XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 95 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 24th, 2004, 05:55 AM   #1411
Regular Crew

XL1 version based on serial number...

Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any info on, based on serial numbers of the cameras, if there is any way that we can determine when my XL1 was manufactured?. If I am not mistaken, the earlier models had some issues that were corrected. I am curious to see if mine was an early model or a later version.

thanks.

-paul.
Paul Figgiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2004, 05:50 PM   #1412
Regular Crew

On the XL1, the date of manufacture is inside the battery compartment. Mind says December 2000. I purchased it in March 2001.
Norman Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2004, 09:31 PM   #1413
Major Player

Try reinstalling the firewire cable into the camera port with the camera off, turn on the camera then remove it.
smitty
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2004, 07:57 PM   #1414
Regular Crew

Framing for Action Safe

Hi Folks,
I'm using FCP 4.5 for my NLE with my XL1-s. How can I ensure that the subject I am shooting will be within the action safe area when I go to edit my footage? I want to make sure that I don't cut off heads or other important items when I frame my shot.

Any help would be great!

Jerome
Jerome Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2004, 09:40 PM   #1415
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

There is no hard and fast method for 100% insurance, Jerome. It just takes a bit of practice and experience (and a few mistakes).

One of the few advantages of using the XL1's standard color LCD viewfinder (over the FU-1000 high-res monochrome unit) is that it comes pretty close to only showing the action-safe area of the image. See the comparative viewfinder images at the bottom of my FU-1000 review page for an idea of how the safe areas compare with your viewfinder view.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2004, 09:53 PM   #1416
Regular Crew

Ken,
Thanks for the info. I'm going to do as you suggest. I wish there was a way to take the DV output of the XL-1s and feed it directly into my Mac, start FCP and see what the output looks like. :-)

Jerome
Jerome Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2004, 03:23 AM   #1417
Regular Crew

EF Adaptor problem

Can anybody explain how the canon EF adaptor actually does the magnification side of things. Is it literally just the lenses that magnify or is there something in the unit that enhances it. I am having a problem with my adaptor where it will not give very good telephoto with a 300mm lense. If I fit the 300mm lense it only gets as close to a subject as the normal lense that came with the XL1s does. I`m led to believe that an adaptor with a 300mm lense would give the same effect as a 2100mm lense.

The adaptor needs a battery, what is the battery for ?, has this something to do with the zoom ?. I have changed the battery, but it makes no difference.

Does anyone live in the south of the UK that has an Canon EF adaptor that I could come along and see working. At least I could check mine against someone elses that I know works.

Anyones help would be very much appreaciated.
Andrew Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2004, 03:47 AM   #1418
Warden

What do yo mean by get as close? Do you mean distance from subject to camera? The lens will make the subject appear larger in the viewfinder. The EF adapter does not magnify the image. The image size is purely the result of the focal length of the lens. Depending on which lens you have for the XL1, you can zoom the lens to about 80mm to 90mm. Attaching the 300mm lens will make the subject about 3.5 times larger in the VF.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2004, 06:12 PM   #1419
Tourist

Lens solution to shoot through 35mm viewfinder?

I'm looking for a solution that would allow me to shoot through the viewfinder of a Nikon D70 (similar to a 35mm SLR viewfinder) so that I can capture the viewfinder display. Is there any combination of lenses and adapters that you could suggest for my XL1s to accomplish this?

Thanks!
Jim Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 02:13 AM   #1420
RED Code Chef

Are you trying to get the footage to look more filmic and have
a smaller depth of field and such?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 04:18 AM   #1421
Regular Crew

XL1/1S - Microphone on other devices?

Hi,

I'm just wondering, what is the type of connection between the stock XL1/1S microphone and the XL1/1S? Is it possible to use this microphone with other devices, say, a Minidisc recorder? I don't know all the different connections, but the one for the XL1/1S mic seems pretty different from any other ones I've seen...

Dennis
Dennis Liu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 08:53 AM   #1422
Tourist

Not film-like

It's fine if everything's in focus. This is actually for a training video about how to use aspects of the camera.
Jim Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2004, 02:37 AM   #1423
Regular Crew

Xl-1 and Xl-2 lens

Can the Xl-1 and Xl-2 share lenses??? (Perhaps this question has already been asked somewhere else but I wasn't able to find it)

Thanks!
Anders Floe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2004, 02:51 AM   #1424
Warden

Yes they have the same XL lens mount. These articles might be of interest to you.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2004, 03:19 AM   #1425
Regular Crew

Thanks
Anders Floe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog