DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Who uses multiscan monitors? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/17252-who-uses-multiscan-monitors.html)

Brad Horner November 17th, 2003 10:58 PM

Who uses multiscan monitors?

I am wondering what the best way to view your work before uploading into the NLE? I'm posting here just in case this question is unique for the XL1s. Also, there is a multiscan with 3 seperate BNC rbg adaptors. Is that doable, or of any benefit?

Brad Horner November 18th, 2003 09:07 PM

Well, I am the only one replying to my own thread. Maybe someone can point me to a primer (online or book) on how to view, color correct, etc. using a monitor. I am thinking about the studio environment only for now. Actually I want to use a 2nd monitor for NLE and use that same 2nd monitor for color correcting live, if possible. Before wasting my money, I thought I would ask here, and not being sure if there were any XL1s specific issues, I am posing to this XL1 section.

Anyway, in my mind (for now), I am thinking of getting the multiscan and then replacing the poor viewfinder when there is enough money.

Boyd Ostroff November 18th, 2003 09:48 PM

Your post confused me since you mentioned multi-scan monitors but that's a term I've always seen in relation to computer monitors that work at different refresh frequencies. However it sounds like you were really talking about an NTSC monitor to connect to your camcorder. Or do you want one monitor that will do both?

Is there such a thing? Perhaps.... I have an old Radius 17" monitor which is actually a re-branded Sony Trinitron with component video input as you describe. It uses an adaptor cable to hook up to a VGA adaptor. I got this thing around 1996 - quite expensive, around $2000 IIRC and it's still in use at work.

Nowadays you can get LCD screens that have separate inputs for VGA, component (via 3 RCA jacks) and s-video. A button lets you toggle between them - this might be closer to what you want? I use a Sony SDM V72W that I really like which will do all this, might be worth investigating. Saw J&R advertising them for $550 with rebate recently. It's 1280x768 resolution so you can also display 720p HDTV. I also have a Samsung SyncMaster 151MP 14" LCD screen that runs at 1024x768. It has VGA and s-video inputs but no component. But it also has a TV tuner. It's OK as a computer monitor, but the s-video input really produces images that look horrible. I only use it on my computer these days. There are lots of other similar models now, take a look at Best Buy, CompUSA, etc. These are generally called "MultiMedia Monitors" I believe. Maybe that's the term you really had in mind?

Now when you say "color correcting live" does that really just mean plugging it into your camera to see the color? I think we're into semantics again here because "color correcting" implies something pretty specific to most people, and it involves adjusting colors in post in your NLE or another application.

I don't have an XL1s, but I think it will only output s-video and not component. So if the monitor only had component inputs (with BNC's as you say) you'd need an adaptor and wouldn't really enjoy the benefit of component anyway. Not so sure how well this would work as a computer monitor though; that might be complicated.

Now if it were what I'd call a "multi-scan" monitor then it would probably only have a VGA input. To hook your camera up to that you'd need something called a scan converter. You can get these at all the major computer mail order places or even comp usa. They come in the form of standalone boxes usually, but I have one at work that's clever and is actually built inline in the cable itself. AFAIK they all require some sort of power brick though. Frankly I don't think this would be all that great a way to go since you're going to lose quality in the process.

Hope this provides some food for thought at least!

Brad Horner November 18th, 2003 10:25 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Boyd Ostroff : Your post confused me since you mentioned multi-scan monitors but that's a term I've always seen in relation to computer monitors that work at different refresh frequencies. However it sounds like you were really talking about an NTSC monitor to connect to your camcorder. Or do you want one monitor that will do both?-->>>

Well I thought multiscan did mean NTSC. I almost sheeled out for a multiscan (used) to work as a NTSC. The reason why I thought multiscan was NTSC was because my roomate has a Sony Multiscan with seperate RBG BNC connectors, which in my mind meant I could: buy it from him, connect a bnc to s-video connector to the XL1s.

<<<--Now when you say "color correcting live" does that really just mean plugging it into your camera to see the color? I think we're into semantics again here because "color correcting" implies something pretty specific to most people, and it involves adjusting colors in post in your NLE or another application.-->>>

I want to color correct a scene in the studio "live". Point the camera at the set and check out the gamma, broadcast safe, levels, etc. I think there are Matrox cards that do that, but they have so many gimmicks and are expensive. I just want to get my colors tuned in to what I like by means of software, but without the full-blown 3-d, "title creating" whiz bang Matrox cards.

Here is a link that I just found. It is refering to the G5, but I have a PC. I think that what they have is what I am talking about.

http://www.digitalpostproduction.com/2003/09_sep/news/silicon0925.htm

Boyd Ostroff November 19th, 2003 06:47 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Brad Horner : Well I thought multiscan did mean NTSC

Ah, well maybe you are right then, haven't seen one of those. Actually I just realized the term I was thinking of was "multi-sync". If your roomate has one then why not try it with your camera and see if it works? But first you would need to buy an adaptor cable, like you said. Not real sure how much that costs.