DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Wireless Mic / System Recommendation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/16522-wireless-mic-system-recommendation.html)

Jason Watt November 1st, 2003 12:05 PM

Wireless Mic / System Recommendation

I'm looking into using a wireless microphone system on my XL1 for use with a roving reporter and man on the street interviews. My idea is laveller for the reporter and he would carry handheld for those he interviews. Following Canon's website for accessories, I would need the MA-100 & third party Audio Technica ATW-U102 Camera Mount UHF Plug On System.

I would welcome any recommendations on a reliable & cost friendly wireless lav & handheld. The reporter will be both inside and outside.

Thanks!

Rob Wilson November 1st, 2003 12:19 PM

Jason,

If you want the reporters lav to be wireless and for them to have a stick mic that's also wireless, you're talking two seperate transmitters AND receivers. That's why you'll see lots of reporters with a wireless stick only! There are systems that have a belt pack transmitter that will work with either a lav or stick and they would probably be your best bet. Some require a special cable to go from the xmtr to the stick so look at that.

Jason Watt November 1st, 2003 12:32 PM

Rob-

Any systems you have used and like? It sounds like I'll stick (no pun intended) with just the wireless stick....

Nathan Gifford November 3rd, 2003 01:30 PM

Sennheiser Evolution 100 system. The have both a wireless hand mic, and clip on for your favorite wireless mic.

Rob Wilson November 3rd, 2003 02:40 PM

Jason,

As with most everything video, it all depends on your budget. You can spend as little as a couple of hundred or a couple of thousand (I just got a Lectrosonics that was close to that). What price range did you have in mind.

Jason Watt November 3rd, 2003 03:08 PM

Dear Nathan & Rob-

It looks like the Sennheiser Evolution 100 is priced right for me as I don't see spending thousands for a system.

That being said and if I understand the specs correctly, this system would allow the use of the wireless lav & stick at the same time, correct? It also includes the wireless lav but I would be required to purchase a wireless handheld mic, even though the transmitter for the handheld is included. Being that the transmitter is Sennheiser, do I have to purchase a Sennheiser wireless handheld as well?

Thanks for your help and I look forward to your replies...

Nathan Gifford November 4th, 2003 05:05 PM

In order to use 2 audio sources simultaneously you have 2 pairs of trabsmitters and receivers working on different frequencies. Having two transmitters on the same frequency causes all kinds of problems for the receiver. So if your plan is to use two mics at the same time, you will need two kits.

You can use the bodypack transmitter with your stick mic; you just can use both on the same transmitter at the same time. Not all mics will do this (forget using phantom powered mics). Still I have not problem use my Shure hand mic with bodypack transmitter.

Sennheiser also makes a transmitter that will clip onto a wide variety of XLR mics. It looks a little boxy, and may be somewhat heavy (I do not know since I don't have one), but it should work. The other solution is to use Sennheiser own wireless stick mic.