14x manual lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 16th, 2002, 03:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

mattebox for the canon 14x manual lens?

I'm looking for a mattebox for my Xl1 that will work with the canon 14x manual lens. The front of the lens rotates when you adjust the focus, so I'm not sure which matte box will work and which will not. I've looked around the ZGC site and I'm still unsure as they never mention that any mattebox being able to work with the canon 14x manual lens.

They do say that the OpTex Bellow Matte Box/Filter Holder with Optional Bracketry available to work with the XLPRO 14 x 5.5mm lens! for an extra $399. Maybe the optional bracketry needed for the XLPRO is the same as the canon 14x manual, but I don't know.

Does anyone use a mattebox with this lens? And if so where did you buy it, would you recommend it?
Justin Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2002, 05:50 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

You'll need to use a matte box mounted on rails. The rails hold it in place in front of the lens. The gear at ZGC for the Optex/Fuji lens should work with the Canon 14x as well. Call ZGC to verify.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2002, 09:58 AM   #3
New Boot

manual 14x practice

Hi,
I had during last week my self Xmas gifts! Canon Wide 3x and Canon Manual 14x (both payed not so much i guess, 900 Euro first, 600 USD - ebay brand new - for the manual) and i simply... LOVE 'em!

now my default lens is the wide angle and i love the way of working with the manual lens.

now i really need/love to be able to use the Manual lens well as faster as possible, i'll take all the free time shooting everything i'll find in my way... but... is there any of you that wishes to gives me sort of "practical techinques" to improve the use of such lens?

i mean excercise that could be done at home.. or in easy setups, someone gave me the advice to go at the stadium and try to shoot the ball (soccer or even baseball).

what i need is first of all improving my Manual lens use understanding back focus, iris, and steady shots (my hand is not really so steady).

i'll have my holidays next January and i'll leave for Egipt, i guess i'll have so much situation and nice place to be shooted that it might be a self training itself :]

i'll let you know how is gone by posting some shooting after january!

thanks for any advice, comment.

XL1 owns me!! :]

merry xmas-1s and happy 2oo3 to all

:: www.mimgfx.com
:: jclaude@mimgfx.com
:: life is short, then you die.
Jean-Claude Nouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2002, 05:32 PM   #4
ChorizoSmells

Congratulations on your new lenses. The best way to get the feel for the lenses is to not only practice but also to use the lenses during real shoots. Using them during real shoots will give you the experience to use it for that type of work, for example, if you shoot some live bands, shooting lots of live bands will give you the experience and practice you need to be able to shoot great live performance.

Egypt sounds great, if you are shooting near the pyramids, it might be a good idea to bring a cover for your camera, if theres a lot of wind, sand and dust might get into your camera.

I bought an Apple iBook for myself for Xmas, getting new gear is always fun.

Have fun on your holiday!
Old December 19th, 2002, 04:51 AM   #5
New Boot

I'll get today my PortaBrace for the XL1 so sand and wind shoulndt be a problem.. can someone confirm me that?... i was in doubt between Portabrace and Kata Rain cover.. i choosed Portabrace cause of is really the same size of the XL1s and fits it so perfect and it wont give me any difficulties in handling it on boats or jeeps...

about practiceing, i might also ask for any good books.

I tried some settings with the 14x manual considering advices given here in some posts but i'm still confused :].

about real shooting, yeah, i agree but i really wish to improve a little bit Before doing real shooting that might be just garbage and without the opportuninty to shoot it again. :]

thanks for the advice, Live performance will be also subject i'll shoot :]

:: www.mimgfx.com
:: jclaude@mimgfx.com
:: life is short, then you die.
Jean-Claude Nouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2002, 06:38 AM   #6
Major Player

manual 14X practice

I have been using both the summer, and, now, at this time of year, the winter portabrace covers for my XL-1s. My only complaint is that the summer cover does not have a side pocket for filters, tape, etc. The winter cover does. They keep the weather out quite well. Still, I would bring some large plastic bags, for unusual situations.

As to practicing focus. Two of the more difficult sports for contant changing of focus that I have covered, were close shooting of auto races, and, aircraft races. If you can shoot either locally, I believe that it will greatly improve your "feel" for the lens in action.

How about a model air plane club? Some of those models are very, very fast.

Have a good trip.
Old January 9th, 2003, 12:33 AM   #7
Wrangler

should I pass up a cheap 14x lens?

I found a Canon 14x lens for sale for about $500us. New, in person, from a real store. I don't really need it, but would I be a fool to pass it up for this price?
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2003, 01:04 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

A major advantage of that lens is a true analog iris control ring. You can change exposure in a very subtle way, not "stepped" like the newer 16x manual (iris control on camera body). Your call. Excellent price.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2003, 01:04 AM   #9
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

If you don't feel you need it you might be a "fool" not to pass it up. It's a nice lens and that's a good price but...so what.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2003, 07:03 AM   #10
Warden

I agree with Ken, but if the money is not an issue, at that price you can try it and if yo don't like, sell it and get your money back. I wouldn't buy it just to turn around and sell it on ebay to make a few dollars. Too, much aggravation.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2003, 09:48 AM   #11
Wrangler

I don't need it in the same way that no one else on this forum really needs it. Everyone here c o u l d make do with the stock 16x lens if they had to, right? I'm in the same boat.

What filter thread does the 14x use? Is it 72mm as well? Was there an issue with lens hoods not mounting on that lens, or clamp on matte boxes not working with it?
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2003, 11:41 AM   #12
Warden

It's 72mm and it comes with a hood and pouch to store the lens in. It's a little sharper than either White 16X lens and like Chris, I like the analog aperature control.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2003, 12:04 PM   #13
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I have the lens and like it also.

I might add that the 14x's iris ring is a continuous motion ring! That is, there are no hard click-stops at each f-stop. The iris opens and closes smoothly.

Since the front element of the lens rotates with the focus ring you will not be able to mount a hood on the filter ring threads.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2003, 12:13 AM   #14
Wrangler

Dylan:

I just got one for $650 new and I thought I did pretty well. Damn, you did good! OK, I'm jealous.

I've never liked the white lenses, and I actually prefer the 14x to the 16x because the iris control is much more "available" and I don't need the extra millimeters at the long end of the lens (sure wish they had made it wider at the wide end, though).

If you are shooting or planning to shoot "film style", i.e. with the possibility of accessorizing with matte boxes, follow focus etc., and need the capability of accurate, repeatable, critical focusing, the manual lens is the way to go. It's a hell of a lot of lens for $500.
Old January 12th, 2003, 03:11 PM   #15
Wrangler

Charles I haven't bought it yet! I'm probably not going to, as I have a bunch of other substantial expenses coming up soon.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog