XL1s On-camera mic Zoom noise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 12th, 2003, 12:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL1s On-camera mic Zoom noise

I'm a newbie to the list and to the XL1s. I bought the XL1s starter kit and am using the standard stereo mic supplied. I just taped an all afternoon conference for a nearby community college and in order to get the lecturer's audio signal up to -12db on VU I had to turn up the mic volume to about 3:30. I wasn't using headphones, so I was unaware that when I used the Zoom the on-camera mic would pick up the Zoom noise. In fact, I've also found in general that this on-camera mic tends to pick up any kind of fumbling around one does on the camera while recording. Any solutions?! What have others done to isolate the mic from the camera? Any suggestions for alternative mic-mounts or mics?
Dan Gutwein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2003, 12:44 PM   #2
Wrangler

Not an unusual problem. Try the Mini-Mount from Lightwave Systems.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2003, 08:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Mini-Mount of System Isolator?

Both of these Canon products cost about the same amount. I wonder if Lightwave's mic mount is better for isolating the mic than their system mount which isolates mic and viewfinder assembly. If the latter is just as good, then it provides you with a way to better balance the camera on your sholder, by moving the camera back almost 2 inches. Does anyone have experience with sound isolation and the Lightwave's "system isolator?"
Dan Gutwein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 06:02 AM   #4
Wrangler

May not eliminate the issue for you, but might help. With the existing Canon EVF mic mount, be careful not to over tighten the mic clamp screw. If too tight it will compress the isolation/damping material too much and increase coupling of mechanical noises to the mic.
Old November 13th, 2003, 11:02 AM   #5
Major Player

I use the mini-mount, it does not help with the zoom noise issue. I have not tried the system isolator though.

Personally I think it's an internal shielding issue, with all of those electronic parts so close together, it wouldn't surpise me.
Old November 13th, 2003, 11:23 AM   #6
New Boot

It wouldn't be very tough to engineer a unit for the mic. Rather like a microphone stabilizer for tabletops...the mic suspended from all directions by cord of some kind.

I've also found (go figure) that using cotton balls or a thin sponge around the inside of mic grip will deaden the vibration sounds and the zoom sounds as well.
Old November 20th, 2003, 05:56 AM   #7
Major Player

In my case, the mini-mount has indeed solved the problem.

Best regards,
Arnaldo
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog