Black and White View Finder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 26th, 2003, 11:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Black and White View Finder

I have a new Monochrome view finder for my XL1s, yesterday on a shoot the view finder became noisy for a few seconds then fizzeled out to no picture at all. Although I did have a picture on the monitor still, and everything else seemed to be functioning properly. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan O'Bannon
Dan O'Bannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2003, 01:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Don't use AC

I pulled out the owners manual a little to late and read the first warning, (The FU-1ooo cannot be powered from an AC/mains outlet) I hadn't used the camera for a while and didn't even think about that on the shoot, bummer! I should have put a little peice of tape on the view finder with the warning on it when I first got the viewfinder.

Does any one know if there is an inside fuse to the FU-1000 or do I now own a very expensive paper-weight?

Dan O'Bannon
Old October 26th, 2003, 09:00 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Dan

You'll probably have to resort to one of the Canon service centers. However, since that particular EVF is made for Canon by Ikegami, it might take a bit longer to get repaired. I'm afraid the only way to find out for certain (perhaps it is just a replaceable fuse) is to send it in.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2003, 12:47 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris, I guess it's time to get out the bubble wrap again, I'm learnin though!

Dan O'Bannon
Old October 27th, 2003, 12:21 PM   #5
Wrangler

So, Dan, what did you do exactly? Use the regular AC adaptor for the XL1 and plug that into the cradle for the B&W viewfinder? And that's a no-no?! I thought I had done that before. Also, I can't see why that would blow up the viewfinder, it only delivers 7.2v vs the 12v that the viewfinder is spec'd for...
Old October 27th, 2003, 12:48 PM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Dan,
Sorry to hear your trouble. Indeed, the FU-1000's instructions mysteriously indicate that it should not be powered via the a/c adapter (as I also noted in my review here). Many people have written to ask me about that warning, indicating that they often use a/c with the viewfinder and have no problems. I've done so myself.

But I imagine there is -some- reason why Ikegami put that warning in the manual. Yours is the first incident I've seen where a problem may have been caused by this.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2003, 02:42 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks guys, The view finder worked fine for an hour of shooting time, but shortly into the second tape the picture in the view finder went noisy then black. I'll set it up one more time tonight and check connections before shipping it to Canon. I'll keep you all posted, in the meantime BE CAREFUL ($$) with that AC on the FU 1000.

Thanks,
Dan O'Bannon

Hooked everything back up, it's toast, I'll let you know what Canon says.
Dan
Old October 28th, 2003, 08:10 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Ken,

Perhaps we should go back to your review and draw out the no-AC warning and make it a bit more prominent? We could wrap it in red text or something along those lines.

This is the first time I've heard of an actual problem with using AC on this viewfinder, by the way. Not a good thing.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 12:11 PM   #9
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Yes, it sounds like we should hit that part a bit harder, at least visually.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 07:38 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I had the same problem, except I was using a battery. Chances are, you blew a fuse in the battery adapter rather than the actual viewfinder itself. Much cheaper... If i remember right, it costs $175 to replace.
I checked mine by simply taking apart the battery adapter, and noticing a rather large black spot where the board was fried.

I would go for the replacement without mentioning anything to canon, that way you could keep your warrenty.
Stephen Birdsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 12:02 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Stephen, are you talking about the part in the wire that attaches the battery holder to the view finder?

I sent the view finder and battery holder to canon today, did you send yours in?
Old November 1st, 2003, 06:18 PM   #12
New Boot

(Excuse me for not having my camera or documentation with me right now to ask a more informed question but...) What is the proper procedure for AC powering while using the FU-1000? Do you take the battery adapter out and hook a battery to it while plugging the AC into the regular battery terminal? Is that even a workable solution? I can't quite remember how the battery adapter plate hooks in right now. Or are FU-1000 users just expected to have more batteries available since they could afford the pricier viewfinder?
Jason Steussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2003, 10:58 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Jason, I'm still waiting to hear from Canon about my view finder, as far as I can tell your supposed to use battery power ONLY on the FU-1000.
Old November 16th, 2003, 05:38 AM   #14
New Boot

To (sort of) answer my own question from above...I used my XL1S with the FU-1000 this weekend with A/C powering the main unit and a battery connected to the viewfinder. It works fine (powering up and down when the camera does) with the FU-1000's power adapter disconnected from the camera body, although you might want to get some velcro to stick it to something to avoid stress on the cables. I found that solution to be a good alternative to worrying that my A/C would fry the viewfinder.
Jason Steussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 12:45 AM   #15
Regular Crew

I got the view finder back from canon, they were vague in there service details and more vague when I called to ask what the problem was. Here is what the service details said: (replace battery holder, deflection pcb) Seems to work fine now but I don't think I'll be using the AC power untill I get more info.

Does anyone know what deflection pcb means?

Dan
Dan O'Bannon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog