DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XL1 / XL1S various posts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/160-xl1-xl1s-various-posts.html)

Dan Uneken October 15th, 2001 05:53 AM

XL1 / XL1S various posts

Hi!

I have a question: my XL-1 has just returned from its first yearly maintenance and I now suddenly have some problems with it.
The letters in the viewfinder are now in bright pink or bright red, while the REC / PAUSE letters and the symbol for the tape are black (negative?).
Also, the first tape I shot with it produced no sound and had the left 1/4th of the picture gray, with the rest of the image full of digital artefacts.
I shot two more tapes after that and they are OK.
Before I go back to Canon (it has been serviced in Barcelona, Spain and I don't know if these people had ever seen an XL-1 before in their lives…) I would like to hear if anyone has experienced anything like this…
Thanks..

Dan.

Guest October 19th, 2001 10:23 AM

Starting HDD capture

I am using the MGI VideoWave III capture software that came with my Sony VAIO computer. It has a direct firewire input/output support function. I have been starting capture manually using the controls in the software screen. I have been editing the files using Adobe Premier 5.1.

When I play the files back into the XL1s I can see no degradation of image or audio quality. The edited files are indistinguishable from the orig. recording.

nojwod69 October 23rd, 2001 10:06 PM

XL1s focus question

G'day from Australia. I've been using an XL1 but to be perfectly honest I wouldn't buy one, because of the lens. Apart from the other problems it is impossible to focus on telephoto, zoom out, start the shot to finish in close, and still retain focus. And as you zoom with a large aperture, you can see the focus hunting around as though the lens isn't a true zoom and they're trying to make up for it with autofocus.

Since I haven't yet read any reports on the focus accuracy of the new lens, and since the Canon site has nothing, I'd just like to ask if anyone has heard anything on whether they've fixed the focus problems with the new lens.

I know there's a manual lens but the attraction of the electronic lens is the steady shot function.

Also when and if I buy it would be with the B&W finder, not the colour one. Does anyone know if Canon intend to offer a pro kit with the B&W finder?

infinity Atlast October 24th, 2001 10:47 PM

How to reduce or minimize aliasing

What are good techniques to minimize aliasing? What would be the proper lighting, settings, filters, etc.? Would I have to sacrifice quality resolution?

Are there software programs that help?

Pierre Vetsch October 26th, 2001 07:11 AM

video stabilizer/XL1

I'm looking for video stabilizer efficient on rough areas (mainly on volcanoes) for an XL1. Which manufacturers, where to buy it, any ideas about a good price ?

Thank in Advance
Pierre

aonikoyi October 31st, 2001 07:04 PM

Flyingpod V SE vs MarzPak

I have been doing a lot of research into some of the more affordable steadicam type rigs and I was wondering if anyone out there has had a chance to use any of them. I am new at this business and I have just purchased an xl1s camera, however even though I may eventually need some type of Pod (tri/mono) I will need something to move about with. I have narrowed down my search to these models however if anyone else out there has a better option, I am open minded.
I am just needing something as versatile enough to be able to be applied to as many applications as possible, meaning no matter what type of shooting I am doing, I would be proud to own so-so and so rig.

Mark Chiocchi November 12th, 2001 10:10 PM

The Pelican Case for the XL1S/GL1 And Them Some

Nice Case.
http://www.fast-mhz.com/XL1/pelican.htm

Mark

Sebastian December 6th, 2001 05:46 AM

Cavision WideAngle PWA06X72

Hello World!

Is someone out there using the 0.6x fixed focal WideAngle adapter (PWA06X72) from cavision? Is the quality compareable to the optex or century w/a adapters?

Would be great, if you could tell me your experiences.

Many thanks and peaceful x-mas from Hamburg,

Sebastian

Carlos Mario Urrea December 6th, 2001 01:08 PM

XL1 - Dropping In some cassetes- Video Heads?

I have my cammera since 1998. And I never have problems till this year. Specially in some tapes the image shows constant little drops in the images. But then I proove whit another tape and the images are perfect. Thats when I say: it is the tape, so I never buy anny one more in the same store. After a few hours of recording the problem appear again, whit a tape bought in a different place. I've try the sony cleaning tape a few times and the problem seams to dessappear. The big problem is that I live in Bogotá, Colombia, and here is no apropiated service for this camcorder. Thats wy I have the fallowing Question:

1. There is some test that I can do to figure out if the problem is about video heads?
2. There is some tip or advice that anybody can give me to solve this problem?
3. How much can cost a Canon Service revision and mantainance in the USA?
4. Could a simple mantainance solve the problems of my camera?
5. It is possible that it implies a change of the video heads?
6. how much it could cost?
7. how long this reapair could take?
8. How I do to e-mail canon Service.

There is no more questions. I hope that somebody could help. Thaks in advance.

From Colombia
Carlos mario Urrea

Drewid20 December 21st, 2001 07:12 PM

Can someone tell me the exact dimensions of the box the XL1 comes in?

Exactly what the thread name says... I need to know the dimensions of the box right from the factory. Please let me know ASAP it is very important.

Ed Frazier December 22nd, 2001 12:12 AM

16" X 15.75" X 11.5" for the XL1S NTSC Kit

Ed Frazier

Drewid20 December 22nd, 2001 04:59 PM

Thanks for the info...

allicatwoman December 29th, 2001 10:27 AM

Pal Xl1

I am shooting my first feature and am curious if anyone has used both the XL1 and the PAL version of the XL1. Has anyone transfered from the XL1 to film? I am considering trading in my XL1 for the DM-XL1 but am also confused about shooting in frame mode. My output has always been web or cd-rom, so this is completely new to me. I have read the articles by Chris Hauser on DV to 35 mm, but would like to hear from others that have gone through this process and managed to keep a full head of hair.

Dish-cam January 1st, 2002 10:42 AM

Matching xl1s w/ vx2000

Anyone have any tips on setting up a Sony vx2000 so it's footage will blend with an xl1s at edit time? Decrease sharpness of Sony, etc.?
Thanks,
Dishcam

Ken Tanaka January 2nd, 2002 06:24 PM

XL1 and a Glidecam

I'm thinking about investing in a Glidecam (www.glidecam.com) image stabilizer for use with my XL1 and GL1. I have 3 questions for anyone who has had experience with these devices.

1. Is there a remarkable difference between the V-8 model (the Mercedes model) and the 4000 Pro + Body Pod model? It looks like both would handle the weight ranges of my cams but the V-8 looks like a more "engineered" product.

2. How much practice time would you anticipate I should expect to devote to getting the hang of either? (I'm reasonably coordinated and of medium build. Walking while chewing gum is no problem for me. <g>)

3. How is the quality of Glidecam's products?

Thanks in advance very much for any input you can provide.