question about video light VL-10L at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 5th, 2004, 07:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

question about video light VL-10L

I wanted to get a on camera video light for my JVC HD10U, but I have many extra canon XL1 batteries. I was thinking of buying the Canon video light VL-10L. Can I use this XL1 on camera video light with non-canon cameras? I mean, is it just a light, or does it somehow also connect to the camera via the hot shoe. Basically I'm asking can you just turn this light on without it being attached to the camera?
Lisa Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2004, 11:52 PM   #2
Regular Crew

yes you can

Lisa:

It mounts in the shoe, but its self contained powered off your canon batteries so there wont be a problem using it with any other camera.

m
Old February 7th, 2004, 03:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Video Light

I've used it for a few years now ...I love that it uses the same batteries as the XL1. The only down side I've noticed is that the user is not able to dim the light ...it's either on or off. I have had numerous situations when I wished I had something that would allow dimming.

Otherwise this is a good light and, yes, it will work on anything. I've even used it handheld by itself when the power has gone out in the house ...better than my MagLite anyday! :)
Jeff Wros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 12:15 AM   #4
Regular Crew

thank you for the info about the light. yeah, too bad it doesn't dim. But it sounds like a good deal because I already have so many xl1 batteries
Lisa Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2004, 04:26 PM   #5
Major Player

>>I have had numerous situations when I wished I had something that would allow dimming.<<

Hey Jeff, in another forum (Vegas) a member stated he was in a situation where it was too much so he threw a paper napkin over it. He admitted that he probably looked silly but that it worked great!
Randy
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2004, 03:04 PM   #6
New Boot

I have a filter taped to it. Works great.. But I also noticed that when I shot in a disco/club.. that was not enough. I had to use it without any filters.
Worst thing is that even without filters I did not have enough light to interview some people from a ditance of more than 6/7 feet because then there wasn't enough light..

But overall a great light I think
Mark Solleveld is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog