XL1s onboard shotgun mic - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 1st, 2002, 06:27 PM   #16
Slash Rules!

above

(Sigh) Yes the mic was camera mounted, and therefore, I'm guessing there are some zoom servo noises on some of the shots. It was never a problem before, because I usually never zoomed on camera. . .only used it reframe something.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2002, 09:27 PM   #17
Regular Crew

WOW! if only our cameras could...
Bruce Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2002, 04:31 AM   #18
Regular Crew

wireless

IF her budget allows, you might suggest that she rent a couple of wireless mics and receivers and run them through a MA100 or MA200 (or a Beach Tek) into your XL. It makes a huge difference and is well worth any rental costs when you go into post. Either that or rent a boom set up. It's been my limited experience (am just starting out too) that the on-board OEM mic is great for indoor/controlled environments but in the field it can drive you nuts with unwanted ambient/background noise.
Ford Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2002, 06:22 AM   #19
Trustee

Hey,

Everyone has to start out somewhere, and even the FNG can sometimes give the ole' salty dog a tip or two. I think if you tell her what you've researched she will be thankful for the tip.

I'd also suggest going for an off camera boom mounted mic into the MA100/200 or a DAT/MD, for the reasons Scooterbob gave.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2002, 06:56 AM   #20

all this advice assumes she's a rational human being. unfortunately, sometimes power makes some people a little ...ummmm...errr...difficult.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2002, 07:49 AM   #21
Slash Rules!

above

Yeah she has a sennheiser shotgun mic (I'm not sure which one it is) and we used that the last time we shot, but it might be too little too late, as we only have two more days of shooting before the project's done.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog