Help me solve this shotgun mic problem (w/Canon Xl1s) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 29th, 2003, 10:48 PM   #1
Tourist

Help me solve this shotgun mic problem (w/Canon Xl1s)

I recently purchased an Audio Technica AT835B Shotgun Condenser Mic

see here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=97711&is=REG

and an XLR adapter for my camera

see here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=146137&is=REG

I did put the battery in the mic. The component cables from the XLR adapter are plugged into AUDIO 2 which is on the Camera's handle, and the third wire is plugged into the back of the camera where the flap opens. I cannot plug the adapter into AUDIO 1 because the wires won't reach that far up front, as the adapter is mounted on the back of the camera like a shoulder pad. I've gone through the menu and messed with the settings, as well as the audio switches on the side of the camera. I cannot hear anything being picked up from this mic (I'm using headphones as I test it). Can anybody with similar equipment tell me the exact settings I should put my camera on? Thanks
Michael Mhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2003, 09:04 PM   #2
Major Player

The Pic u sent is the MA-100. I have the slightly bigger MA-200 and the cables stretch perfectly from the XLR adapter to the AUDIO one inputs. Also if the audio cables won't reach then it seems wierd to me. Remember the little power cable has to also be plugged in or else the XLR adapter won't work. I have the same Mic and have AUDIO 1 set to Manual level on the switch, under white cover for AUDIO 1 and on the menu AUDIO 1 input set for MIC input, not LINE.
The fixed audio cables for Right and Left SHOULD reach the AUDIO 1 inputs, as thats exactly what its designed for. But if you dont have the audio cables stretched, then iI dont know how you can have the power cable strech but not the audio cables. I may just completely misunderstand what you mean, but seems very odd to me when you say: "I cannot plug the adapter into AUDIO 1 because the wires won't reach that far up front". AUDIO 1 inputs are on the back. Where the Right, Left and small power plug (looks like a 3.5mm phono jack or whatever it is in inches for americans) goes inbetween the two. Of course you will only get mono from the mic and from left or right channel depending which XLR plug you use on the adapter. But you can pan or copy the sound across to both right and left in the editing stage.

To monitor AUDIO 2 you have to press the AUDIO button on the side of the level meter, and change to AUDIO 1, AUDIO 2 or MIX (I think its called) to monitor all together. But AUDIO 1 are the best ones to be used.

But I would send it back to B&H if those cables dont reach. It's designed for only one camera and thats the XL1 or XL1s. And seems very wierd to me that the cannot reach Audio 1
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 05:41 AM   #3
Wrangler

The Audio 2 input is only used in 12-bit/4 channel audio mode. You have to select that mode from the menu, set the Audio 2 input for the proper input level (mic or mic att) and set the headphone monitor to output the ST2 signal. All covered in the manuals.

As noted by Christopher, the MA-100 is normally used with Audio 1 input jacks at the back of the camcorder, in which case you have to select Audio1 with the switch behind the door and set the level range (mic or mic att) using the menu.

You mention reaching up front, which makes it sould as if you are trying to use the 1/8" mic input jack, not the usual way to use the MA-100.
Old October 31st, 2003, 06:27 PM   #4
Tourist

You guys helped a lot. I plugged the mic into Audio 1 and got it working with the switch set to Mic ATT. The audio monitor seemed to be picking it up, but I was hearing nothing. I decided to capture and see if I could hear what I recorded on there. I was able to hear it, but it was EXTREMELY faint, and only when I shouted into the mic did it come out semi-clear.

Something is still wrong. Maybe my XLR cable is bad..?
Michael Mhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2003, 06:01 AM   #5
Wrangler

If you are using the Audio 1 input, with a mic and MA-100, you will have to set the level to MIC or MIC ATT. This is done using the the menu system.

The Audio1/MIC switch behind the door is set to Audio 1. (Note that the MIC and MIC ATT settings of this switch apply to the 3.5mm mini-phone mic jack only)

The Audio 1 In on the menu is set to MIC or MIC ATT 20 depending on the output level of your mic. (This setting defaults to line, which results in very low levels when a mic is connected)

The MA-100 is connected to the Audio 1 jacks on the back of the camcorder and the 2.5mm sub mini phone connector is plugged into the 5 VDC connector on the back of the camcorder (it provides power for the MA100).

The Audio Mode setitng is set for the mode you are using, typically 16-bit for 2-channel rcording from th Audio 1 or built-in mic.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog