have seen references to modified matte box / bar supports but no first hand user reports as to their effectiveness.

The 100-400 does have 2 types of IS modes but this does not stop the jiggle in attempting to get nesting birds at a distance.
Tom Fruzynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2004, 02:25 AM   #1273
Tourist

XL1... or something else?

I'm looking for a camera in the $5-6K range, and I'd really love anyone's suggestions. I really like the JVC GY-DV5000, but I know that the Xl1 is a great camera. Any ideas or suggestions would be very appreciated.
Andrew Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2004, 02:27 PM   #1274
Regular Crew

What is your prediction for the XL2?

I read the XL2 warning on this thread, so we wont be asking any questions, just imagination.

The XL1s is a great camera but I didn't buy it because I wanted the 24p feature with the DVX. But come to find out that I'm not happy with the 60i quality with panasonic, the XL1S beats it. So if canon does make a new one I will probably do my wedding stuff with it.

Anyway, here are my predictions.

1.) it will probably be called somthing else besides the xl2.
2.) There will probably be somthing "diffrent" about it as what all companies like to do. So my guess it will eiter be 24p, HD, 1000 lines resolution or a combintion of these.
3.) Flipout LCD might happen, but might not as it's very difficult to see an LCD screen in daylight, even with a hood.
4.)Exchanagble lens will be the same.
5.) Canon will not make the XL2 at all and get out of the pro market.

What's yours?
www.riverlightstudios.com
DVX100/Final Cut Pro 4/Mac G5 Dual 1.8
Mark Monciardini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2004, 02:42 PM   #1275
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Mark,
We have a very long, and long-standing, thread on this very subject HERE. Please join that discussion.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog