canon xl1 wireless mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 19th, 2004, 05:17 PM   #1
Tourist

canon xl1 wireless mic

Hi
I would like to add a wireless hand held mike to my xl1.
How does the receiver from the wireless mic system hook up to the camera? Does it connect to the RCA jacks or plug into the 3.5mm jack of the existing mic?
B&H photo recomended the sampson saum32hhq and the
beach tek dxa 4c set up. This combo goes from the sampson xlr connector into the dxa 4c then from the dxa 4c into the canon RCA jacks. Is there a better set up? which connector gives you
the best audio,the RCA jacks or the 3.5 mm mic jack?
thanks for any help
Mark Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2004, 08:08 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Mark,
This is a very similair thread to the one I started below...I have a sennheiser 112p and can hook up direct to the 3.5 microphone terminal (which is a 600 ohm -59dBV input) or you can select Audio 1 (MIC) which is a 600 ohm -55dBV input. I have used both and found the microphone terminal a bit hotter and less "stuff" hanging off the camera as I can go direct from the receiver to the input. I'm not sure what output on the sampson...if it is RCA, by all means goto the audio 1 input....
Mark A. Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2004, 08:28 AM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Mark,

I use the Sennheiser Evolution 100 series receiver...usually with the mini-plug plugged directly in the camera mic plug. Depending on the situation, I'll sometimes use the XLR adapter and plug into the MA-100. The receiver clips right onto the MA-100.

Sennheiser has some good quality affordable wireless handhelds... or you can just get the little square transmitter to attach to the bottom of a handheld. Although bulky, you'll also be able to use it with other mics, like for instance, a shotgun mic on your boom.
Old January 20th, 2004, 08:34 AM   #4
Major Player

John,
I bought the MA-100 so I could have a convenient place to mount my Senn. receiver ( I actually use a beachtek for XLR). I was going to get a 1/8 to XLR adapter to go into the 100 but heard the 100 is very "noisy" so I never went that route. Does the 100 have a pretty high noise floor?
Old January 20th, 2004, 08:44 AM   #5

I'm probably not the best person to ask, Mark. The only "quality" wireless setup I've owned or used is the 100 series... so I really can't gauge it against others. For my ear, which isn't the best "audio" ear to judge, it seems fine. Hopefully, someone will chime in that has experience with the the 100 series and other brands of wireless setups.
Old January 20th, 2004, 08:50 AM   #6
Major Player

John,
...not sure which "Mark" you are refering too....

Actually I was refering to the MA-100 being "noisy"...lol

I've been impressed with the audio quality of the sennheiser....
Old January 20th, 2004, 09:20 AM   #7

Sorry, Mark...misread ya. ;)

Well then...I can answer that. I don't notice any difference.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog