Pics of people holding XL1S?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 12th, 2002, 07:10 PM   #1
hempling

Pics of people holding XL1S??

Newbie here, trying to find the most comfortable way to hold the XL1S while standing.

The manual's "Supporting the Camera", page 24, isn't much help. The section about the SP-100 shows how to attach the shoulder support but doesn't give an illustration of how it should rest on the shoulder. The other manual page, "Camera Holding Styles", page 101, has a better description. Following it's advice is still uncomfortable for me. Still, it is the most detailed starting point provided. Finding a lateral placement on my shoulder that's solid so that I don't have to tilt my head to the left to meet the viewfinder with my right eye is a challenge, even after adjusting the viewfinder's assembly placement on its sliding bracket.

There is one photograph of someone holding an XL1S included in the XL1S factory packed box. It's on the "CANON USA XL SERIES OWNER'S CLUB" insert. The fellow there must have short arms and/or broad shoulders. I'm not able to keep the position shown there for very long. (I wear a 40 long, btw)

Of course, it could all very well be because I'm out of shape. Been doing work in post-production too long. Now there's an idea for an excersize video - Editor's Workout With The XL1S! :-)

All the advice on the boards and articles I've read says that with practice and time, I will find the way and become one with my XL1S. Ah! Thank you, Master!

Ok, OK. Uncle! The financial investment's been made and now I'll invest my soul.

In the meantime, does anyone know of a web page our there with illustrated pointers on XL1S posture for the narrowly framed newbie operator who best learns by observing?

Thanks!
David.
Old April 13th, 2002, 10:52 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

This is a perfectly legitimate concern and I'll try to dig up some photos and possible solutions for you, once I recover from NAB. Until then, please review all of the articles in the "Support Options" section of the Articles Menu of the XL1 Watchdog at www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2002, 03:20 AM   #3
hempling

found some at Soderbergh's Full Frontal Site

Following the Full Frontal link at the top of the XL1 Watchdog site, I was able to see how Soderbergh holds his XL1S by watching some of the behind the scenes quicktimes available there. The one availble in Week 1's set shows taping of a scene outside an adult video store. It is the most helpful one I've found, giving different angles and clear shots of Soderbergh shooting.

Interestingly, he shoots using no additional supports or extenders, resting the middle of the XL1S "butt" on his shoulder. In some of the other clips available on the site, he can be seen holding the camera with just his right hand, his left arm relaxed by his side.

It's also a good opportunity to see what kind of audio set-up is being used. Canon's mic has been replaced with a shotgun mounted using a standard boom mic isolator installed into the camera's accessory shoe. From the look of the wiring, I'd say the mic is wired direcly into the 1/8 inch mic port. (See the "Steven Soderbergh shoots scene of Catherine Keener in sex shop" clip, at onscreen burned in time code "TCR 00:15:43:14". Can't give a link past http://www.fullfrontal.com/ due to the site's flash programming.)

Very interesting - no mini-mount, no XLR-PRO, no MA-100 or 200, no dual charger. There might be a SI-XL1 System Isolater being used to get as much of the camera's backside onto Steven's shoulder as he's getting. Hard to tell.

There is a boom operator nearby, but there's no wire tethering him to the XL1S and he's not carrying around a heafty portabrace bag. He probably has a miniDisc recorder or DATman in his coat pocket. :-)
Old April 14th, 2002, 01:43 PM   #4
Major Player

When I first got my MA-100 I turned around the battery plate to shift the more weight out away from the shoulder pad. When the MA-100 is fully loaded (dual battery holder, wireless) it makes holding the camera on your shoulder much more comfortable.

I don't know if anyone else has tried this.

Here's a picture of the rear end of the rig:

http://www.monsterrocket.com/photos/cam2.JPG
Justin Chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2002, 02:43 PM   #5
Quantum Productions

That's cool Justin!
Looks just like my set up including the Shure wireless on the back!
Unfortunately I can't use the dual charger on the camera as much as I like because I need it for fast charging of all my batteries during weddings(guess I may need another charger).
Old April 14th, 2002, 02:50 PM   #6
Major Player

2 is better than 1

;)

I'm thinking of getting a second Dual Holder for that same reason.
Justin Chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2002, 03:32 PM   #7
Quantum Productions

Hempling:

I mostly video tape weddings with my XL1 and I dread the long ceremonies (hand held) and reception speeches (hand held). My assistant fortunately uses a tripod but I get stuck with a very tired arm and back! There is alot of support brackets out there but I started to exercise more so it's not as bad. These support brackets I'm sure are great but alot of money that we all can't keep spending! (especially in my Canadian dollar!).

I'm working on a home-made system that I hope will be a steady-cam type as well as a "comfortable" support that will be inexpensive. Just keep checking this site as there is so many with new ideas for this beautiful camera....XL1!
Old April 14th, 2002, 09:05 PM   #8
ChorizoSmells

Adam,
another person building their own steadicam, cool, my friend is going to build me one. we saw some designs on this:

http://w1.226.telia.com/~u22607422/steadicamhintsandtips.html

I posted this link on another thread, putting it here just in case you missed it. I wish I could use one to shoot weddings but most of the places where they have the receptions have the tables too close together and I have to run around too much. So for now I have my wife/friends give me a lot of back rubs.

maybe the most important article is the one on style:-)

let me know when you get your rig built, would love to see it.
good luckl
Old April 14th, 2002, 10:02 PM   #9
Quantum Productions

chorizosmells:

His steadi cam looks good! Nice & simple and the video footage is pretty good! Not sure how it would be with the XL1 as it's alot heavier. I'm gonna give it try anyway! My friend is just finishing our steadi-cam and I hope it works as planned. I will post info on it soon.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog