color matching xl1s with VX2000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 10th, 2002, 12:39 AM   #1
stonecold

color matching xl1s with VX2000

Has anyone had any experience trying to get the xl1s picture looking the same (or close) to the vx2000?
I have talked to several different people, some say it is impossible without doing it in post, some suggest white balancing on various colored cards etc.
Recently I was at a MAC convention and Canon had it's reps there... they seemed to suggest that it was possible by digging around in the menus. I'm currently away at college and so don't have the cameras to play with :(
Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
stonecold
Old May 10th, 2002, 06:06 AM   #2
Major Player

I haven't tried to match a VX2000, but I have been able to get fairly close to a TRV510 (Dony Digital8). Without a calibrated monitor, it requires a lot of trial and error, but it can be done.
Old May 10th, 2002, 06:41 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Howdy from Texas,

It is indeed possible; I don't know the exact custom pre-sets but have heard from people who are doing it.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2002, 10:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I know that on Auto Wt balance, they are somewhat different, but I'd still like to believe that using manual white balance on each one should get you pretty close.

The "look" on the other hand might get a bit trickier. I'd start off with a little negative sharpness on the vx, and/or +2 on the canon; +3 max. Probably +1 (two if broadcast) setup level on the canon, too.

Don't forget to write back if YOU find the right setup, Okay?
Old May 28th, 2002, 12:11 AM   #5
stonecold

Hey guys,
I still haven't had proper time to test everything out. I did manage to get the images much closer. (note: I am using an old comodore monitor)
When manually white balanced the vx2000 and xl1s still looked much different. I was able to get them to play together better by white balancing the vx2000 with 2 blue lighting gels in front of the lens.
Like I said, using the comodore monitor I can't be too sure, but it was a huge improvement. When I get time to tweak I'll make sure I repost. BTW, does anyone have any suggestions on calibrated monitors etc? Are these necessary? What is the price range? Are there particular monitors to look for or avoid? I haven't done any research on this, I'm sure there are threads that talk about it, but if anyone had any advice, I'd be grateful.
Thanks,
stonecold
Chris - great site!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog