DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Yet another XL2 thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/16746-yet-another-xl2-thread.html)

Frederic Segard November 6th, 2003 08:43 AM

Yet another XL2 thread

I know there are lots of rumors, wish lists, and release dates circulating about the XL2. But are there any glimpse of practical information on this new cam? Any links?

So far, all I got from possible specs on the new XL2 are: 24p, 30p, true 16:9, possible HDV, and manual iris. With a release date by end of 2003. Is all this hype and wishful thinking?

Don Berube November 6th, 2003 09:58 AM

Not sure who told you that the release date is the end of 2003,,, we have been told repeatedly by Canon to state that the XL2 will not be released until after NAB 2004.

- don

Dylan Couper November 6th, 2003 12:57 PM

Re: Yet another XL2 thread

<<<-- Originally posted by Frederic Segard :
So far, all I got from possible specs on the new XL2 are: 24p, 30p, true 16:9, possible HDV, and manual iris. With a release date by end of 2003. Is all this hype and wishful thinking? -->>>

I think that's a best case scenario that it would include all of the above.

Plus what Don says about NAB 2004

Nathan Gifford November 6th, 2003 01:20 PM

Yeah, after NAB is a better bet.

The rumors of its release I think are rooted in the XL-1S rebate program. Some people have extrapolated that the XL-2 would after the program is over: there is no hard information yet that is true.

If the XL-2 is going to be released next year, start watching for features rumors to start in the first quarter of next year. At this stage anyone who knows the skinny have signed ironclad NDAs (Non Disclosure Agreements) and ain't a gonna say...

Murad Toor November 6th, 2003 06:12 PM

NAB 2004

I hope Canon doesn't wait for the NAB convention to release the XL2.

A better place would be a WEVA-like conference.

Little more than a handful of broadcasters probably actually use XL series cameras. The main market for this camera is prosumers, independent video/film people, and wedding/ event/ corporate videographers, as far as I can tell.

The same goes for Final Cut Pro. Apple announced and demo'd FCP 4 at NAB this year, while only a little more than a handful of broadcasters use the product.

I hope I'm wrong about the above though, because I'm a senior broadcast journalism student compiling my resume tape by producing, shooting and reporting with my XL1-s, and editing the resulting news packages with Final Cut Pro.

Stephen Schleicher November 6th, 2003 06:23 PM

Actually NAB is THE place to release the XL2. The first year the XL1 was released you had to stand 30 people deep just to catch a glimpse of it.

When the XL1-S was released you could walk right up the camera at NAB, pick it up, and walk around the show floor with it as no one really seemed to care. I think the general consensus was... oh they just fixed a few things... big whoop.

I think when the XL2 is released there will be a mob at the NAB booth.

Interestingly, I have my reservations about NAB 2004. I would think Canon would try to get as many sales of the XL1s done before introing a new unit. Sony has done this with the PD-150 - they waited forever before releasing an update in the disappointing PD-170... :(

Of course this is Canon who seem to release new cameras as soon as the can. (can anyone say ZR line?)

Just my 2 cents.

Don Berube November 6th, 2003 08:37 PM

Let's just say that Canon knows exactly what they are doing ;-)

- don

Michel Brewer November 7th, 2003 01:52 AM

lets just hope

that for those of us who decide to upgrade to the XL2 at some point are not left with xl series items like 3x and 16x manual lens among others that wont work on the new cam......

M

Aaron Koolen November 7th, 2003 03:18 AM

I'm interested to see from those people who are more in the know about Canon, think they'll fair with any new camera they release. I've known more than one company (Anyone remember Commodore ;) ) that just couldn't keep up and failed to realise what to do with a potentially amazing product. The XL1 series is a fine camera, we all know this, but the DVX100 has been out for a long time now, so do you guys think that what Canon will bring out will be a new leap ahead, or will we in NAB just see the new DVX version which will again put Canon on the back foot?

I always like companies that jump ahead of the rest and take a risk, that's why I'm impressed with Panasonic taking the leap and bringing out a truly cool camera.

Any thoughts? And no I'm not specifically asking for what features it will have or when it will come out ;)

Aaron

Stephen Schleicher November 7th, 2003 08:22 AM

I'm definately not in the know about anything canon, but I'm sure they think mighty highly of themselves with the success of the XL1.

With this "attitude" I think they will do anything they want - including keeping the prices outrageously high for a camera that should be about $1000-$1500 less than they currently sell it for (Microcenter still has it for $4500).

I would hope they do something revolutionary, but...

Jed Williamson November 7th, 2003 09:26 AM

Sundance 2005 as the XL2 goal

I think that press about Sundance this year will be all about movies made with the dvx100 giving it even more hype, as the pd150 kinda got with tadpole/personal velocity last year.

If the XL2 features include native 16x9 & 24P & hi def plus the ability to switch lenses, indy films would probably dominate Sundance in 2005.

Maybe they could even give 2 prototypes to Robert Rodriquez & he can create a prequel to the mariachi movies & include the 10 min film school as a promo for potential XL2 buyers :)

Don Berube November 7th, 2003 11:16 AM

>>>>With this "attitude" I think they will do anything they want - including keeping the prices outrageously high for a camera that should be about $1000-$1500 less than they currently sell it for (Microcenter still has it for $4500).

- I doubt anyone is going to buy an XL1S from MicroCenter for full retail when most people are picking them up for street prices ranging around $3600 or so. Don't forget about the nice $500 rebate. That is not expensive when you consider what it allows you to do - and that if you are charging for your services, it basically pays for itself on the 2nd or third job... mine has easily paid for itself several times over at this point.

>>>>I would hope they do something revolutionary, but...

- With all of the money Canon has been consistently investing into R&D for the past few years (Canon is pretty much the only camera manufacturer that invests close to 10% of their yearly profits into R&D), it will most likely be evolutionary.

- don

J. Clayton Stansberry November 7th, 2003 01:06 PM

Echoing what Aaron said...

With all of the "hype" and speculation about an XL2 (if they even call it that), I think other camera upgrades have been forgotten. What if Panasonic does release the next DVX before the XL2? What then????

just some thoughts...

Nathan Gifford November 7th, 2003 01:39 PM

If the XL2 comes out with some form of HD (I doubt it will be the full HD the big boy$ have) is what kind of HD it will have.

If you want to spectulate on what the XL-2 will have, keep in mind that the target will be the price: what can Canon cram into a $4,500 cam.

David Ziegelheim November 8th, 2003 05:54 AM

Now if Canon could put in a 1/2" 16:9 CCD that would be a show stopper. And how about 12-bit or higher A/D converter. And an auto-knee to limit blown out whites.

All of this could be done for $4,500. The 1/2" 16:9 CCD would allow an impressive wide angle. (Just used a 4.5mm Canon lens on an 2/3" SDX-900 and it was over twice as wide as a DVX100).