DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Playback in other machines (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/1831-playback-other-machines.html)

Guest May 1st, 2002 10:52 AM

Wife swapping

Okay, so I lied in the subject line to get some attention. I'm a bad boy, sorry.

But I have a question: I'd like to copy some tapes I shot on the XL-1s, editing out the useless stuff in the process. I have a friend who owns a Sony VX2000. Can I play the play the tapes in her Sony and copy them to the Canon (using the Canon DV 150 cable)? I've heard using the Sony with the Canon is like hitching a horse to a coyote.

Thang ya. Thang ya vury much.

Adrian Douglas May 1st, 2002 11:16 AM

Charles,

The Sony/Canon problems seem to be when playing a tape recorded on one and then played back on the other. It's something to to with the alignment of the tape transports.

You shouldn't have any problems copying the tapes across the DV link, but you might not be able to play the tapes in your XL1.

It's not an across the board problem so do some tests with the tapes you want to copy.

Dan C. May 1st, 2002 01:27 PM

Just an off-topic note to say (and I'm sure Chris and the other board members will agree) that there is really no need for an attention grabbing subject line, someone will always be on hand to help you out (looking through the forum you will see that there are virtually no topics with 0 replies).

One reason for using an accurate header is that it helps when people in future are having the same problem as you. Having an accurate heading makes it much easier to see whether the topic applies to their problem. It also helps when using the search function.

Nevertheless, it was a very intriguing topic and a little bit different!

Thanks, and have a nice day.

Guest May 1st, 2002 02:12 PM

Ah, yes. I understand your concern. Tasteless and inappropriate behavior on the Net is what keeps me away from many sites, too.

Unfortunately, my 53 years on the planet have ingrained a tongue-in-cheek, dry sense of humor in me. I've tried to escape it, to no avail.

I assure you, Sir, I will no longer trouble your Community with my unintentional malfeasance nor make you feel as though you need to smack me on the hand.

G'day, mates. I wish you the best and thank you for the help you have given so generously during my short stay.

Charles

Adam Lawrence May 1st, 2002 05:41 PM

hey it got my attention!

i never had problems playing back tapes from other DV cameras on my XL1..

though i think these may have been other Canon and Panasonic cameras, not Sony's..

ja135321 May 2nd, 2002 01:36 AM

I've had this exact problem...somewhat

I've had a problem where stuff created by a sony deck wont play on my XL1s. I take the same tape and play it in a sony camera it works fine. I play a canon recorded tape in the sony and it works fine. I spoke with canon and they said its not to be used as a vcr for other cameras. You can find as many explicative words for that reply as you want. Since canon cant get their act straight I just bought another Sony DV Walkman. They are basically losing market share because of poor customer service. I know the next camera I buy will be a sony.