XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 99 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 3rd, 2004, 05:23 AM   #1471
Wrangler

Buying a new mic is an option. If you want to keep with stereo, consider the AT-822 as an alternative to the Canon mic. It is possible to fabricate a substitute cable - the jacks are available on the market. It may be possible to order on from Canon's parts outlet, but I don't know where that is in you area.
Old November 4th, 2004, 06:34 AM   #1472
Tourist

LCD screen for Canon XL1s

hello folks,

I have a JVC GR-d73U consumer camera. I recently bought a canon xl1s. Is it possible to use the LCD screen of the JVC for the canon Xl1. If yes, how?If not possible.Is it possible attach an LCD screen on a caonon XL1? help needed for the novice
Bardan Gurung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2004, 07:15 AM   #1473
Obstreperous Rex

You can use your JVC camcorder as an LCD monitor for your XL1S, but it's going to be a hassle. Turn on your JVC camcorder in VCR / playback mode. Run a video cable from one of the video outputs on the XL1S (either the RCA jack or S-video jack) to the video input on your JVC. Check the manual for your JVC camcorder for instructions about using the video inputs in VCR mode. That's pretty much all there is to it. So up to this point it's pretty easy. The hassle is, now you have two cameras to carry around. You could mount the JVC on top of the XL1S, but it'll be a heavy combination that isn't very practical. For tripod work, you'll need two tripods, one for each camera, also not very practical. So, you could do it, but it doesn't make much sense.

See also my article "Five Essential Items for Your XL1 / XL1S " for some recommendations on external LCD monitors.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 08:55 AM   #1474
New Boot

Hi Jason,

You have probably sold your EW 100 ENG (Sennheiser) kit by now, but I might be intrerested if you haven't.

If you did sell it already, can you suggest a good deal elsewhere oin this kit?

Thanks!
Kenneth Irvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 11:39 AM   #1475
Inner Circle

I don't know or this will help, Harris, but a couple of days ago I mailed B&H to ask them if they knew with what cable I could extend the mic on the canon, because I want to get it on a boom.
They were so kindley to respond me a complete answer, I copy it here, I hope it is a help:

"Hi there

You will need the following two cables,

Model # HOSMMSMF25 $6.95 (out of stock)
Stereo Mini Male to Stereo Mini Female Cable - 25 ft

Model # VAVZEXTL20 $23.50 (in stock)
VZ-EXTL20 20' Extension Cable - for Control-L
(Lanc) Controllers

The only problem you may have is with space, since
they are very tight on the camera."

Hope it helps. Good luck!
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 10:28 AM   #1476
New Boot

Dropped frames/Dirty heads

Hello all, been a long time since I've needed your valued help.

Question: would dirty heads on my XL-1 cause dropped frames, jumpy capture in FCP 4HD?

Thanks again for the sage advice. This forum has saved my sanity and bank account more than once.

Michael
Old November 11th, 2004, 12:00 PM   #1477
RED Code Chef

Yes, it is quite possible that clogged heads could cause frame
drops during record/capture. Get a cleaning tape? Could also
be other things like a bad firewire cable, failing harddisk or other
running programs for example.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 12:57 PM   #1478
New Boot

Thanks Rob

Dear Rob, I do believe that you were the helpful soul who solved my last issue some months ago, too. Thank you kindly for the input.

Michael
Old November 12th, 2004, 05:26 AM   #1479
Regular Crew

Firewire Problems with XL1-S

My firewire stopped working, meaning stopped outputting any data from the camera. I took it to Canon here in Manila, and they said the motherboard in the camera was blown, that the firewire component was no longer working.

Luckily, they had a new motherboard in stock, and replaced my old one at the hefty cost. When I picked up the camera this afternoon, they connected the firewire to a Toshhiba laptop to demonstrate that the laptop did indeed detect the presence of the firewire data from my XL1-S.

I was satisfied, and came home and plugged everything in. They had made the point that the camera SHOULD NOT BE POWERED WHEN CONNECTING THE FIREWIRE. I had connected it in the past many times while the camera was on, but suffered no adverse effects. There is nothng in the users manual about connecting the firwire to a camera already powered.

Now, tonight, I mistakenly had the firewire connector (the 6-pin connector) in the computer upside down. I proceded to turn on my Mac G4 and the camera, but found that Final Cut Pro was still not detecting the firewire.

What is going on here? Is it possible that putting in the 6-pin connector wrong would or could blow the mother board in the camera?

Since the 6-pin connector's form factor is square on one side while pointed on the other, doesn't that prevent any disallowed contact between the wrong pins in the connector and the computer connector?

Collis
Collis Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 02:56 PM   #1480
New Boot

wired lav suggestion

Can't find a sennheiser Evolution 100 at the moment and I need a lav mic for a shoot. It will be a single speaker inside sitting at a desk (tying fishing flies) and I'd like a suggestion for a lower cost lav for my xl1s. I'm thinking I want a cardioid vs. an omnidirectional, but as I'm new to this, I'm open to all suggestions.
Thanks
Henry Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2004, 10:35 AM   #1481
Regular Crew

Canon compatability problems?

I use two XL1-s' for video work and have recently purchased a canon MV500i DV camcorder to use purely as a playback machine when uploading to my NLE suite. Problem.. If i have recorded in LP mode on the XL1-s i cannot get any sound playback on the MV500i. I have also tried recording on another canon camera and that's the same. If I record on the other cameras and playback on the XL1-s, no problems.
Any ideas? Do i have a fault on the MV500i?
Carl Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2004, 03:07 PM   #1482
Wrangler

When using LP speed, there always is the potential for playback problms when taking the tape to a different machine. Also, there is the potential that it may not play well on the same maching years later as the machine accumulates hours of use and/or ages.

If the MV500i was used, it could well hae a problm. If new, call Canon service and ask what they suggest
Old November 14th, 2004, 10:10 PM   #1483
Regular Crew

wide for panasonic anamorphic

i'm currently using the standard 16x lens with the panasonic anamorphic adaptor. do the century optics wide adapters have thread in front so i can still use my anamorphic? are there other options to get shorter focal length and still use the anamorphic adaptor?

thanks.
Mo Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 06:39 AM   #1484
RED Code Chef

It could in theory if you where able to get it in. But it doesn't seem
to fit on my firewire port here (just tried). So I'm not to sure what
you are getting at?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 07:27 AM   #1485
Regular Crew

Rob,

Thanks for responding to my post.

Because one of the FW connectors on my G4 is quite loose, it's easy for me to see the possibility that the FW connector (6-pin) could go in upsidedown, if only partially, but enough to do damage, and short out the motherboard. I am afraid this has occurred.

Operator error. But let this be a word of caution that one cannot be too careful about inserting the 6-pin into the PC correctly.

Collis
Collis Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog