XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 91 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 4th, 2004, 04:47 AM   #1351
Wrangler

I've seen the V8 used as an abbreviation for Video 8, the standard 8mm video tape format (not Hi8, which uses the same size tape and cassette but a higher bandwidth recording format and tape specification).

8mm video tape (and Hi8) are NOT compatible with MiniDV, but should be with Sony's Digital 8 equipment that is designed to play both Digital 8, Hi8, and 8mm format tapes.

The XL1 does not play Digital 8, Hi8, or 8mm tape.

The Sony Digital 8 gear I've seen does have firewire output (Sony calls it iLink); e.g., the GV-D200, a walkman-sized Digital 8 VCR, and it plays both 8 mm, Hi8, and Digital 8 tapes.

Sony is the only current maker of Digital 8 products.
Old August 4th, 2004, 06:17 AM   #1352
Regular Crew

Don,

Thanks for your clear explanation about Video 8 compatibility with the MiniDV format.

Collis
Collis Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 07:06 AM   #1353
Major Player

Custom Settings in XL1s

How much to you guys use these custom settings, setup level,
sharpness etc., are they manipulated frequently or stay pretty
set to the 'center'?
Michael Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2004, 03:59 AM   #1354
RED Code Chef

A simple search within this forum revealed several threads on
this subject already. Including my opinion on the matter, please
take the time to review these:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=20198
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=13419
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=5056

Thanks!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2004, 01:00 PM   #1355
New Boot

Seeking an audio education.

Hi,

I feel in need of a general education in "all matters audio", from simple basics onwards. Any suggestions on reading material - either downloads or books or correspondance courses? Much of what you guys discuss here is way over my head!

I have acted on some of your suggestions regarding my last query on tape faults (pixilation, mosiac noise etc) on my XL1S and together with a quick 5 second head clean before each use have not had this problem since. Thanks guys.

I would appreciate any help to increase my audio knowledge.

Thanks,

George.
Old August 9th, 2004, 07:20 PM   #1356
Wrangler

Read the archives here for info specific to your camcorder.

Find a library with back isues of Vdieomaker and read the pieces on audio there. They tend to be fairly basic.

But keep in mind that not everything you read in print, on the web or in amagazine is 100% accurate.
Old August 9th, 2004, 08:14 PM   #1357
Trustee

George, check in the "Read About It" part of the site for some good reviews.

"Producing Great Sound for Digital Video" by Jay Rose is a great book. Covers technical info, gear, How to use it (micing, booming), post production and more.

Aaron
Old August 10th, 2004, 01:45 PM   #1358
Regular Crew

I have surfed the net, found a lot of suppliers for the Power2000 Battery for XL1. I have tried most of them but none of them ship to South Africa or charged extreme shipment costs. In the end, I have gone back to BugEyeDigital and gave them another go. What a difference! Not too sure what happened but the battery was delivered in South Africa in less than 2 weeks! Very good service from them this time around..perhaps the previous experience with them was just a coincidence!

Very happy with the Power2000 battery so far on my XL1!

Regards
Danie
South Africa
Old August 10th, 2004, 02:28 PM   #1359
New Boot

Using the backfocus feature....

We are trying to use manual focus over the auto focus because of the focus hunting issue with the XL1s. Unfortunately, there are certain situations where we can't do a manual focus.

Unfortunately, backfocusing technique with the Canon XL1s is not able to handle this scenario as the subject is moving towards the camera. Or should it be?

XL1s is in manual focus. Operator zoomed in to her and obtain a focus manually. Zooming out to wide angle shows the subject is still in focus. Initially, the subject is 50 feet apart standing still. Focus is okay as long subject distance is maintained. As she walks towards the camera, the image becomes blurry. Operator has to zoom out and refocus.

Question is there a way to maintain focus if subject comes closer to the camera even when in MANUAL FOCUS (sort like a backfocus feature)? Or in this scenario, I can only do this with AUTO FOCUS. The problem with AUTO FOCUS is the focus hunting that XL1s stock lens exhibit.
Rafael Guerrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 06:26 PM   #1360
Wrangler

Auto focus needs good vertical contrqact and reasonable light levels to work well. Over 50 lux per some documentation I've reqad.

With a lot of practice, skill. and cunning you may be able to adjust focus manually to track a moving subject, but it is not easy to do.

Backfocus is an internal setting with the standard automatic lenses, not something most users can do. YOu need to Canon manual lenses to be able to adjust back focus.
Old August 12th, 2004, 09:24 AM   #1361
Regular Crew

Lightwave Mini-mount in the UK?

Hello all. Does anyone know where I can purchase a lightwave mini mount in the UK? I have tried looking but without any luck!

I'm getting a ME66, just hoping that once it's mounted onto the mini mount it won't protrude into shot!

thanks, sparky.
Mark McCarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2004, 10:02 AM   #1362

New FireStore FS-4 Disk Recorder with DTE Technology for Handheld Camcorders

Congratulations to FOCUS Enhancements for once again setting the Gold Standard for portable Direct To Disk recording with Direct To Edit (DTE) technology.

"It's a thrill to know that FOCUS Enhancements actually listens to their customers and to all of the input provided by those looking for the best DTE solution with the best value. FOCUS Enhancements clearly understands that the user interface is most important. The FireStore interface is easy to read and the menus are easy to navigate. The ability to create multiple keeper clip folders makes organizing clips a breeze. The FireStore interface is simply the best." - Don Berube, noisybrain. Productions

More info and pics on the FireStore FS-4 at:
www.focusinfo.com/products/firestore/fs-4.html

For more information about Direct To Edit (DTE) Technology from FOCUS Enhancements, check out the video modules from the FireStore FS-3 demo DVD:
http://www.focusinfo.com/products/fi.../fs3video.html

According to the Press Release from FOCUS Enhancements:
FOCUS Enhancements Announces the Affordable FireStore FS-4, Direct To Edit Technology for Hand - Held Camcorders

Portable FS-4 digital disk recorder model joins industry leading FireStore family

CAMPBELL, CA, – August 10, 2004 – FOCUS Enhancements Inc. (NASDAQ SC: FCSE), a worldwide leader in video production and conversion technology, today announced the latest addition to the FireStore family of Direct To Edit™ (DTE) Technology digital video disk recorders, FireStore FS-4. FS-4 is the first DTE product designed to bring tapeless technology to hand-held DV camcorders from JVC, Panasonic, Canon, Sony and others.

Designed to mount directly to hand-held camcorders, be worn on a belt or used in other situations where portability is a requirement, the FS-4 is ideal for wedding and event production, field production, independent film, corporate, education and many other uses. Powered by a removable battery system, the small and lightweight FS-4 interfaces with camcorders via a single FireWire (IEEE-1394, iLink) cable. DTE Technology allows hand-held camcorder owners to record clips in native NLE file formats so editing can begin immediately after shooting is finished. This eliminates the need to first capture then convert files prior to editing.

“Our industry leading FireStore DTE disk recorders have brought the benefits of tapeless acquisition and production to full size camcorders, desktops and studios all over the world,” said Matt McEwen, product manager for FOCUS Enhancements. “Now we are expanding our customer base by offering DTE Technology to hand-held camcorder owners at an affordable price.”

Two models of FireStore FS-4 will be available: FS-4 and FS-4 Pro. Both models will feature a 40GB (Three hour) internal disk drive, a 6-pin FireWire connector for interface with camcorders, a 6-pin FireWire connector for interfacing with a computer for editing or file transfer, a backlit status LCD display and a comprehensive set of control buttons including a navigation pad. Both models will also feature support for DTE Technology file formats including RawDV, AVI Type 1, AVI Type 2, Matrox AVI, Canopus AVI and QuickTime including 24p. FS-4 Pro adds support for the Avid OMF and Pinnacle AVI file formats, retro record modes so you will never miss a shot, user definable time lapse, loop playback, scene marking and multiple file folder capabilities. The FS-4 PRO also is available with an 80GB (Six hour) internal drive.

Where to Buy
FireStore FS-4 is expected to be available in December 2004 through the worldwide FOCUS Enhancements dealer and distributor network for a US MSRP of $799. FireStore FS-4 Pro 40GB and 80GB are also expected to be available in December 2004 for a US MSRP of $1,195 and $1,695 respectively. For more information on FOCUS Enhancements and its products, please visit www.focusinfo.com.

About FOCUS Enhancements, Inc.
FOCUS Enhancements, Inc. (NASDAQ SC: FCSE) is a leading designer of world-class solutions in advanced, proprietary video technology. Headquartered in Campbell, CA, FOCUS Enhancements designs, develops, and markets video solutions in two distinct markets: advanced proprietary video conversion integrated circuits (ICs) and affordable, high quality, digital-video conversion and video production equipment. Semiconductor IC products include designs for PCs, game cards, internet, set-top boxes, Internet appliances, and interactive TV applications, and they are sold directly to original equipment manufacturers (OEMs). FOCUS Enhancements’ complete line of video presentation and video production devices are sold globally through resellers and distributors to the broadcast, education, cable, business, industrial, presentation, Internet, gaming, home video production and home theater markets. More information on FOCUS Enhancements may be obtained from the company's SEC filings, or by visiting the FOCUS Enhancements home page at http://www.FOCUSinfo.com.

Safe Harbor Statement
Statements about future results and other expectations constitute forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements are based on current expectations and the current economic environment. The Company cautions that these statements are not guarantees of future performance. Actual results may differ materially from those expressed or implied in the forward-looking statements. A number of factors in addition to those discussed herein could cause actual results to differ materially from expectations. Demand for FOCUS Enhancements’ products, which impacts revenue and the gross margin percentage, is affected by business and economic conditions and changes in customer order patterns. Any projections are inherently subject to significant economic and competitive uncertainties and contingencies, many of which are beyond the control of FOCUS Enhancements. Important assumptions and other important factors, including risk factors, which could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements are specified in the Company's Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2003 and other filings with the SEC. The Company undertakes no obligation to update forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise.

Thanks FOCUS Enhancements!

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2004, 07:11 PM   #1363
Tourist

XL-1 PAL rental in NYC

hi everybody!

i just joined today and have to say i was so happy to find this forum...
i am working on a commercial for europe and they insist to get the material
on PAL. where can i rent the XL-1pal in New York City???
Rainer Hosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2004, 11:45 PM   #1364
Regular Crew

Shooting in frame mode and 25p

Hi guys,

I will be shooting a short film soon.

But I may have a slight problem of having to use different cameras for different days.

I'm shooting on XL1s this week, and perhaps the panasonic DVX100 next week.

I plan to shoot in frame mode and 25p. Will I have an issue intercutting both footages?
I will try to spread the scenes out so that both cameras will be used for different scenes or after a time lapse, so that the differences will not be that obvious.

But do you guys think that I will have the issue of earlier scenes differing from later scenes etc?
Michael Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2004, 12:03 AM   #1365
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Re: Shooting in frame mode and 25p

<<< But do you guys think that I will have the issue of earlier scenes differing from later scenes etc? >>>

Yes, depending on how you use the DVX100 they will appear quite different. I strongly recommend testing in advance, particularly if you are not experienced with the DVX100.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog