XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 94 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 3rd, 2004, 05:51 AM   #1396
Major Player

Does anyone have anymore info on matching these cameras
as far as basic setup? Thanks
Michael Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2004, 03:10 AM   #1397
New Boot

Ca-920

ALOHA

Just purchased new CA-920 Compact Power Adaptor for XL-1 and GL-2 (the old CA-900 BIT THE DUST) from B&H and it is not comatible with the DC-900 Adaptor for my XL-1. What gives, what do I need. Is there a new adaptor for this to fit the XL-1 and if so what is the product number. The discription above is directly from the B&H online add.

ALOHA & MAHALO

Jerry
Jerry Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2004, 04:17 AM   #1398
RED Code Chef

Are you talking about the connector from the adapter TO your
XL1 to power it WITHOUT a battery? If so I'm not sure this
charger supports that. At least I could not find any information
it can power the camera DIRECTLY.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 02:31 PM   #1399
New Boot

Auto Shutoff

Hello everyone. Thanks for the forum. I am using my XL1 for multi-purposes, one of which is a webcam for business-oriented webinars. The camera seems to capture the image just fine. The problem is, the auto shutoff activates after five minutes, which causes the webconferencing software to abandon the connection and not allow reconnection after I switch off the camera and switch it back on (the conferencing tool is very unforgiving). This may seem like a rudimentary question, but I cannot find it in the manual that came with the camera. How do I deactivate the auto shutoff? Thanks for your help.
Eric Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 02:44 PM   #1400
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Welcome Eric,
This is an often-asked question. Unlike the XL1S, the original XL1 has no suppression of it's sleep function. But there are a few ways to get around this issue. See this thread for some tips.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 02:58 PM   #1401
New Boot

Thank you for your quick response, Ken! That article was extremely helpful, and will no doubt prevent countless headaches and unproductive hours. Thank you!!!
Eric Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 07:43 PM   #1402
Regular Crew

I get about 4 hours from BP 930 on my Nabtek.
Rafal Krolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 06:40 AM   #1403
Inner Circle

Porta Brace, Petrol, Kata, VideoSealSkins rain slicker issues

I've read the many postings on rain slickers for the XL1 (including the DVInfo review of the Kata). Most discussion threads are circa 2002/3 when it appears that only PB and Kata had product. I see Petrol now offers a product similar to the Kata and VideoSealSkins one similar to the PB.

I cannot find a definitive answer on whether the PB or VideoSealSkins fits with the Lightwave Mini-mount (not SI) and I'm assuming the PB works on a tripod the same way the VideoSealSkins does by simply opening the bottom velcro.

Can anyone confirm the PB or VideoSealSkins works with the Mini-mount and tripod?

TIA
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2004, 04:32 AM   #1404
Major Player

I use the Porta Brace rain jacket, and, the winter jacket. Both have zipper openings on the bottom that allow you to attach the cam to a TP.

If by the Lightwave Mini-mount, you mean the mike isolation system, the answer is yes.

As a product, the Porta Brace rain & snow jackets have served me well over the last 2 years. The only problem that I have encountered, is that I broke a zipper on the rain jacket, through my own negligence.

I am not familiar with the Video Seal Skins.
Old September 16th, 2004, 06:41 AM   #1405
Regular Crew

LCD as Viewfinder - Marshall to XL-1

Good Morning...

I recently purchased a Marshall 4" High resolution LCD monitor with the intent of using it instead of the EVF. The monitor has two BNC inputs. How do I actually connect the XL-1 and the monitor?

Any help would be appreciated.

CMV
Christopher Velasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2004, 04:37 PM   #1406
Regular Crew

well, i guess with a cinch cable and a cinch/bnc adapter when every bnc is for video
Elmar Tewes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2004, 01:51 PM   #1407
New Boot

Century .6X wide angle adapter problem & hints

I've recently purchased the .6x wide angle adapter for the Canon 16x manual lens. I'm aware that the .6x is a partial-zoom adapter, which is supposed to work only at the wider end of the 16x lens. Yet, with the zoom wide-open (5.4mm) I can't get the lens to focus correctly. No matter how I turn the focus ring, everything is way blurred.

I figured that turning the macro mode ring halfway can help me get correct focus, but it's very unreliable and cumbersome. Does anybody have the same problem with this piece of glass? Or any resoultion? There was no users manual in the box, so I'm not even sure if it's normal behavior.

And a piece of information that might be of use to some of you: the bayonet mount on the .6x adapter for the 16x manual lens can be easily modified to fit on the standard XL1s 16x servo zoom lens as well. By loosening the tiny screw on the side and untwisting the bayonet about 2 revolutions, you can make it fit, and it takes only a few seconds. The attachment guiding yellow dots get misaligned this way, but you can securely lock the adapter on the servo lens by feeling it.

Oddly enough, the stock 16x servo lens has NO trouble focusing with the wide angle adapter on. On the wider end of the zoom range, where it's supposed to, anyway. Push-AF works miracles.
Gabor Kertai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2004, 06:47 AM   #1408
Tourist

Nikon Adapter XL1s - Lens Questions

Hello,
I am using an XL1s with the standard 16x XL lens at work. We are considering the OpTex Nikon to XL Lens Adapter to mount the following lenses to our XL1s:

Nikkor 50mm (1:1.4D)
Tamron 28-200mm (1:3.8 - 5.6)
Tokina 19-35mm (1:3.5 - 4.5)

Our main goal is to achieve a wider angle than with the standard lens (and to avoid purchasing the 3x Canon Lens). We know about the magnification factor and so there are some questions:

1) Does it make sense to use those lenses anyway?
2) Will we have a wide angle effect or will the magnification make that unnoticable ?
3) Will the 200mm lens be usable at 1400mm ?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Armin Vollstedt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2004, 08:06 AM   #1409
RED Code Chef

This makes no sense at all, especially since you want to get a
wider angle. This is not possible with that adapter (which
magnifies 7.2 times):

50mm => 360mm
28 - 200mm => 201 - 1440mm
19 - 35mm => 136 - 252mm

These are all way more telephoto than the standard 16x lens!

So you either have to go with one of the following systems:

1. wide angle adapter
2. wide angle lens (canon)
3. mini35 adapter with true 35mm lenses

The 1400mm will not be usefull at all if it doesn't have an optical
image stabilizer (which it probably won't).

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2004, 02:49 PM   #1410
Major Player

DV IN XL1s

Hey guys...
I can't connect my camera to my computer.
And when I put the camera in VCR mode the "DV IN" shows even though the cable is not connected.. Is it supposed to be like this? Or is my firewire port on the camera broken?

/Andreas
Andreas Fernbrant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog