DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Ice Rink shoot (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/19431-ice-rink-shoot.html)

April May January 7th, 2004 02:39 PM

Ice Rink shoot

I am planning on shooting a skating practice at an ice rink using the XL1s.

• Should I use any filters on the camera because of the whiteness of the ice? If so what kind?

• Is there a longer lens than the 16x mechanical servo zoom lens for the camera?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Ken Tanaka January 7th, 2004 04:12 PM

You might want to experiment with the Sand and Snow program mode. It places more of a center-weighting on the exposure. Depending on your height above the ice and the general brightness of the frame you might want to use your lens' neutral density filter.

No, there's no longer lens for XL1s than a 16x. I believe there are, however, teleconverters available to extend the zoom range. But remember that the longer the zoom the shakier the shoot.

Bob Safay January 7th, 2004 06:03 PM

I just got back from Colorado videoing skiers. I decided to video like I used to photograph. I went to Manual mode. did a light meter reading off the snow, did a reading of the people and then set the Canon XL-1s to the AVERAGE reading. Great stuff. Also, try adding the 1.6x tele extender to the 16x. It really makes a difference as it kicks it up to the equivallent of 1,008mm in the 35mm world. Bob

Chris Staab January 7th, 2004 09:10 PM

How exactly did you "meter"? Does the Xl1 have a TTL metering system built in??

Rob Lohman January 8th, 2004 07:34 AM

Longer lenses are possible with an Canon EF lens, but that will
probably get unwieldy. As for filters you might want to bring
an extra ND. If the camera is stationary a polarizer might help
as well.

Mike Murri January 15th, 2004 11:10 AM

Just set the camera on M (manual) and play with exposure via shutter speed and or iris (f stop), if you want a fast shutter speed adjust f stop until you see detail in the snow, but don't let it look grey....expose for white with detail. Also, there are lenses well beyond 16X. For example, I have a Nikon 600mm a 1.4x and 2x converter, with the Nikon to Canon adapter (made in the UK), I have 600mmX2xconverter=1200mm X 7.2 (format size from 35mm to ccd sensor size) = 8640mm (35mm equivalent) lense. This is roughly 172X (optical). Granted, this is an extreme example...but, you can create any power lense you want with 35mm prime lenses...or zooms, for that matter.

And for one last thought, try attaching your camera to a hockey stick, clear down on the blade, using the hockey stick as normal, letting it carry the weight of the camera. This works very well and is a very steady platform, you will be amazed at how well it just glides along the ice. And the point of view is outstanding. Hope you give this a try!

Mike