XL1 vs. XL1s quality at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 9th, 2002, 07:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL1 vs. XL1s quality

Hi all,

I have just completed a couple of test shoots regarding 16:9 vs. 4:3 and Field vs. Frame mode, using the EIA Resolution Chart (is that thing really from the 50's?), with my XL1 (not s).

I will also have some more pictures tomorrow, using the above as a base, and getting to 16:9 frame mode through software (i.e. compare Premiere/FilmFX/VirtualDub/DV Film). I think this should make an interesting set of pictures. I do predict however very little difference there as there's no movement in the images. I intend to _not_ do a colour or grain adjust in any of these as I'm interested in resolution only.

Unfortunately, I have no website to post it to, so Chris, could I send you the grabs for you to put a simple article up? I was thinking just a few lines outlining how I did the shoot etc., then the pictures as thumbnails links to full-res TIFFs.
This is of course, only if there isn't already such a comparison up somewhere else, but I found none...

Also, if anyone could repeat these steps (only the in-camera effects) with an XL1s, this would be really great because I heard so many times that it's lens and CCD's are better than the XL1 that I just want to see how much better. It only takes a few minutes and would probably be appreciated by others too.

PDF of the above chart is available for emailing.

Thanks v much

Kai.
Kai Leibrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2002, 07:38 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Yes Kai, I would be more than happy to put this on the Watchdog. Just e-mail your text and images to chris@dvinfo.net. I'm on a PC, so if you have a Mac, that might complicate things. Please send the PDF also... thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2002, 10:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Check and see if john beale might host along with some of his stuff. I've been a fan of his res charts for some time.

bealecorner dot com

wanna loan me the chart? I've got the S model and have wanted to do a test, too. Especially after dv mag showed the little charts but made no mention whatsoever as to actual numbers. I'm suspecting a very marginal actual improvement over your cam, but perhaps a subjective difference due to sharpening.
Old May 15th, 2002, 01:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi JoPhoto,

the chart will be included in the article as a PDF.

Kai.
Kai Leibrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2002, 10:16 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

I'll have it up on the Watchdog pretty quick. I was out of town until today, trying to get caught up with stuff and getting a Watchdog update put together. Stay tuned.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog