DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   14x manual lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/19823-14x-manual-lens.html)

Josh Bass June 30th, 2003 06:59 PM

Keep in mind with the 14x you can't put stuff that screws on, onto the front, because of the rotating front lens element. No screw on filters, wide angle adapters or converters that are attached bayonet style (is that the right term?) or any of that. I THOUGHT I also might have read (though I might have misread) that you can't use a matte box with this lens for some reason?

That'd be a dealbreaker for me.

The only thing people don't like about the 16x versus the 14x is that the 16x doesn't have the iris on the lens itself, while the 14x does. This is a more professional setup.

Dylan Couper June 30th, 2003 11:34 PM

To clarify: The 14x works fine with many filters, even though the front rotates. Where you run into a problem is grad filters and polarizers, which change the picture when you turn them.

It works fine with my matte box (Cavision) which eliminates all the filter issues by holding them in a fixed position.

I'd rather have the 16x lens, as the on camera zoom rockers will control the zoom on it whereas the 14x can only be controlled on the lens barrel itself. However, the 16x is something like $500 more. I can live (and do) with the 14x for that price.

Ken Tanaka June 30th, 2003 11:36 PM

Welcome Christopher,
I'd say you've got the question-posting-thing mastered!

If you've not already done so, you might be interested in reading through my article on the 16x Manual Servo lens. I include some additional information on the 14x lens in the article.

To my knowledge, the 14x lens is no longer in production. So you will either have to buy one used (I'm selling one if you're interested, btw) or find one still stocked at a retailer.

As Josh pointed out, the front element of the 14x rotates (unlike the 16x). In practical terms that means (a) a matte box would need to be mounted on rods rather than to the lens, and (b) using a polarizing filter could become a challenge. These may or may not be issues for you.

Everything is manual with the 14x. Zoom, focus and iris are all controlled strictly with barrel rings. Interestingly, the iris ring freely rotates within its range with no set f-stop clicks. The 16x's iris control, being on the camera's body, is a bit of a design oddity. Since its operation is strictly limited to assigned stops you cannot finely-tune the iris -quite- as well as with the 14x. This is not a major issue, just a design difference.

Many experienced camera operators prefer the all-manual nature of the 14x and the lens is still in some demand. In terms of imaging the 14x and 16x are nearly equivalent for all practical purposes.

I really don't think either lens is strictly the best for all purposes. The 16x, with its servo zoom option, is more versatile in my opinion. But for staged dramatic or documentary work the 14x would certainly give you excellent control of your imaging at a lower price.

Josh Bass July 1st, 2003 12:51 AM

My bad on screw on filters and bayonet mounted Wide angles.

Bob Safay January 14th, 2004 03:40 PM

14x manual lens

I need a little from my friends. I bought a used 14x. It is in excellant contition, there were no instructions with it. My question is this. Can some one out there in video land FAX me a copy of the instructions on how to set the back focus? You can email me at RSafay@aol.com and I will send my FAX number. Thank you. Bob

Jeff Donald January 14th, 2004 04:24 PM

Bob, download the manual for the 16X Canon lens here. The instructions for adjusting back focus are the same.

Bob Safay January 14th, 2004 08:47 PM

Hey Jeff Thanks, I got it. As I recall I got this from you. I am getting more serious with it now that I have more time to play. Thanks again. My prblrm was that I did not know how far to set up the chart. Oh, I love your wildlife shots. Bob

Jim Giberti January 27th, 2004 08:33 PM

Thoughts on the 14x Lens in Some Challenging Shoots

I've got a couple of challenging projects coming up...one for Lake Placid tying in the feel of the new film "Miracle". Another at the New Englad Aquarium for an animated show we're producing and another at the Smisthonian.

The bottom line is each of these shoots don't allow for the Mini35 in some situations, for different reasons...ski along action on mountain as well as some of the Olympic courses, The NE Aquarium ahoot needs to be low profile and natural light by definition (real interesting underwater) which rules out the Mini35 and the Smisthonian has similar issues.

So, I'm going to pick up the original 14x manual lens for the XL1s (I can't stand the idea of using the auto, servo lens). For the animated project, I'll be able to work in all straight XL1 frame, but on the other two, I'll be shooting key talent and close-ups in Mini35 and perhaps mixing action/B-roll from the manual 14x.

