14x manual lens - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 14th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #46
Warden

Bob, download the manual for the 16X Canon lens here. The instructions for adjusting back focus are the same.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 08:47 PM   #47
Trustee

Hey Jeff Thanks, I got it. As I recall I got this from you. I am getting more serious with it now that I have more time to play. Thanks again. My prblrm was that I did not know how far to set up the chart. Oh, I love your wildlife shots. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2004, 08:33 PM   #48
Major Player

Thoughts on the 14x Lens in Some Challenging Shoots

I've got a couple of challenging projects coming up...one for Lake Placid tying in the feel of the new film "Miracle". Another at the New Englad Aquarium for an animated show we're producing and another at the Smisthonian.

The bottom line is each of these shoots don't allow for the Mini35 in some situations, for different reasons...ski along action on mountain as well as some of the Olympic courses, The NE Aquarium ahoot needs to be low profile and natural light by definition (real interesting underwater) which rules out the Mini35 and the Smisthonian has similar issues.

So, I'm going to pick up the original 14x manual lens for the XL1s (I can't stand the idea of using the auto, servo lens). For the animated project, I'll be able to work in all straight XL1 frame, but on the other two, I'll be shooting key talent and close-ups in Mini35 and perhaps mixing action/B-roll from the manual 14x.

I'd appreciate the glass gurus opinions on the 14x Manual. After working with the P&S combo, it's going to be strange (and fun) to just have the XL1s and a simple lens...small and light...and a zoom!.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2004, 07:14 AM   #49
New Boot

14x Manual Lens Zoom Control

Does anyone know of any after market zoom controls for the discontinued 14x manual lens?

I love this lens but could use an auto zoom control.

Thanks.
Matt Burnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2004, 08:18 AM   #50
Obstreperous Rex

You have two choices for remote focus control:

http://www.varizoom.com/controllers/efc.php -- motorized

http://www.varizoom.com/controllers/fcc.php -- manual

Remote zoom control options for this lens are highly limited. Contact VariZoom directly, speak to Tom Smith, tell him I sent ya. Perhaps he can help. Good luck,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2004, 08:27 AM   #51
New Boot

Thanks

Chris-

Thanks for the info. I will definately call Verizoom.

-Matt
Matt Burnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2004, 12:09 PM   #52
Major Player

Century Optics .6x adapter with 14x lens?

I recently bought the Century Precision Optics VS-06WA-MXL 0.6x Wide Angle Adapter Lens from B&H for the 16x manual lens thinking I was going to buy the 16x manual lens for my new XL2.

Thing is, I recently got a killer deal for a 14x manual lens that I could not refuse (got it for $500 from a friend of a friend).

So now I don't have the proper WA adapter for the lens. But will it work anyway? The adapter was backorder at B&H so I don't think it has even shipped yet, so I think I could always change it for the clamp-on adapter (VS-06WA-75) if need be, but I'd rather stick with this one if it's possible for a couple reasons.

1) I'm planing to buy the 16x IS II lens as well which will work with the adapter I bought but not with the clamp-on version.

2) It's cheaper. The clamp-on adapter is $50 more.

I thought in theory there should be a way to make this adapter work with the 14x since it is designed for 72mm threading, but I'm not sure if there's something else to take into consideration.

Anybody out there has more info on this? Anybody succesfully used the screw-on VS-06WA-MXL adapter with the 14x?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

David
David Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 04:30 PM   #53
Major Player

14x manual lens user guide

hi there...

since canon's site re-architecture, i'm having a hard time finding the 14x manual lens user guide/pamphlet. would someone be so kind as to post a link? better yet, if someone has the pdf, would you mind emailing it to mizer357@yahoo.com?

thank you so much
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 06:52 PM   #54
Inner Circle

The 14x is manufactured by Fuji, no? Maybe their website?
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 11:28 PM   #55
Major Player

hi richard... thanks for replying.

i was referring to the canon 14x xl mount manual lens, the predecessor to the current 16x -- not the fujinon/optex one. the 16x manual lens documentation would probably be ok as well. i'm just looking to learn how to calibrate back focus.
Old June 11th, 2005, 12:22 AM   #56
Wrangler

I don't have either of what you requested, but I'm looking at the instructions that came with my Canon 14X. (Thanks, Dylan C.) Also, I believe there's a thread somewhere on here with the information.

BUT, if you don't find the official stuff and want to take my word for it :) here's what the instruction sheet has to say:

9. Flange back adjustment of the lens:

1) Mount the camcorder on a tripod. Select an object 2-3 m away from the lens, or an object about the same distance away from the lens as your subject. (Use a subject with high contrast so it will be easy [to] tell when focus is achieved.
2) Turn the iris ring and fully open the aperture.
3) Turn the zooming ring and zoom all the way into telephoto.
4) Turn the focusing ring and focus on the object.
5) Zoom all the way out to wide angle.
6) Fully release the flange back fixing screw on the lens.
7) Turn the flange back ring until you obtain correct focus.
(The approximate position is where the [shaded upright rectangle] mark on the flange back ring is aligned with "F.B".)
8) Repeat steps 3) to7) until you obtain the correct focus on both ends.
9) Tighten the flange back fixing screw with the ring set in proper position.
Old June 11th, 2005, 01:04 AM   #57
Major Player

hi lorinda...

thank you for taking the time to put that together. it is sincerely appreciated.
Old January 7th, 2006, 12:47 PM   #58
Major Player

xl1s w/ 14x manual lens: white balance issues

i'm currently on a shoot, and we're using my xl1s as a second camera. i'm using a borrowed 14x manual lens on the xl1s. i'm running into some strange white balance issues on the camera with this particular lens. with setup shooting, i typically set my white balance manually, but this project calls for a lot of running in and out of buildings, so i want to keep the white balance on auto. the problem is, when the camera is set to auto, it leans too heavily toward daylight color temperature, and all the shots indoors are overly warm. i tried manually white balancing indoors and everything looks ok, but the second i kick it back into auto, everything eplodes into reds and oranges. i fitted the camera with both the 3x and 16x auto lenses, and they work fine. i've also owned the 14x and 16x manual lenses in the past and never saw this kind of behavior from my camera.

so my question is, from a troubleshooting perspective, how is the camera determining the color temperature for white balance in the auto setting? is there a sensor in the camera detecting the temperature of light coming through the lens? at this point, i would say it isn't my camera that's causing this problem. i'm probably going to switch over to the 16x auto lens for this shoot, but if anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 7th, 2006, 01:30 PM   #59
Inner Circle

I have an Xl1s with the 16x auto, the 3x, and and xl2 20x lens.

I have also used the 14x lens.

The white balance definitely comes "Through the Lens". The camera's CCD image is used for the white balance input signal.

I have not experienced this problem with the 14x lens, but I never specifically checked for unusual white balance.
Old January 7th, 2006, 03:31 PM   #60
Major Player

thanks dan. it really is very odd. the lens will manual white balance correctly, but, for some reason, will confuse the auto white balance sensor, wherever thay may be...

i've owned the 14x before, and this never happened with mine. i can get my hands on the 16x manual lens if i really need it, but the whole point of using the 14x this go-around was to ride the fully-manual iris.

maybe the lens needs a trip to canon service?

thanks again.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog