DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Should I sell my XL1s and buy a new camera? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/19259-should-i-sell-my-xl1s-buy-new-camera.html)

Afonso Campos January 4th, 2004 07:21 PM

Should I sell my XL1s and buy a new camera?

I have bought an XL1s but I am not taking any advantage whatsoever of the ability to change lenses. Is there any better camera that I could buy at the price that I would sell the XL1s for (It is brand spanking new)? I really love the picture quality on the XL1s - is there any other camera that will let me achieve better quality/functions, etc? If so which one? What do you suggest I do?

PS - I am planning to use the camera to shoot relatively high quality short films and perhaps even a feature to send to festivals.

Thanks,
Afonso

Frank Granovski January 4th, 2004 07:57 PM

It's a good cam; so is the PD170 and DVX100A in a similar price range. If you sell it, you will lose money.

Afonso Campos January 4th, 2004 08:03 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Granovski : It's a good cam; so is the PD170 and DVX100A in a similar price range. If you sell it, you will lose money. -->>>

So you think I should stick with it then? I do not want to lose money...

Frank Granovski January 4th, 2004 08:09 PM

I would just stick with it. There's always something better but I would say your cam is good enough to do what you want. In my opinion, XL1/XL1s footage is extremely pleasing.

Dylan Couper January 5th, 2004 12:28 AM

Any time you buy something new, and sell it used, you will lose money.
I'd keep it.

Rich Lee January 6th, 2004 02:12 AM

See if u can sell it to a friend for more than you paid for it.

Dude the cameras excellent and takes a beautifull picture. Have u tried messin around with a different lens? you can rent them over a weekend for pretty cheap.

kidding about the selling to a friend thing.

Afonso Campos January 6th, 2004 06:30 AM

<<<-- Dude the cameras excellent and takes a beautifull picture. Have u tried messin around with a different lens? you can rent them over a weekend for pretty cheap. -->>>

Yeah I should try to use some new lenses before doing something I might later regret. I guess I'll rent a min35 with some cool lenses for a weekend or so to check it out :)

David Ziegelheim January 7th, 2004 12:21 AM

You could also rent the P+S Technics device (and 35mm film lens) discussed elsewhere on this site. That would give you a 35mm DOF in your films.

Jean-Philippe Archibald January 7th, 2004 09:12 AM

David, this is exactly what Afonso have intended to do. Mini35 is the name of the P+S Technik device.

Rich Lee January 7th, 2004 10:33 PM

Afanso, dont forget about the non mini35 solutions...there are a bunch out there that can help you make awesome looking footage. the 3x lens and the manual lens would be good ones to check out. and there area a bunch of lens attachments for them as well too, like fisheyes and all that fun stuff.