DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   A white point appears on all that I film (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/20976-white-point-appears-all-i-film.html)

Daniel Limoges February 6th, 2004 07:20 PM

A white point appears on all that I film

A white point appears on all that I film ...and I do not know if that is the lens or that comes from the case of the xl1s ?
I bought Xl1s kit in October 2003. brandnew!

Write me and I you will send an image with the white point !

segomil@ca.inter.net

daniel limoges

Rob Lohman February 6th, 2004 08:57 PM

Did the "white point" just appear or has it been there since
day 1? Shoot me an e-mail with the picture at visuar@iname.com
and I'll put it on the web so everybody can see it.

Daniel Limoges February 6th, 2004 09:41 PM

hi!
The white point appears everywhere I film ,has weak light and shutter 1/15 1/30... 1/60 seems to be ok!
f1.6 to 2.7 + -

the Xl1s are brandnew.
I cleaned the lenses many times, but nothing has to make,it seems that that comes from the interior of the case or the interior of the lenses!?

Don Berube February 6th, 2004 11:34 PM

Daniel,

Email me some pictures. I'll take a look at them.

- don

Robert Knecht Schmidt February 7th, 2004 12:23 AM

Do a search for "hot pixel."

Don Palomaki February 7th, 2004 05:58 AM

See the "About the CCD" note on the bottom of page 109 of the XL1s owners manual.

It states" Due to the construction of the CCD, in low-light recording using the slow shutter or gaining up, small specks of light may become visible in the viewfinder. In such cases, increase the shutter speed, reduce the gain or use an additional light source such as a video light."

A similar note is found on pge 71 of the XL1 manual.

The pixel appears to have a high 'dark current' tha becomes apparent in poor light situations where it is amplified by gain, or through long expsoure (sample) times.

If the camcorder is new (a few days from the dealer), you might be able to return it for another one.

And you may be able to mask the hot pixel in post production.

Robert Knecht Schmidt February 7th, 2004 06:07 AM

I believe the masking can be done in-camera with a firmware adjustment performed by the service center.

Daniel Limoges February 7th, 2004 07:23 AM

....use an additional light source such as a video light....

Yes but ,when i films outside,that's has becomes difficult

Rick Bravo February 7th, 2004 10:37 PM

Bad pixel...bad, bad pixel!

Hopefully, the white pixel you are seeing is only in the eyepiece. If the spot remains on screen when viewing it, then you porbably have a bad pixel in your CCD block.

If it is in the CCD, then I would send it back for repair. It's not fair that you have to correct every, single frame that you shoot! This includes work-arounds and cover-up such as adding more light, framing the bad spot into brighter areas or using software to correct the anomaly.

Personaly, when I buy a high-end piece of equipment, I don't expect it to screw up out of the box...I absolutely, positively, don't need any help screwing up...I can do that all by myself!

RB

Rob Lohman February 8th, 2004 01:22 PM

The pixel(s) is/are in the footage as well. I posted Daniel's
screenshot here.

Looks to me like a hot pixel which would need fixing at a Canon
repair centre. As Don pointed out low-light can also bring out
such issues. If it also happens during normal light levels it's
probably a hot pixel.

Daniel Limoges February 8th, 2004 01:39 PM

yES 'it also happens during normal light levels !