Canon XL1 & XL1S Batteries / Battery Options - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 29th, 2003, 05:13 PM   #241
Regular Crew

Battery Megasource

Have a look a batterymegasource.com, they've got all kinds of stuff at superb prices compared with UK high street.

I've bought from them four times now and things have always reached Luton in three or four days. It's all unbranded, made in China etc but performs fine; eg. the spare XL1 3600mAh bat gives about 15 mins more shooting time than the 3000mAh original.
Old December 8th, 2003, 12:55 AM   #242
Regular Crew

I occasionally borrow IDX Endura batterys. Adaptor on the rear. On for a shoo for 5 hours, still had 40% left! Need more power, just attach another battery onto the battery. The larger batteries also give the camera better balance.
The thing about the IDX v-mounts are that they go directly onto Sony broadcast cameras as well. I need to get them myself. nice.

XL1 adaptor
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=242078&is=REG

battery & charger
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=231387&is=REG
Takeshi Fukushima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2003, 07:55 PM   #243
Major Player

Record Time on 7.2V BP-945 Battery

How long can one expect in record time using the 7.2V BP-945 Li-Ion battery?
Mark A. Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2003, 01:37 AM   #244
Regular Crew

I just shot a soccer match yesterday using this battery. The camera was turned on for around 2 hours. Actual recording was for a full 60-minute tape. After I finished, the battery indicator was on 50%. So I assume you can safely shoot more than 2 hours with it.
Nawaf Alali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2003, 05:09 AM   #245
Major Player

Thanks....
I have been shooting wedding via A/C power source...but am concerned about pwoer glitches and lost of mobility being tied to a cord.
Mark A. Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2003, 05:43 AM   #246
Major Player

I use two 945s on the CH910 when recording auto races. The camera is always on for at least four hours, sometimes five and I normally record at least three hours with lots of zooming. Then next day I use the same batteries to rewind and capture all tapes. (single pass scan and capture with no stop/rewind/start during the capture) All this is done without recharging. These batteries are two years old now and they can still record the entire event but might give up sometime during capture of the last tape.

When using the CH910 you don't get a "fuel guage" in the viewfinder, only the flashing red battery message when power gets low. With another battery ready, you can take one off the CH910 and replace it on-the-fly and the record or capture process is not interrupted. (might be hard to change one while recording unless you have an assistant though)
Old January 27th, 2004, 08:06 AM   #247
New Boot

Battery falls off

Anyone else had the same problem with the battery on the XL1 falling off because the stop under the battery does not not seem the extend out enough to give the battery support.. Any quick fixes out there or is this one for the pros at the shop?

Thanks
Old January 27th, 2004, 09:35 AM   #248
Obstreperous Rex

Consider a professional battery solution which mounts on the rear of the camera via the MA100 or MA200 accessory bracket, such as Anton Bauer, IDX or Aspen.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2004, 10:00 AM   #249
Warden

Some brands of batteries fit better (higher quality moldings) than others. If you're using a third party battery, you might try the Canon brand. Also, the locking components on both the battery and the camera locking mechanism are plastic. To the best of my knowledge all cameras in this prosumer category use plastic components, so this is nothing out of the ordinary. The plastic wears and over time and use requires replacement.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2004, 03:33 PM   #250
Wrangler

Has the spring on the battery retainer/release button lost its spring, or is the projection that locks the battery in the 'up' position worn down?

As an interim measure try wedge a piece of something about 1/4" thick under the inserted battery to prevent its slipping down and out. Maybe tape it to the battery to hold the wedge in place.
Old January 27th, 2004, 04:40 PM   #251
New Boot

Thanks,
Yes, the spring has lost its spring. I guess after time we all seem to do that. I will try wedging something under it untill I get a pro battery. That is the next item on my list.
Thanks muchly
Old January 27th, 2004, 05:04 PM   #252
Warden

Small pieces of velcro can help too. You don't want to be dropping your battery as it can be severely damaged.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2004, 12:46 AM   #253
Trustee

got a 7.2V 6000mAh battery pack, will it really go 8 hrs?

bp-945 is only 4500mAh by comparison and runs for how long? i dunno i haven't used it. i just recently got an XL1s and was duped (?) by salesguy to buy 2 battery packs. it was advertised as 8 hrs. will it really do that long during normal usage?
Old February 1st, 2004, 02:14 AM   #254
Outer Circle

I doubt it'll do 8 hours, but anything over 2 hours is good---probably do 5.5 hours or so. For example, all my 2-hour batteries actually only do about 1.2 hours---with using the LCD, a tad less.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2004, 07:37 AM   #255
Wrangler

IMHO a battery that outlasts a tape is a great to have. Easy to change batter when tape is changed.

Battery runtime will depend on your shooting technique and modes, whether AF and OIS is on or off, how much zooming you do, etc. As a rough approximation I would say divide the MAH rating by 2000 for a reasonable safe guess of the reliable "camcorder on (in any mode) time" you can get from a battery, and you may get more from a fresh, young battery. And as batteries age, the on time figure drops.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog