tiffen "film look" Filter kit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 5th, 2002, 01:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

tiffen "film look" Filter kit

Hey all,

I am considering this kit by tiffen as my first filter purchase, any thoughts? (B & H has it special order for $200) Also, is 72mm the right size for the XL1s?
Jason Pechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2002, 02:06 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hi Boomer,

Your very first filter purchase should always be a UV filter. You gotta protect that lens! Just leave it on all the time.

I checked out the kit you mentioned on the B&H site. It looks good...but a polarizing filter is a necessity. So if it's a question of either/or...buy a polarizer and a couple different shades of Black Pro Mist instead of the kit.

Just my two yens worth.
Old May 5th, 2002, 08:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Today, for the first time I used a circular polarizing filter and a UV haze filter together on my XL1 (standard 16x lens). I was shooting flowers and flowering shrubs. But I also shot people, sky, grass, etc. I was very pleased with the results. More saturated color, absence of harsh reflections gave the video more of a film look. I had thought the polarizing filter would distort the overall look a bit. In other words, people viewing the video would know I had used a polarizer. In fact, the results I got looked very natural. Very unvideo. I'm looking forward to trying the combination with the 3x wide angle lens. One thing, the polarizer with the haze filter screwed on in front seemed to make it harder to focus pressing the A/F button on the 16x lens. It focused, but somewhat slower. Sometimes I just focused manually. Try this combination and tell me what you think of the results.
Old June 1st, 2002, 04:13 PM   #4
Wrangler

Re: tiffen "film look" Filter kit

<<<-- Originally posted by Boomer30 : Hey all,

I am considering this kit by tiffen as my first filter purchase, any thoughts? (B & H has it special order for $200) Also, is 72mm the right size for the XL1s? -->>>

Could you explain what the "film look" filter kit does or how it works?

And 72mm is the right size for the XL1, so I'm guessing it's the same as the XL1s. And I'd get a UV filter first, put it on and leave it there.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2002, 08:29 AM   #5

I think 'film look' filters merely add grain. Is that correct?

Why not just add grain in post?
Old June 3rd, 2002, 01:24 PM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Randall3,
You should mosey over to our "Film Look" forum for more information on that topic.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog