New Canon 19X with Speed Shuttle at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 10th, 2002, 06:37 PM   #1
Go Cycle

New Canon 19X with Speed Shuttle

Just used the new 19X Canon and I liked it so much I purchased it from Al-Art Video as part of my arsenal. The Fujinon is now history.

OK-now for the first question you are going to ask:

"Is it better than the 20X Fujinon?"

The answer is "I can't tell a HUGE/BIG difference in quality-sure seems a little crisper."

ALSO:

The Canon is so much, much easier to handle as it is more comfortable-less fatigue.

WHY?

The handle is more foward and the weight is distributed better-less cramping of the arms. Evenly distributes the camera weight.

Is it wider than the Fujinon

NO-The Fujinon is 6.4 The Canon is 6.7

I found the two steps backwards with the Canon tends to give me the same width as the Fujinon. Really tough to tell that it is a 6.7-real tough.

BTW: The lens is a little shorter than the Fujinon.

The 1X difference?

Same thing-Can't tell the difference as the 1x is so miniscule.

Speed Shuttle

AWESOME-frame the picture and focus. Set the focal length knob to the desired FL. Then, just hit the shuttle button and WHAM!!!! Great for special effects as well-super zooming.

Conclusion
Easier on my back. Easier on my shoulder. Easier on my Arm. Not so easy on the pocketbook but worth every penny. Great MACRO-can be set at ANY distance unlike prior 14X Canon lenses. Very CRISP.

LOU BRUNO copyright 2002
Lou Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2002, 08:18 PM   #2
Regular Crew

HI

Doe you know the retail and discount prices?

thanks
Old May 10th, 2002, 08:49 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Note for you guys, this Canon lens that Lou wrote about is for his JVC GY-DV500 pro shoulder mount camera, not the XL1. I'm stating the obvious here maybe but didn't want anybody getting the wrong idea.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2002, 09:09 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Copyrighting your message board posts? C'mon.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2002, 09:16 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

I can understand it, Ken, because in Lou's case, he's had his posts "ripped off" before, that is, his exact words used by others pretending to be original. That's happened to him on usenet and a few other message boards. I've got his okay to run his post as an article on the site, copyright info intact of course.

On 2-pop they go so far as to say that all posts on their boards belong to *them* -- meaning they hold copyright on the material and not the poster who wrote it.

I ain't gonna play that game.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2002, 05:28 AM   #6
Go Cycle

<<<-- Originally posted by bruce moore : HI

Doe you know the retail and discount prices?

thanks -->>>

It is 2495-2595 dollars. I got mine at www.alartvideo.com
Old May 11th, 2002, 05:33 AM   #7
Wrangler

At one time didn't Compuserve claim full rights to all posts and uploads there?
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2002, 05:41 AM   #8
Go Cycle

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : Copyrighting your message board posts? C'mon. -->>>

Ken, at first blush the "copyright 2002" would appear somewhat pompous to a reader not knowing the reason for the copyright tag. This, I fully understand.

You may or may not know, I write extensive reviews about products.

I have written for WEVA and various organizations and so called E-Mail newsletters.

I am currently working on an article about the new Switronix Battery line.

I DO NOT GET COMPENSATED FOR MY REVIEWS.
My reviews are for informational purposes to my fellow videographers. I love video and have been involved in video for 22 years.

With that said. I spend an enourmous amount of time sifting through and writing reviews-all for FREE. Well, it IRKS me to no-end when an individual cuts and pastes MY WORK, gets paid for it or takes CREDIT for an article by placing their name on my work. I have seen my VIDEO TIPS in magazines, booklets and all over the USENET and different discussion groups. Sought of like someone taking your demo tape and slapping their company name on the DEMO and receiving credit and compensation.

In closing, by placing COPYRIGHT on MY REVIEWS, certain author's are put on notice that I WILL be compensated for their stealing of my video reviews from them. AND I WILL!!!!

Lou Bruno
Old May 11th, 2002, 05:47 AM   #9
Go Cycle

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Note for you guys, this Canon lens that Lou wrote about is for his JVC GY-DV500 pro shoulder mount camera, not the XL1. I'm stating the obvious here maybe but didn't want anybody getting the wrong idea. -->>>

Actually the lens is for any 1/2 inch camera. Of course if it is a SONY, order a lens with a SONY mounting plate-no extra charge from your retailer.
Old May 11th, 2002, 09:32 AM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks for the clarifications, Lou. I would definitely get rubbed the wrong way if someone out there plagirized my words. Some of the articles on my sites appear in other venues, but I always get permission in advance to re-post and try to link back to the original when possible.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog