xl1s vs dvx100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 12th, 2003, 04:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

xl1s vs dvx100

Hello guys

if I am shooting a small feature , not to be transfered later to film then which camera will be better ......in terms of resolution and film look

and if I want to transfer to film later .....which would be better

xl1s
or
dvx100

I currently own an xl1 for last 4 years...for events and all but this is a feature.....

please advice

Thanks
Old November 13th, 2003, 01:38 AM   #2
Wrangler

You will find that most people agree the DVX100 has more of a film look. Unless you are getting funding for your project, and/or it's going to make money, I probably wouldn't switch. If someone else is paying for it, go for it.

Do a search on here for XL1 vs. DVX100. Its been discussed many times before.
Old November 13th, 2003, 02:36 AM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I own both cameras and, all things equal, would tend to agree with Dylan but with some qualifications.

You can review the many threads in the DVX100 forum here, as well as the Panasonic site's description of the DVX100, to get an idea of that camera's features so I won't waste time comparing and contrasting features here. The DVX100 is a fine new-generation DV camera and much fun to work with.

But the fact is that the XL1s is abundantly capable of producing results largely on-par with the DVX100, certainly for non-film projects. (One of the best examples I've seen lately is Jami Jokinen's Lady X Films series' Episodes 21 and 22, linked below.) If you have 4 years experience with the XL1s you probably know the camera very well. My suggestion would be to strongly consider sticking with the tool you know for your project. Aside from 24p and several other adjustments, the fact is that these cameras have far more in common than in distinction, most prominently they're both 1/3" cameras. Focus on telling your story rather than learning a new tool.

Of course if you're just bored with the XL1s and looking for an excuse to buy the DVX100, then go for it.

(If you -really- want to knock 'em dead on your film, look at renting a Panasonic SDX900. It's the finest 2/3" 24p SD camera on the planet.)

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 09:49 AM   #4
Regular Crew

guys

thankyou for the advice ....it is actually being funded by somebody so I thought if I might try dvx 100

but I think I will let them buy the varizoom tilt and pan controller and a cobra crane and stick with xl1

thanks again

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog