XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 97 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 14th, 2004, 09:33 AM   #1441
Trustee

No, AFAIK you can't do this. There is no slr cam with an XL mount, and I am not aware of any adapter that allow this. (Technically, it should be feasible, but the focal length would not be really usable)
Old October 14th, 2004, 09:38 AM   #1442
Regular Crew

thanks for the response.

back to the drawing board!
Chris Trainor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2004, 11:12 AM   #1443
Regular Crew

filter help xl1s 3x lens

Hey guys, me again.

im using a 3x lens with some tiffen filters. when im full wide, the filter is way visible. the dots on the filter show up like a dirty lens. where can i read up on how to properly use these things?

heath
Old October 16th, 2004, 10:00 AM   #1444
Major Player

I've been using a XL1s and a Optura Xi for a concert. White balanced the two cameras as similar as possible. Clamped the Xi to a pillar for a wide total shot and moved arround with the Xl1s on a monopod. Since the lightning was all colored spots I had no trouble with any differencies in color between the cameras.

I had all picture controls (sharpness, color etc etc) on standard for both camera, in the hope that Canon sort of calibrates all their cameras to the same standard.

It worked like a charm. Only minimal corrections in post was needed. The differencies in picturequality between the two cameras is not very big, as long as the Xi is operating in "safe waters". Since the camera does not have full manual, and the lens is not up to Xl1s standard - but it is very good, you have to ensure that the automatic is not driven into a point, where picture quality suffers. That means sudden lightchanges, and lightning extremes.

But the Xi is a very good camera - if only they had put in a fully manual mode - sight!

JOS. Svendsen
Jos Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 12:13 AM   #1445
ikarus79m

Brocken Buil-In Microphone (What plug does it use?)

Hey, the microphone which came with my Canon XL1s doesn't work anymore. I think there is a malfunction in the plug. If i twist the plug a little it works until I let go.

So either I need to re-buy the microphone, or I could just put a new plug on the cable. The problem is, that I have no idea what kind of plug i need. The XL1s has this weird two plug system where one plug is smaller than the other. Kinda like they have on the airplanes.

Does anyone know if these plugs are available out there and if yes, where you can buy em and what they are called? Or is this a canon only system?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old October 18th, 2004, 09:36 AM   #1446
Obstreperous Rex

Good thing you're in L.A., just drive the camera down to Orange County:

Canon USA Factory Service
15955 Alton Parkway
Irvine, CA 92618-3616
tel: 949-753-4200

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 06:09 PM   #1447
Regular Crew

Hi Jos,

Thanks for the info on your setup. I have a friend that uses the Xi. Hopefully I can get him to work with me.

Thanks again,
Jerome
Jerome Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 07:02 PM   #1448
New Boot

ZR-1000 (or) StealthZoom - zoom speeds - anyone know?

Hi.

So the Canon XL1 has 8 discreet zoom speeds.

The Canon ZR-1000 remote lens controller, and the VariZoom StealthZoom controller, both have 5 preset zoom speeds.

So. Does anyone know which 5 of the 8 zoom speeds available on the XL1 are accessible through the 5 preset speeds on either of these units?

In other words, is it like this (1 being slowest):

8 5
6 4
4 3
2 2
1 1

or like this:

8 5
7 4
5 3
3 2
1 1

or some other correspondance?

The reason it's important is because we make extensive use of the two slowest zoom speeds (1 and 2 on the 1-8 scale above) and I want to make sure I can zoom at these two speeds using a remote controller.

Thank you in advance for any info, technical analysis or anecdotal evidence, etc.
Ken Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 04:23 AM   #1449
New Boot

XL1s Rewind Problem

Hello Folks,
I am having problems with my rewind. When I try to rewind tape it does ok for about 5 min of tape then stops and in display a red EJECT TAPE appears in the viewfinder.I tried several tapes and same problem. Never had this problem before. The tape is SONY premium 60 Mini DV. Any help here would be appreciated....in time crunch as usual and it would really help if I could rewind my tapes.
Thanks for your help.
Brian
Old October 19th, 2004, 07:52 AM   #1450
Obstreperous Rex

Sorry but it sounds like a trip to the service center:

Canon Factory Service
Attn: XL1 Service
100 Jamesburg Road
Jamesburg, NJ 08831
tel: 732-521-7007

Maybe you could borrow a camera in the meantime or pick up a DV cassette rewinder.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 04:53 PM   #1451
Tourist

Help! My Beachtek DXA-4C makes my xl1 WHINE!

Hi All,

I'm not exactly new here, but I lost my old password and used a different email a few years back and haven't been around for a while, soooo ... I'm kinda new (again).

so... anyway ....

the good news: my xl1 isn't broken
the bad news: maybe my XDA-4C is????

I hope someone can help! Here's my problem:

When my DXA-4C is attached to the audio on the cam makes a high frequency (very annoying) hum that I hear thru the headphone.

Input is set to mic, 16 bit. DXA is set to mic and stereo). Changing settings (ie: mic input to ATT) didn't make any difference.

It happens as soon as I turn it on (even when not recording). And also happens even if no mic is attached.

It's not constant -- it even appears to fade the longer the cam is on, but that comes back loud and clear if I go into standby and turn it back on. And that may just be coincidence, since there's no real rhyme or reason.

It also gets recorded which, as you can guess, is really a bummer!!

When I disconnect the XDA-4C the sound goes away. When I use just use the standard canon mic all is good (well, except that I don't want to use that mic!! =).

I bought the XDA used from B&H about 3 years ago, so maybe it's just lived it's life?? But I'm looking for any input, ideas, similar experiences before I go shopping. I'd sure rather spend the $$ ona NEW toy -- not a replacement!

thanks in advance!!
deb
Deb Kney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2004, 05:07 AM   #1452
New Boot

Thanks for the info chris

I ran a head cleaner tape and got the camera to rewind....once....The next time it ate the tape...chomp. Yes it looks like a trip to the service center.I am a XL1s club member so they said it would be a 3 day turn around ....should I have to pay for the shipping to New York?I have 2 shoots set up for Sunday/Monday this week. The camera seems to capture fine but it makes me a little uneasy as I will not be able to recreate these filming dates. Haveing a hard time finding another camera.Do you know a good rental company for XL1s?(North Carolina) They said at cannon that they ship out a loaner if they have it but have been unable to get anyone on the phone...just rings and rings. Thanks Chris for helping me navigate these waters and for your time.
Brian
Old October 20th, 2004, 01:39 PM   #1453
Trustee

are 16x IS II sold separately from XL1s packages?

i'm curious cause the lens guide from DVI states that it is worth $1,600 but after visiting our sponsors i can't seem to find that lens onsale.
Old October 21st, 2004, 01:32 AM   #1454
RED Code Chef

I couldn't find anything either, perhaps call someone like ZGC?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2004, 10:02 PM   #1455
Tourist

Canon XL1S Zoom problems - please help!

When camera is turned on, the zoom usually won't work and on the rare occasion it does, any movement causes the viewfinder to fade to black. Tried trouble shooting with new lithium lens battery but no joy. Nothing in the manual troubleshooting to cover it. Suspect it might be to do with circuits. Camera bought new only a couple of months ago. (Will play back on VCR-no problems there) Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
Anne Henshaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog