DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   protection (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/1697-protection.html)

nicolasix April 19th, 2002 05:15 PM

protection

I'll be buying an XL1s in August, so I've been doing some research on what kind of case or bag I oughta purchase for my camera. Money isn't much of an issue, as long as the thing doesn't cost too much. Here's my quick question. Is the metal case that Canon sells worth the $400? And how handy is a bag? I'm talking about something like the Kata. Thanks, NS

B. Moore April 19th, 2002 06:29 PM

Hello,
I wanted my XL-1 well protected so I bought a Pelican 1620 case w/foam. $200.21 delivered.

watertight to 30 ft under water
has pull-up handle, PLUS 3 DIFFERENT SIDE HANDLES
Has wheels
NOT AS CONSPICUOUS AS A LARGE CUMBERSOME SHINNY SILVER METAL CASE!(that screams out camera inside!)

If you decide on the pelican w/foam, I'll be more than glad to show you how to fit the XL-1, shotgun mic, hand mic, wireless set up, flashlight, 5 tapes 2 (add'l) batterys, earphone headset, manual lens, original lens, 1.6 extender, 2 lens hoods, and all well protected.

Bruce

nicolasix April 19th, 2002 06:51 PM

Thanks, B., for the info. I'm fairly new to all this, so any help is great. Do you have a link to Pelican's website, or, barring that, a link to any reputable places that sell their stuff? Thanks again. -NS

B. Moore April 19th, 2002 06:59 PM

Got it at Web 2 O L.L.C.

TRY Web2O(not a zero).com
1-800-214-3773

CURRENT PRICE IS UP $2.20 TO $175.95 (JUST CHECKED)

973-564-8166 in N.J.

BRUCE

nicolasix April 19th, 2002 07:12 PM

Nice. Thanks for the link: I've got it bookmarked. -NS

B. Moore April 19th, 2002 07:19 PM

Hi.

If you notice they accept credit cards at no add'l charge.

By the way, why don't you put in your profile where you're from?

Chris Hurd April 19th, 2002 07:20 PM

See also the custom XL1 case from Cases Plus on the Watchdog: www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm > Articles Menu > Storage & Transport

nicolasix April 19th, 2002 08:14 PM

Saw those, Chris, and I'll keep them on the shortlist. Thanks again for the wonderful site. I've learned more about the XL1s from the Watchdog than all other places combined.

And Bruce: My profile has been updated. Guess I was a tad too eager to get to the forums...

Guy Pringle April 19th, 2002 10:54 PM

Hi NS,

I have the XL1S with the MA-200 and CH-910. I wanted a bag that would allow me to leave these accessories on. I went with KATA because Porta-brace uses leather, but that's another forum.

I was a little disappointed with the Kata CCC-1 case, because when you place the camera in the bag with the MA-200 attached, the audio wires which come out the right side of it get badly bent. The bag stats say it's a little over 6" at the narrowest (internally) but actually that measurement is at the seam at the rear. The narrowest section is actually about 4", right where the MA-200's wires stick out the side. I was considering sending it back but I squeezed the divider in and that made it OK, phew!

Nevertheless, it's still a bit of a tight squeeze, but is a great bag.

B. Moore April 19th, 2002 11:35 PM

Bruce Again,

I forgot to add there is also room for the remote wld-2000, 3 72mm close-up attachments +1,+2,+3 .

When I place the camera in the alotted space it has the body, auto lens, view finder, Ma-100, and CH-910 with a 941 battery attached, all assembled, ready to shoot(but no tape in camera)

I have also added an on/off switch to the wire of the ch-910 which attaches to the camera's battery attachment spot on the right side of camera( this switch when turned to off prevents battery drain, since if a battery is connected to camera it will trickle down, and the switch prevents this.)