Audio Inputs Mic/Audio 1/2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 19th, 2004, 05:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Audio Inputs Mic/Audio 1/2

Does anyone know if there is a marked difference in the audio input circuits between the on-board mic input and audio 1/2.

Here is my question...I have a Senn. EW112 lav setup...I can run the input of the receiver either into the onboard mic input or go to audio 1 or 2 and choose mic input via the menu. It appears if I connect to the on-board mic input the meter shows a bit more "punch". Curious to what other with similiar setup is doing and what would be the better audio choice....
Mark A. Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2004, 08:17 AM   #2
Wrangler

The extra punch you are seeing is that the mic inputs are seeing the extra power from the Sennheiser. The mic normally receives its power from the smaller of the two jacks on the handle. Your problems may be that there could be impedance mismatch or overloading the input amp which may cause distortion.

I believe if you want to use Audio 2 the camera must be switched to 4-track mode. This reduces audio resolution from 16 bit to 12 bit. I run this way all the time since I like to use the on-board mic with the wireless mic.

If you want the higher resolution you should run your mic into audio 1 instead.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2004, 10:03 AM   #3
Major Player

Actually Nathan I'm not getting any distortion using the microphone terminal input...sounds good in either input....with the on-board input has a bit more punch to the audio....

I guess when all else fails get the book out....it appears the microphone terminal input is -59dBV and Audio 1 with MIC selected is -55dBV...guess it explains why the microhone terminal is a bit hotter...
Mark A. Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2004, 01:07 PM   #4
Wrangler

Its not quite that simple. Your bodypack receiver has an adjustable output. Since you really cannot be sure how much power your bodypack is actually doing, you cannot be sure which is hotter. Not that this matters, if you are getting good results shooting the way you are, that's great!

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2004, 09:18 PM   #5
Wrangler

As you noted the MIC input is more sensitive than the Audio1 input, by about 4 dB. Other thins being equal, the mic input jeck will appear to have a bit more 'punch'

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog