Is this possible ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 31st, 2003, 11:45 PM   #1
Tourist

Is this possible ?

I have an old panasonic dv cam , I'm wondering if I can take the lcd monitor off of it and somehow mod it to fit my XL-1 , has anyone out there tried something like this before? If I'm way off base here just tell me I'm nuts LOL , Just thinking of a little project.
Thanks for any help
Samson
Samson Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2003, 12:14 AM   #2
Trustee

Samson,

You could either modify your VF cable to create a breakout for the LCD or splice on a composite connector and connect using the video out on the back of the camera. For a mount you could get a hot shoe attachment and rig it to the LCD. Powering the LCD, I have no idea. I guess it's all possible it just depends on how good you are with electronics as to which way you go.

The big question is why? Do you want a bigger image for framing, because that's all it's going to be good for. LCDs, especially older ones are not really sharp/high res enough for focus judgement.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2003, 01:20 AM   #3
Tourist

Yeah its just for framing I dont need a crisp screen , though it sounds like more trouble than its worth. I think I'll just buy a lcd with the outputs already there . Any suggestions on a good one and remember I dont need top of line res.
Thanks again
Samson
Samson Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2003, 02:51 AM   #4
Trustee

You're right there it is more trouble than it's worth. Check out our sponsors for good deals on LCD monitors.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog