XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 92 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 13th, 2004, 01:33 AM   #1366
RED Code Chef

OpTex has it: http://www.xl1s.com/products.php?cat=8&pg=2

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2004, 11:19 AM   #1367
Regular Crew

many thanks..
Mark McCarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2004, 09:57 AM   #1368
Regular Crew

Recording Problems

I just got my XL1 serviced by Canon after having recording problems, black square (archiving?) appearing which effected both the audio & video. After about $ 900.00 in repairs (Replaced Zoom Assembly-Zoom motor & focus motor, replacing 3P prism, cleaned tape path, adjusted FB-camera section and recorder section, Cleaned and checked all functions to factory specs, etc.). I used the camera one or two times since then with no problems but just completed and "important" shoot (aren't they all important...) but am reviewing the tape and having the same problems again. I'm shooting on Sony DVC 60 tapes and have used the same tapes since the service.

There are sections that the tape is fine, then others where I'm having the problems...

Any ideas or suggestions on what's going on and what I can do to fix this....

Thanks for any help with this....
Jason Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2004, 11:15 AM   #1369
Regular Crew

It's "artifacts"....not "archiving" problems.. Sorry I'm a bit peeved at this continual problem. Read in an early post that someone else had this same problem and sent it back to Canon a second time to replace the drum....
Jason Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 02:50 PM   #1370
Regular Crew

Aftermarket Arena for EW 100 ENG to G2

Was hoping if anyone had an information on areas where I would be able to sell my EW 100 ENG (Sennheiser) kit as I'm really interested in upgrading the kit to the G2 line.

Has anyone done this and are they happy with the G2?

Old August 16th, 2004, 04:18 PM   #1371
Trustee

Now that's what I'm talkin' bout!!!!!!!

Awesome.......can we safely assume the camcorders listed as being compatible are the ones they've tested and are indeed compatible- and there maybe others that WILL work- or are the listed cameras the ONLY ones that work?

I'd love to strap one underneath the Optura 300 for the ultimate in portable quality DV footage.

Thanks guys.
Old August 16th, 2004, 06:32 PM   #1372
Major Player

Try Tamborelli Video or BVR.
Jim Sofranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 07:49 PM   #1373
Obstreperous Rex

Also check Analog Digital Inc. in Mid Town and tell Ayres that I sent you. Call (212) 688-5110.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2004, 10:29 AM   #1374
Regular Crew

REPOST - Recording Problems - Please Help

Reposting this hoping for some help with this....

I just got my XL1 serviced by Canon after having recording problems, black square (archiving?) appearing which effected both the audio & video. After about $ 900.00 in repairs (Replaced Zoom Assembly-Zoom motor & focus motor, replacing 3P prism, cleaned tape path, adjusted FB-camera section and recorder section, Cleaned and checked all functions to factory specs, etc.). I used the camera one or two times since then with no problems but just completed and "important" shoot (aren't they all important...) but am reviewing the tape and having the same problems again. I'm shooting on Sony DVC 60 tapes and have used the same tapes since the service.

There are sections that the tape is fine, then others where I'm having the problems...

Any ideas or suggestions on what's going on and what I can do to fix this....

Old August 20th, 2004, 04:55 PM   #1375
Regular Crew

Im sure I already know the answer to this question and it is a silly thing to ask, but are you using the same tape twice? I've had similar problems with mosaic squares appearing every so often on my footage shot with my XL1s. This occured (with a second hand tape AND a first hand tape) during the first few hours shot with my camera, then disappeared. How many hours have you shot (give or take) since the problem arose. Im no professional but Im still trying to add something to the plate of ideas.
Old August 21st, 2004, 08:05 AM   #1376
Major Player

Before I send this to Canon, just thought I'd ask...

I just got back in town from a (fortunately) 2 shot corporate gig (two XL1S'). I say fortunately because I had a second cam to capture sound when I discovered that the first cam had a constant pitched tone it was producing. Whether in pause or record it was generating what sounded like a test tone except a little lower in pitch. It was much stronger on one channel than the other whether I used the attched MA 200 or the on-cam mike. Is it time for the shop or can anyone think of ...........wait a minute.......I just turned it on to see if it would also do it in other modes besides manual and I can't MAKE it do it now.........any suggestions (other than "don't take it on a one-cam shoot").
Thanks guys,
Randy
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2004, 08:10 AM   #1377
Warden

What are you using the MA-200 for and how did you have the audio set-up?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2004, 09:02 AM   #1378
Major Player

I'm using the MA 200 for 2 channel audio capture with two AKG 1000s (corded mikes) plugged into channels one and two. I should have mentioned that the noise was still there after unplugging the MA 200 from the cam.
Thanks Jeff,
Randy
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2004, 05:18 PM   #1379
Regular Crew

Christopher-

I "stripe" any new videotape in the XL1 (to put timecode on it and prevent any timecode breaks if I were take the tape out before the end, use another tape. say for another project, then put the other one back and continue where I left off.) In future, I am going to stripe the tapes on my DSR-11 deck instead (after I figured out how to change the record setting from DVCAM to DV SP)

Other than that, I don't reuse any old tapes, I put them on the shelf and archive them (as well as use them as backups).

I had the problem, got it serviced to remove the problem (as well as a yearly maintenance service - I put it down to dirty tape heads), shot one or two projects (about 2 or so hours) with no problems, then had a problem on the last shoot.

I have another project beginning on Wednesday, and hope to not revisit this problem again. I did shoot a few minutes of a test on the same tape I had the problems on, and had no problems...

I hoping for any other comments from the users on this forum as well...

Thanks!
Old August 23rd, 2004, 10:21 AM   #1380
Focus Enhancements

Hi Steve,

The list of camcorders are indeed those we have tested. All FireStore models will work with virtually any camcorder that features a FireWire I/O. I have not come across a camcorder that has not worked.

Hope that helps.

Matt McEwen
Focus Enhancements
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog