Striping Down The Evf at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 1st, 2002, 10:23 AM   #1
Tourist

Striping Down The Evf

I am so glad that I have found this site, it seems to contain everything one could hope to know about our equipment. So can anyone help me out with this enquiry?

After weeks of use in the field my camera has obviously picked up some dust particles. I have striped off the EVF, removed the viewfinder and have cleaned the focusing lens in the eyepiece from the top and the bottom but there is still dust inside the unit. I can see small grub screws and a spring clip holding everything in place but have not yet taken the plunge and ripped it all out!

Is there a DIY procedure to strip the viewfinder lens assembly down further and clean it from the inside?
easyricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2002, 11:45 AM   #2
Tourist

Thanks for posing the question... I am in need of the same information about cleaning. I have also disassembled the viewfinder to the same stage, but there is still some dirt trapped where I can't get to it, and I'm also hesitant to go further without some guidelines. The manual is sorely lacking details needed for this proceedure.
Gary Almquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2002, 06:17 AM   #3
Wrangler

I've not seen an published cleaning procedure for the finder assembly. The lens in th EVF has two elements. From what you describe, the dirt may be trapped between the elements.

At you own risk: I've not tried this but you may be able to get to tem by removing the eyecup, lostening the two screws, removing the lens stopper that the screws were in, and then the lens holder with the two elements should come out. Not with tcare the direction or orientation of the lens holder and elements so it goes back together correctly.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2002, 10:30 AM   #4
Tourist

since no one replied with a way of carrying this procedure out I decided to get stuck in and give it a go

its easy when you know how, you only need a bright lamp, a soft white cloth to work on, a small watch makers screwdriver and cleaning agents

remove the two small screws from the outside of the focusing collar

seperate the end cap and slide it off

twist the focusing ring and the lens assembly pops out

using the end of a fine screwdriver lift off the 4 spring ends of the metal retaining ring

take out the protective plastic lens cover

prise back one side of the plastic tensioner and slip the screw driver point carefully under a side of the lens to raise it up past the clip. repeat for the other side

remember to make a note a which way round the lens and protective cover go back in

the second lens can be cleaned in situ

a metal ring is fitted to the ouside of the assembly. this can be removed to clean the outer housing by simply squeezing the two sides of the plastic centre tube together. it is flexible enough.

you can then line up the focus collar with the obvious runners
and lift it off

assembly is just doing everything in reverse order

with practice you'll be able to do this blind folded!!
easyricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2002, 12:05 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Wow, thanks -- I haven't tried this procedure myself but it looks straightforward. Appreciate it,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog