XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 89 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 9th, 2004, 06:19 PM   #1321
Warden

Don, good luck and I'm glad you found a good past time (still photography) in your retirement. But you don't need to be a stranger here and bid farewell. We have our own, small still community here at Dv Info. Many of the same familiar names are there and plenty of experienced photo people too (most of them Canon shooters, by the way). I teach digital photography at a local art school and college. I welcome any of your questions and comments on our forum.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 06:27 PM   #1322
Wrangler

Jim,

The increased sensitivity was one of the selling points on the XL1-s. I believe the figure was around 4db increase. The XL1-s also has true SMPTE bars and an improved IS II lense just to name a few.

So, you should definitely see a difference between the two cameras. Also, keep in mind that the original doesn't allow picture setup controls and you will have to color match the XL1-s to the XL1. Fortunately, they tend to run pretty close together in that respect.

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 08:07 PM   #1323
Obstreperous Rex

Many thanks Don, as Jeff says, we hope to see you in our Still Crazy forum. Best of luck!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 08:24 PM   #1324
Major Player

Your right about matching. The XL1s had no problem matching the XL1 which was the "A" camera. But I was surprised at how the XL1s was always closed down about a stop more than the XL1.

I also jealously noticed it didn't shut off automatically.
Jim Sofranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2004, 07:31 PM   #1325
Major Player

Audio monitoring

Is there any way to monitor the audio on the XL1 through the viewfinder? I've been shooting non-stop on a doc and several times we had sound malfunctions. Human error and technical problems caused several interviews to be lost. It was very frustrating.

On many occasions I cannot wear a headset because I'm operating in a car or such and it is impossible. Hand held shooting makes it difficult to wear a headset. Plus, very often, I cannot hear much through the headphone output anyway.

I have a sound mixer but he only monitors the mix and not whether the sound is actually getting to the tape from the wireless when he is booming. The responsibility seems to lie with the camera op but very often I am busy operating handheld and all too often don't consider the sound.

I realize I can look look out to the meter on the body but many times I don't until we are well into it. Is there another technical way for the SOUND person to monitor the audio when transmitting a wireless to the MA 100?

Any ideas??
Jim Sofranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2004, 04:07 AM   #1326
Wrangler

Try a second wireles on a different frequency and transmit from the camcorder headphone jack output to a receiver at the wireless operator. You will have to match the headphone jack output level to t he wireless transmitter input, which often is MIC level.
Old July 12th, 2004, 07:25 PM   #1327
Regular Crew

Battery Packs for the xl1 (generic)

Does anyone know about anything negative coming from using generic battery packs? you can get 6000mAh by going with a non canon battery. They claim to be 100% safe and compatible with the xl1s. claim... psht. i need facts.
Old July 13th, 2004, 01:07 AM   #1328
RED Code Chef

I don't know anything about generic brands if that is the same like
unknown brand.

I do, as have others, experience with Lenmar which has worked great.

A search yielded this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=27342

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 01:03 AM   #1329
New Boot

Sennheiser on Canon GL2 (XM2)

Hello from sunny Devon in SW England, this is the first time I have posted here, although reading many of the posts has been most enlightening.
I read here about Sennheiser ME66/K6 being a good combination to use with Canon XM2. I think I will go in this direction. question I have is this: If I use Beachtek DXA4 to connect it to camera, it uses internal power, with limited XLR lead length/performance. If I use Beachtek DXA6, I will get phantom power with all its advantages, but have to keep buying 9volt batteries.
Opinions, anyone?
tia,
NigelCH
Old July 19th, 2004, 07:01 PM   #1330
New Boot

It Ate My Tape!

Now what...
I'm just rewinding my standard Sony PRL-60 single use tape and the XL1s stops and the power light is flashing.

I go to open the tape door and the tape lifts out with a tape tail going into the drive.

The edge of the tape is wrinkled for about four inches, can I still use this tape to get the images off it? If not, does anyone have any idea how to retrieve the video by another method?

More importantly, what would cause this to happen?

I have only run about 60 hours of tape through it so far and have never used a tape a second time or used any other tape than the Sony.

I played another tape and rewound it in the XL1s without incident but now the timeline counter flickers during the rewind.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Brian
Brian Boals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2004, 02:44 PM   #1331
Regular Crew

any way to modify VL mounts to use on xl's?

just wondering out loud if there is anyway to modify the old VL lenses to use on th xl1's?
(theyre so cheap on ebay!)

probably not but i thought i'd try!

thanks
marc
Old July 20th, 2004, 02:47 PM   #1332
Obstreperous Rex

No. See this page for an explanation.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2004, 07:37 PM   #1333
Tourist

camera backpack

Hi there

I am about to embark on a 3 month backpacking journey from Australia to Mozambique, South America and Nth America then home to New Zealand. I have recently bought a CANON Xl1s to document my trip and am looking for a suitable travel backpack for my camera. I want to look as poor as possible during my trip so my gear doesn't get stolen. Does anyone know of an excellent backpack for this particular camera? I have been to the LOWEPRO website but there packs look a bit small. Any other travel advice would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks Krissy
Old July 28th, 2004, 12:23 AM   #1334
Trustee

Do you want something for your camera and your regular gear or just the camera?

For just the camera I have the Lowe Photo Trekker Classic and it has carried my XL1 since 99 with no problems. You have to break the cam down but everything fits inside as well as tapes, extra batteries, cables, and, headphones. There are also two pockets on the outside for other gear and plenty of straps and loops.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 03:03 PM   #1335
Tourist

Where is the Serial # located?

Well, it looks like I'll need to send in my XL1S for some type of service. I need to find the serial number for the camera, but I've looked an can't find it.

Does anyone know where the serial number is located on the XL1S?

Thanks,

Erik
Erik Anderson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog