Reds at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 9th, 2003, 07:41 PM   #1
Major Player

Reds

I'm still new to XL1s and getting used to how it handles and everything. The other day I had a lot of shots that had lots of reds and I found the XL1s producing very hot reds. The problem has probably been there since day one, but most shots have been without reds. So everyone else notice this on certain shades or red, more like real red reds like those on T-Shirts or flags.

So how do you all mostly combat this? In the post or by using Color Phase on the XL1s? Let me know how what and how you do what you do regarding this.

Thanks!
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2003, 08:43 AM   #2
Wrangler

Before making any adjustments what type monitor are you viewing this with? Composite, S-Video? Reds always seem to saturate the quickest. When I view them on a composite monitor they bleed all over the place. On S-Video, they look fine.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2003, 09:47 AM   #3
Wrangler

It can also depend on how your white balance is set.

I recorded a version of Romeo and Juliet which was set in Shaghi, the director decided that he wanted to use a lot of red.

With out a proper white balance card most of the production was more red than I liked, even though it seemed OK in the viewfinder.

All the best,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2003, 04:34 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for your input. I was viewing on composite but even on S-video they seemed a bit hot. I was just wondering what everyone uses on Colour Phase. The scene had tungsten and natural light mix, that could not really be avoided, so white balance was done to get best possible mix and meet somewhere in the middle. But I think its just the shade of reds they were as even white balanced under 100% tungsten they still seemed to bleed a little.. I just wondered if anyone uses the Colour Phase on one notch to Green to get slightly less reds or you just leave it in the centre???????

Also Ed did you go to Shanghi? But Shaghi sounds like a better place to film, for obvious reasons..wink wink...LOL. I guess any americans not getting the joke have not seen Austin Powers films explaining our rich vocab in the UK.
Old November 10th, 2003, 10:20 PM   #5
Major Player

The XL-1 seems to get the most confused with reds, imho. I always do a white balance with normal lights before a live theater shoot, but when the DL decides a scene looks great in red-only light, I know that I have a lot of work to do in post. Just trying to keep from blowing out the highlights is a real challenge!
Old November 11th, 2003, 03:44 AM   #6
Wrangler

Chris,

If only!!! I meant Shanghi. Yeah baby!!!.

If you want to see a still of how it came out move your mouse over the romeo and juliet picture. second one in from the top.

http://www.videoproduction4u.tv/prod.htm

When part of it was shown on BBC I could not belive how much red there was.

Thanks,

Ed

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old November 11th, 2003, 10:47 AM   #7
Major Player

I took a look at your web-link, Ed -- nice site.

Looks like you had some challenges there. It sounds like the XL-1s has some color phasing features that my XL-1 doesn't.

The main problem I've found is that the DLs light up the set for the best effect, with little regard for filming. It's amazing how many hot spots the camera can find that aren't obvious to the eye. My finger never leaves the iris control!

Cheers
Old November 11th, 2003, 11:45 AM   #8
Major Player

I had a look and I like the purple colour in it, very much like in one of the Kung Fu films I have. But there's some reds there!! If you look at the red part on the frame (right next to his backside) thats the type of red bleed I was getting - bit like on their faces. Almost looks the same as mine but a little darker red tones than mine. I know when I have used Sony there is a certain tone of blue that would cause the camera to go a bit funny. And on Fuji they seem to have slightly orangey reds. Oh well guess its just part of the joys of colour balancing. :)

So what settings did you have on your presets and settings??? Or did u not use the XL1s? I know the Beeb like their Sonys and remember someone telling me about a special remote for the PD150 that lets you access "hidden" parts on the menu adjusting processor, like Black adjustments. BBC are always tweeking their gear.
Old November 12th, 2003, 05:20 AM   #9
Wrangler

It was shot with my XL1. As far as I was aware, I was using manual white balace, manual iris and shutter, I also think I had AE shift set to something but I don't know what. Being an XL1 I don't have the colour phase/ colour adjustments like on the XL1s.

Vic -

Thanks for the little comment on my site, there is still a bit to do!!!

I hate it when I turn up to a theartre production and I find out that there is a lot of 'red' or some seens are so dark that the camera cannot pick out any features.

I guess its something I will have to live with.

Cheers,

Ed

Old November 12th, 2003, 08:17 AM   #10
Wrangler

The other nice thing about the S is that it has 3 white balance memories that you switch to. Its a real handy feature.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog