DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XL1 playback problems on other decks (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/16105-xl1-playback-problems-other-decks.html)

Al Smith October 22nd, 2003 12:10 PM

XL1 playback problems on other decks

I am having problems with audio (and video as well) when trying to playback tapes I have recorded with my XL1 on other decks. When I play the tapes back on other decks, I get dropouts and noises. When I play the tapes back on my XL1 everything is fine, no problem. I have had this problem for quite a while now and would like to know what is going on. I have tried everything I know to fix the problem with no luck. I appreciate any help you can give me.

Here is some info you may need to know:

Camera - XL1 (settings: tried stock camera mic, wireless & wired mics via ma-100 and RCA plugs on camera, 16 & 12 bit, SP speed).

Other decks used - Panasonic AG-DV 1000 & Sony DSR-25 and others.

Tapes used - Sony premium 80 & 60 min.

Thanks for the input.
Al

Jeff Donald October 22nd, 2003 12:53 PM

It sounds like a tape path alignment problem, or problem with the heads. You will want to use the XL1 to make copies of the tapes before you get it fixed. Once fixed the tapes will not playback on the XL1. Use FireWire to make the copies so there will be no loss of quality.

Al Smith October 22nd, 2003 01:04 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll call Canon.

Don Palomaki October 23rd, 2003 04:49 AM

Note: You can expect problems if the tapes were recorded at LP speed.

Do old tapes recorded on the XL1 play OK, if they have similar problems, the machine's alignment has changed over time.

Jason Watt October 30th, 2003 11:43 AM

Having Similar Audio Problem

I've been using the camera supplied microphone and been recording 16 bit Audio 1 with no problem. However, I just came back after doing a series of interviews where we connected a Shure SM63 into the RCA Audio 2 line in with an mini plug adapter. I set it up to record at 12 bit ST-1, 2 and during recording monitored the audio through headphones and found it clearest at Stereo2 monitoring. I then decided, due to alot of ambient crowd noice to disconnect the Audio1 Mic. When playing back using RCA jacks out the back of the camera into a TV monitor I found that I had to change or set the audio monitor to stereo2 in order to even hear the audio.

Moving to post, I loaded the tapes into a DSR-11 connected DV in/out firewire to Final Cut Pro and again had video but no audio... Since the PB deck was no longer the XL1 I couldn't change the audio monitor. At this point I am forced to realtime dub the interviews from the master using XL1 as a deck set at Stereo2 onto a blank DV recorded on the DSR-11. The dub's soundtrack is noral and I'm able to capture onto FCP.

I surely would appreciate any help on resolving this in future with regard to the proper audio settings on the XL1, etc., as I'm looking at 2 hours of master having to realtime transfer twice!

Don Palomaki October 31st, 2003 05:50 AM

I do not know FCP, but be aware that many NLE systems cannot capture 4-channel audio via firewire, which means you will have to recapture to get the Audio 2 (ST2) sound. This is a software problem with the NLE, not the XL1. The obvious solution is to use a NLE that can do 4 channel sound in one pass.

Alternatively use 16-bit, 2-channel mode with two external mics (one for talent, one for ambient) to obtain normal capture with capture-limited NLEs..

Jason Watt October 31st, 2003 08:08 AM

Don-

Putting the NLE aside, why wouldn't I be able to hear the audio when I play back the master on a deck (DSR-11) to TV monitor via RCA jacks?

When I did capture from the dubbed DV to FCP (NLE), it was via RCA video and not DV.

I guess I'll try some audio tests with the external mic and the settings you recommend and see if it works.

Thanks and I welcome any further replies..

Don Palomaki October 31st, 2003 05:11 PM

May depend on how the tape player is set-up. My Sony VCR allows selection of Audio 1, Audio 2 or Mixed (with balance control) for the analog output. Check the setup on the DSR-11 for similar controls.