DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   14x manual lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/19823-14x-manual-lens.html)

Mark Bournes February 24th, 2006 02:24 PM

14x manual lens vs. 16x manual lens?

I'm in the market for a 14x manual lens or a 16x manual lens for my xl1. Which is better? I know the 14 has the iris control on the lens and the 16 has a servo zoom. I shoot a lot of VNR"s, commercials, and sit down interviews. The zoom feature of the 16x would be nice but I can also zoom with the 14 x manually. "Yes I've been shooting a long time." I don't always need a zoom as most of the things I shoot are "static" shots. I do however shoot hotels from time to time and the nice slow zoom does come in handy on these shoots. Can I still do this with the 14x fairly smoothly, or should I just go with the 16x?

Thanks for the help.

Mark Bournes
Shark Video Productions

Henry Cho February 24th, 2006 05:35 PM

the really appealing thing about the 14x is the price right now. i've seen second-hand units go for $600, considerably cheaper than a second hand 16x. both lenses are superb, but i'd give the nod to the 16x for it's two built-in NDs, servo zoom and non-telescoping focus ring. the 14x's stepless iris control is really nice, but you could shoot with the 16x and shutter priority mode to get "automatic" stepless aperture changes. not as nice, i know, but the trade-off is worth it, IMHO. also, steady, slow zooms will be next to impossible with the 14x. regardless, i'm a big fan of both lenses, and once you swap out the stock lens for either one of the manual lenses, the stock lens may never see daylight again.

Jimmy McKenzie February 24th, 2006 09:43 PM

The 14x is a nice crisp lens. To zoom with this by using your hand is at your own peril. It does have the needed check marks for an accessory controller, if one exists.

Excellent tool for rack focusing. Blast zooms are neato if you are doing a cooking show for 20 somethings.

Chris Hurd February 24th, 2006 09:49 PM

The 14x will be much harder to find, and is available only in used condition, because it was discontinued years ago. The 16x is still current and can be bought brand new.

Mark Bournes February 25th, 2006 02:28 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm going to go with the 16x.

Mark

Tony Davies-Patrick February 26th, 2006 05:42 AM

I also prefer the Canon MF 16X Servo lens, and really like the added servo zoom and built-in ND filters (although I also use a polarizer filter during lot of shoots).

Another very good option is the Fujinon 14X lens.

For information on lens options, go here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles/article58.php

For some graphics charts tests using the EF and MF lenses, go here:

http://www.pixelmonger.com/graphicref194

Dean Orewiler March 17th, 2006 02:25 PM

16x all the way babeeeee !!

I love this lens...just purchased one at a good price with the trade-in of my 16x IS....I don't need the IS because I usually use a tripod - but I love the quality of this lens - very sharp, great rack focus capabilities - and the focus is silky smooth. Plus, you can still use the motorized zoom for creeps....

Lorinda Norton March 17th, 2006 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Orewiler
you can still use the motorized zoom for creeps....

I use my Mustang GT for that. ;) For everything else, there's my 14x. Love it.

Mike Teutsch March 17th, 2006 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
I use my Mustang GT for that. ;) For everything else, there's my 14x. Love it.

Lorinda is the sweetest, but if you saw her with the Mustang, you would want to stay out of the way!!!!!! :)

I have both the 16x and the 14x manuals, and they both have their places. The big difference is that the 14x has full manual capability, but the 16x has power zoom.

Mike

Lorinda Norton March 17th, 2006 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
if you saw her with the Mustang, you would want to stay out of the way!!!!!! :)

...only if you're a creep. ;)

Trenton Scott August 31st, 2006 01:46 PM

Canon 14x Manual Lens Owner's Guide PDF

I recently purchased an old 14x manual zoom/focus lens for my XL2, but the lens came without an owner's manual. I've tried to locate the PDF at Canon's support website, but the links aren't there any more. I tried calling Canon support, but I get the run-around without resolution. Can anybody tell me how I can obtain the documentation?

Dan Keaton August 31st, 2006 03:31 PM

I will look to see if I can find the manual for the 14x lens.

Lorinda Norton September 1st, 2006 12:18 AM

There's a manual for the lens? I was given a 20" square instruction sheet. If that's all you're talking about and you don't find one, I could try to scan it for you (or mail a copy). :)

Dan Keaton September 1st, 2006 06:52 AM

Lorinda is correct.

The "Manual" for the 14x lens is a poster size sheet of thin paper. It covers many languages.

A friend of mine has a 14x lens. I have arranged with him to bring me the "Manual". I should have it in a few hours.

Then, I will scan, or type in, the English instructions. I will also scan other languages as well, if requested.

Please bear in mind that the only meaningful instructions is the procedure to set "Back Focus".

This is a simple procedure:

1. Set the camera with the 14x lens attached on a tripod.
2. Zoom in and focus (precisely) on a distant object (chose an object with substantial contrast).
3. Zoom out and check the focus.
4. Loosen the "Back Focus" retaining screw.
5. Adjust the "Back Focus" until the image is in perfect focus.
6. Tighten the "Back Focus" retaining screw.

The above is from memory, I do not have the instruction sheet in front of me at this time.

The goal of "Back Focus" is to ensure that the entire zoom range of the lens is in focus.

Trenton Scott September 1st, 2006 09:19 AM

Thank You!

Thanks for clarifying. The previous owner of the lens said he didn’t have the owner’s manual, referring me to Canon’s support website for “a link to the PDF.”

For a few reasons, I am very interested in having the original back-focus procedure. I’m extremely grateful that you are willing to scan that portion of the instruction sheet. In the same spirit, I promise to quickly create a web page that documents the 14x and includes your scanned image. There should be *some* source for this information on the web! If you want to be acknowledged as the image source, I would be happy to include your reference information on the web page, but only with your permission, of course…

Thank you!