I'd appreciate the glass gurus opinions on the 14x Manual. After working with the P&S combo, it's going to be strange (and fun) to just have the XL1s and a simple lens...small and light...and a zoom!.

Matt Burnell August 9th, 2004 07:14 AM

14x Manual Lens Zoom Control

Does anyone know of any after market zoom controls for the discontinued 14x manual lens?

I love this lens but could use an auto zoom control.

Thanks.

Chris Hurd August 9th, 2004 08:18 AM

You have two choices for remote focus control:

http://www.varizoom.com/controllers/efc.php -- motorized

http://www.varizoom.com/controllers/fcc.php -- manual

Remote zoom control options for this lens are highly limited. Contact VariZoom directly, speak to Tom Smith, tell him I sent ya. Perhaps he can help. Good luck,

Matt Burnell August 9th, 2004 08:27 AM

Thanks

Chris-

Thanks for the info. I will definately call Verizoom.

-Matt

David Lach October 17th, 2004 12:09 PM

Century Optics .6x adapter with 14x lens?

I recently bought the Century Precision Optics VS-06WA-MXL 0.6x Wide Angle Adapter Lens from B&H for the 16x manual lens thinking I was going to buy the 16x manual lens for my new XL2.

Thing is, I recently got a killer deal for a 14x manual lens that I could not refuse (got it for $500 from a friend of a friend).

So now I don't have the proper WA adapter for the lens. But will it work anyway? The adapter was backorder at B&H so I don't think it has even shipped yet, so I think I could always change it for the clamp-on adapter (VS-06WA-75) if need be, but I'd rather stick with this one if it's possible for a couple reasons.

1) I'm planing to buy the 16x IS II lens as well which will work with the adapter I bought but not with the clamp-on version.

2) It's cheaper. The clamp-on adapter is $50 more.

I thought in theory there should be a way to make this adapter work with the 14x since it is designed for 72mm threading, but I'm not sure if there's something else to take into consideration.

Anybody out there has more info on this? Anybody succesfully used the screw-on VS-06WA-MXL adapter with the 14x?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Henry Cho June 10th, 2005 04:30 PM

14x manual lens user guide

hi there...

since canon's site re-architecture, i'm having a hard time finding the 14x manual lens user guide/pamphlet. would someone be so kind as to post a link? better yet, if someone has the pdf, would you mind emailing it to mizer357@yahoo.com?

thank you so much

Richard Alvarez June 10th, 2005 06:52 PM

The 14x is manufactured by Fuji, no? Maybe their website?

Henry Cho June 10th, 2005 11:28 PM

hi richard... thanks for replying.

i was referring to the canon 14x xl mount manual lens, the predecessor to the current 16x -- not the fujinon/optex one. the 16x manual lens documentation would probably be ok as well. i'm just looking to learn how to calibrate back focus.

Lorinda Norton June 11th, 2005 12:22 AM

I don't have either of what you requested, but I'm looking at the instructions that came with my Canon 14X. (Thanks, Dylan C.) Also, I believe there's a thread somewhere on here with the information.

BUT, if you don't find the official stuff and want to take my word for it :) here's what the instruction sheet has to say:

9. Flange back adjustment of the lens:

1) Mount the camcorder on a tripod. Select an object 2-3 m away from the lens, or an object about the same distance away from the lens as your subject. (Use a subject with high contrast so it will be easy [to] tell when focus is achieved.
2) Turn the iris ring and fully open the aperture.
3) Turn the zooming ring and zoom all the way into telephoto.
4) Turn the focusing ring and focus on the object.
5) Zoom all the way out to wide angle.
6) Fully release the flange back fixing screw on the lens.
7) Turn the flange back ring until you obtain correct focus.
(The approximate position is where the [shaded upright rectangle] mark on the flange back ring is aligned with "F.B".)
8) Repeat steps 3) to7) until you obtain the correct focus on both ends.
9) Tighten the flange back fixing screw with the ring set in proper position.

Henry Cho June 11th, 2005 01:04 AM

hi lorinda...

thank you for taking the time to put that together. it is sincerely appreciated.

Henry Cho January 7th, 2006 12:47 PM

xl1s w/ 14x manual lens: white balance issues

i'm currently on a shoot, and we're using my xl1s as a second camera. i'm using a borrowed 14x manual lens on the xl1s. i'm running into some strange white balance issues on the camera with this particular lens. with setup shooting, i typically set my white balance manually, but this project calls for a lot of running in and out of buildings, so i want to keep the white balance on auto. the problem is, when the camera is set to auto, it leans too heavily toward daylight color temperature, and all the shots indoors are overly warm. i tried manually white balancing indoors and everything looks ok, but the second i kick it back into auto, everything eplodes into reds and oranges. i fitted the camera with both the 3x and 16x auto lenses, and they work fine. i've also owned the 14x and 16x manual lenses in the past and never saw this kind of behavior from my camera.

so my question is, from a troubleshooting perspective, how is the camera determining the color temperature for white balance in the auto setting? is there a sensor in the camera detecting the temperature of light coming through the lens? at this point, i would say it isn't my camera that's causing this problem. i'm probably going to switch over to the 16x auto lens for this shoot, but if anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

Dan Keaton January 7th, 2006 01:30 PM

I have an Xl1s with the 16x auto, the 3x, and and xl2 20x lens.

I have also used the 14x lens.

The white balance definitely comes "Through the Lens". The camera's CCD image is used for the white balance input signal.

I have not experienced this problem with the 14x lens, but I never specifically checked for unusual white balance.

Henry Cho January 7th, 2006 03:31 PM

thanks dan. it really is very odd. the lens will manual white balance correctly, but, for some reason, will confuse the auto white balance sensor, wherever thay may be...

i've owned the 14x before, and this never happened with mine. i can get my hands on the 16x manual lens if i really need it, but the whole point of using the 14x this go-around was to ride the fully-manual iris.

maybe the lens needs a trip to canon service?

thanks again.

Mark Bournes February 24th, 2006 02:24 PM

14x manual lens vs. 16x manual lens?

I'm in the market for a 14x manual lens or a 16x manual lens for my xl1. Which is better? I know the 14 has the iris control on the lens and the 16 has a servo zoom. I shoot a lot of VNR"s, commercials, and sit down interviews. The zoom feature of the 16x would be nice but I can also zoom with the 14 x manually. "Yes I've been shooting a long time." I don't always need a zoom as most of the things I shoot are "static" shots. I do however shoot hotels from time to time and the nice slow zoom does come in handy on these shoots. Can I still do this with the 14x fairly smoothly, or should I just go with the 16x?

Thanks for the help.

Mark Bournes
Shark Video Productions

Henry Cho February 24th, 2006 05:35 PM

the really appealing thing about the 14x is the price right now. i've seen second-hand units go for $600, considerably cheaper than a second hand 16x. both lenses are superb, but i'd give the nod to the 16x for it's two built-in NDs, servo zoom and non-telescoping focus ring. the 14x's stepless iris control is really nice, but you could shoot with the 16x and shutter priority mode to get "automatic" stepless aperture changes. not as nice, i know, but the trade-off is worth it, IMHO. also, steady, slow zooms will be next to impossible with the 14x. regardless, i'm a big fan of both lenses, and once you swap out the stock lens for either one of the manual lenses, the stock lens may never see daylight again.

Jimmy McKenzie February 24th, 2006 09:43 PM

The 14x is a nice crisp lens. To zoom with this by using your hand is at your own peril. It does have the needed check marks for an accessory controller, if one exists.

Excellent tool for rack focusing. Blast zooms are neato if you are doing a cooking show for 20 somethings.

Chris Hurd February 24th, 2006 09:49 PM

The 14x will be much harder to find, and is available only in used condition, because it was discontinued years ago. The 16x is still current and can be bought brand new.

Mark Bournes February 25th, 2006 02:28 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm going to go with the 16x.

Mark

Tony Davies-Patrick February 26th, 2006 05:42 AM

I also prefer the Canon MF 16X Servo lens, and really like the added servo zoom and built-in ND filters (although I also use a polarizer filter during lot of shoots).

Another very good option is the Fujinon 14X lens.

For information on lens options, go here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles/article58.php

For some graphics charts tests using the EF and MF lenses, go here:

http://www.pixelmonger.com/graphicref194

Dean Orewiler March 17th, 2006 02:25 PM

16x all the way babeeeee !!

I love this lens...just purchased one at a good price with the trade-in of my 16x IS....I don't need the IS because I usually use a tripod - but I love the quality of this lens - very sharp, great rack focus capabilities - and the focus is silky smooth. Plus, you can still use the motorized zoom for creeps....

Lorinda Norton March 17th, 2006 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Orewiler
you can still use the motorized zoom for creeps....

I use my Mustang GT for that. ;) For everything else, there's my 14x. Love it.

Mike Teutsch March 17th, 2006 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
I use my Mustang GT for that. ;) For everything else, there's my 14x. Love it.

Lorinda is the sweetest, but if you saw her with the Mustang, you would want to stay out of the way!!!!!! :)

I have both the 16x and the 14x manuals, and they both have their places. The big difference is that the 14x has full manual capability, but the 16x has power zoom.

Mike

Lorinda Norton March 17th, 2006 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
if you saw her with the Mustang, you would want to stay out of the way!!!!!! :)

...only if you're a creep. ;)

Trenton Scott August 31st, 2006 01:46 PM

Canon 14x Manual Lens Owner's Guide PDF

I recently purchased an old 14x manual zoom/focus lens for my XL2, but the lens came without an owner's manual. I've tried to locate the PDF at Canon's support website, but the links aren't there any more. I tried calling Canon support, but I get the run-around without resolution. Can anybody tell me how I can obtain the documentation?

Dan Keaton August 31st, 2006 03:31 PM

I will look to see if I can find the manual for the 14x lens.

Lorinda Norton September 1st, 2006 12:18 AM

There's a manual for the lens? I was given a 20" square instruction sheet. If that's all you're talking about and you don't find one, I could try to scan it for you (or mail a copy). :)

Dan Keaton September 1st, 2006 06:52 AM

Lorinda is correct.

The "Manual" for the 14x lens is a poster size sheet of thin paper. It covers many languages.

A friend of mine has a 14x lens. I have arranged with him to bring me the "Manual". I should have it in a few hours.

Then, I will scan, or type in, the English instructions. I will also scan other languages as well, if requested.

Please bear in mind that the only meaningful instructions is the procedure to set "Back Focus".

This is a simple procedure:

1. Set the camera with the 14x lens attached on a tripod.
2. Zoom in and focus (precisely) on a distant object (chose an object with substantial contrast).
3. Zoom out and check the focus.
4. Loosen the "Back Focus" retaining screw.
5. Adjust the "Back Focus" until the image is in perfect focus.
6. Tighten the "Back Focus" retaining screw.

The above is from memory, I do not have the instruction sheet in front of me at this time.

The goal of "Back Focus" is to ensure that the entire zoom range of the lens is in focus.

Trenton Scott September 1st, 2006 09:19 AM

Thank You!

Thanks for clarifying. The previous owner of the lens said he didn’t have the owner’s manual, referring me to Canon’s support website for “a link to the PDF.”

For a few reasons, I am very interested in having the original back-focus procedure. I’m extremely grateful that you are willing to scan that portion of the instruction sheet. In the same spirit, I promise to quickly create a web page that documents the 14x and includes your scanned image. There should be *some* source for this information on the web! If you want to be acknowledged as the image source, I would be happy to include your reference information on the web page, but only with your permission, of course…

Thank you!

Dan Keaton September 1st, 2006 12:12 PM

Dear Moderator,

May I have permission to post scanned images of the Canon 14x zoom lens manual?

It is my understanding that the manual is not available on-line from Canon.

Lankester Merrin September 3rd, 2006 04:39 PM

Hi,

I don't know if you got the manual yet. But for anyone interested in the future, Lorinda is correct it is a small sheet and in many languages. It is however available online from canon:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...6&modelid=7471

Then just click on top where it says Product/ Software Manuals. All of the manuals are available there, it will pop up a new window with all the PDF's.

Trenton Scott September 3rd, 2006 07:00 PM

I've been to that page on Canon's website; it has PDFs for the 16x and 3x zoom lenses, but *not* the 14x manual zoom lens. I have not been able to find any 14x documentation on Canon's website, as if the product never existed! When I called Canon, they acknowledged removing support, promised to follow-up with somebody "to order a manual", but they never contacted me...

Thanks to Dan, I now have scans of the original. I'm going to post this stuff on my website so others in my situation won't have to go through the same ordeal...

Dan Keaton September 3rd, 2006 08:13 PM

Dear Trenton,

I hope you have everything you need.

Dan

Trenton Scott September 4th, 2006 04:25 PM

Instructions Available Now-- Thanks!

Dan, thanks again! Using your scans, I created PDF and Microsoft Word versions of the instructions. I posted everything on my website for future reference:

http://www.trentonscott.com/canon14x.shtml

Thanks again!