filters which one are essential? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 5th, 2002, 05:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

filters which one are essential?

Hi there guys,

This question came up, when I was thinking about capabilities of NLE system. Many effects can be achieved without the use of filters on lens. So I assume.

If I'm right, could you tell me which filters are essential to have? I would like to save some in order to get other things :-)

I know that circular polariser for my auto lenses is essential.

In perfect case I would love to have all essential filters for indoor/outdoor shooting, which can enhance the picture that way which is not attainable through the use of effects in NLE system/computer+software effects.

Thanks in advance

Kairat S.
Kairat Salikhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2002, 01:00 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

I got the same question more or less. I already own the
Canon filterset (giving me an extra ND filter, circular polarizer
and a UV filter). Now I have beein thinking about getting
the tiffen Film Look DV Kit & Special Effects DV Kit
(see http://www.zgc.com/html/tiffen_dv_filter_kits.html). Are
these things worth there price? Any comments, suggestions?

Thanks!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2002, 10:28 PM   #3
Regular Crew

canon filter set

What ever you do, don't buy the canon filter set. Its a waste. The UV isn't multicoated. The extra ND is never used because the one the lense comes with is just easier to flick the switch. And the case that they come in is designed so that you'll scratch them when taking them out or putting them in. I had to just buy Tiffen stuff. I wish I would have known that they weren't that good. Oh also, I had a weird glare with the canon UV whereas the Tiffen there was no weird glare for the same shot.
ja135321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2002, 03:54 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

I wish I had known before I bought. Well, the extra ND comes
in handy at very sunny days. It is nice to have two ND's then
(one in the lens and one on front of it). I didn't know the UV
was not multicated. Bullocks. At least I have already used the
ND and polarizer to great effects... oh well.

Anyone on those other tiffen sets I mentioned?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2002, 06:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Oh, well I oredered the same canon filter kit, damn... ZGC was out of tiffent filter kits.
Old May 24th, 2002, 12:28 AM   #6
Mr.Cisco

Hope I didn't pooch this

I just bought, seconds ago online, this (http://store.yahoo.com/ador/vdfk72.html)

the Tiffen Filter Kit "2" 72mm (Three filter Kit UV, FLD, ND6) set.

I was attracted to the the FLD filter that eliminates the green from flourescent.

Should I cancel this purchase? Meaning, I'm 90% sure these will work on the XL1s (which is being shipped to me right now).
Old May 24th, 2002, 12:49 AM   #7
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Well, I wouldn't say you "pooched" it, but this kit looks like it's aimed more at the 35mm still photographer than the videographer. The UV will probably become your always-on protective filter. The ND filter may come in handy for very bright conditions, but keep in mind that the XL1s' standard 16x II lens had a built-in ND filter. So the external filter may often be a bit superfluous. The FLD filter may also be just a bit superfluous since you will always want to set your white balance electronically (unlike 35mm still photography which doesn't permit such a maneuver).

If I had to make a starting-out filter set selection I would select:
- UV, and
- circular polarizing

Optional:
- Tiffen Black Pro-Mist 1/8 to provide a -slight- neutral softening your shots when appropriate. The Adorama store does not show this filter, but you can find it at B&H (bhphoto.com) and other video stores.

Hope this is helpful.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2002, 05:48 AM   #8
Wrangler

Note that for most shooting situations color balancing filters are not essential for video cameras beause the cameras allow white balance. IN fact automatic white balance will tend to negate color filter effects. The exception would be for some special effects or under very unusual lighting situations.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2002, 09:11 AM   #9
Mr.Cisco

Re: Hope I didn't pooch this

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : Well, I wouldn't say you "pooched" it, but this kit looks like it's aimed more at the 35mm still photographer than the videographer. The UV will probably become your always-on protective filter. The ND filter may come in handy for very bright conditions, but keep in mind that the XL1s' standard 16x II lens had a built-in ND filter. So the external filter may often be a bit superfluous. The FLD filter may also be just a bit superfluous since you will always want to set your white balance electronically (unlike 35mm still photography which doesn't permit such a maneuver).
-->>>

Ken thanks! I was able to cancel my order and order the UV and the circular polarizing.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog