DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Canon XL1 & XL1S Batteries / Battery Options (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/1702-canon-xl1-xl1s-batteries-battery-options.html)

John Klein April 29th, 2002 11:06 PM

I've got two batteries and want to know if I'm hurting them by using one battery over and over while the other one is just sitting in the bag or getting the occasional top-off charge? Is there any point in rotating them? Will the one battery die sooner (because it's used a lot) and the other one stay "like-new?"

Ken Tanaka April 29th, 2002 11:15 PM

Batteries do have rated number of recharge cycles. I would recommend rotating them for best results and longevity.

geronimo May 3rd, 2002 04:46 PM

easy question on backup battery CR2025

I have just borrowed this camera video and the battery cr2025 is missing, i get the sign for the little battery normal but as well when i try to put a dv tape it doen't want to reconize it and i have the icon telling me that there is no tape in the view finder, normal? if i get this battery it should be fine? thanks for your help

Andrew Leigh May 4th, 2002 12:18 AM

Hi Geronimo,

this 2025 is to ensure the camera remembers all the basic camera settings and program info it had when it left the factory.

As to if it sorts out your problem? I'm sure it will. Whether you like it or not you gotta have one. I always keep a spare in my camera box.

Regards
Andrew

Adrian Douglas May 4th, 2002 06:35 AM

Be sure to push the tape transport in first and let it go down before closing the tape compartment door. Don't close the door and let it push the transport.

If that dosen't work I'd get the tape transport checked, it sounds like something is amiss.

geronimo May 4th, 2002 08:09 AM

thanks Adrian that was the problem, it is working now.

Adrian Douglas May 4th, 2002 09:16 AM

Yeah, it usually is something simple. It's a pretty reliable camera, and most problems are often user error.

LiaRooze May 9th, 2002 11:14 AM

Suggestions on battery belts

I have added accessories and will be doing longer on location shoots now I realize I will need more/longer battery power.

I looked at B&H's selection and got a little confused. I think the batteries I use on the camera are 7.v but the belts seem to say 12 volts? Also what chargers or connectors should I worry about, there is a rather large selection.

I need roughly 6 to 7 hours worth of power for on location shoots. (large building no power). The only other accessory is a 5"Nebtek monitor mounted on the camera, that I hope to connect also.

Suggestions on good belts and where to buy very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
—Lia

Ken Tanaka May 9th, 2002 12:58 PM

Hello Lia,

Indeed, the XL1 uses a 7.2 volt power supply. Larger cameras and lighting gear often use a 12 volt supply.

I'd recommend getting the Canon CH-910 dual battery charger/holder. As its name implies, it can hold (and charge) 2 batteries simultaneously. It has a belt clip (just don't forget you're wearing it when you walk away from the camera <g>). You can also mount it to the back of the camera if you have an MA-100 or MA-200 adapter.

I'd also recommend the Power 2000 high-capacity batteries (if you can find them). These are BP-945 replacements that feature 6000 mAh of power (vs the Canon BP-945's 4500 mAh). If you can't find them, the Canon BP-945's will be fine. (I think others found yet another brand, but I don't recall what it was.)

The Nebtek monitor uses the same batteries as your XL1 so that should be no problem. Since it sips power you can use a lower capacity battery for that.

Where to buy? ZGC (one of our site's sponsors) is an excellent source for this gear. B&H is also a highly reputable supplier.

One last tip. It sounds like you'll be in a challenging location. If you need power for other stuff take a look at

http://www.store4power.com/

They have a variety of portable batteries (with inverters) which can be really handy if you don't want to deal with a noisy, smelly generator. Very reasonably priced, too. I've used one of their Jazz Portable Power 250 units to run a Lowel caselight 4. These are also handy gizmos to have around the house for power outages.

Good luck on your shoot, Lia!

jukulu33 May 9th, 2002 09:11 PM

You might want to check out NRG Research at the following URL:

http://www.nrgresearch.com/pp.html

scroll down the page to the professional power belts. don't know if that's what you're looking for . . .

Ed Frazier May 10th, 2002 05:56 AM

You might want to check the following thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1702&highlight=battery+adapter

12v adapters are discussed there.

LiaRooze May 10th, 2002 09:49 AM

Great reply's

I will look into the links suggested.

I'm hoping to power the camera 7v and the Nebtek monitor 12v at the same time, but not nessarily on same battery. Some kind of belt combination. I am shooting in a 560.000 sg ft building with no power inside (yet). I called Nebtek and they said they will look into it too.

These boards are great. I think it says someting about the quality of folks shooting video and willing to build community I don't think you'd find a better bunch anywhere!

A big THANK you!

Lia

Chris Hurd May 10th, 2002 10:05 AM

Lia, when you call Nebtek, be sure to speak to Rob DuBree. He knows me personally and is a member of the boards here. Thanks and looking forward to your input,

LiaRooze May 10th, 2002 11:09 AM

Yep I did...

Great guy, he mentioned you too...now off to a shoot up in Lake County, better informed and better equipped thanks to you know who.

—Lia

Ed Frazier May 10th, 2002 04:19 PM

Hi Lia,

Since your monitor is 12v it sounds like the XL7A adapter from www.aspenelectronics.com is just what you are looking for. With it you can power everything with one 12v battery.