XL1 Power Loss at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 9th, 2004, 01:14 PM   #1
Tourist

XL1 Power Loss

I have a XL1 that will not power up. The batteries are charged but the camera will not power up in any mode. Even the tape transport will not work. It has worked perfectly over the years, but I'm wondering if there is some switch that I'm overlooking. Any ideas?

Does it need to be repaired and test?

Bill Helvey
William Helvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2004, 02:05 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Have you tried powering it directly via the AC adapter? If it just won't turn on, then that definitely calls for a trip to the service center.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2004, 04:43 PM   #3
Wrangler

You might also check to see if the AC adapter is working too. No sense in sending the cam in if the AC adapter is the culprit.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2004, 03:56 PM   #4
Trustee

this my sound wierd but I had a similar problem with my camera after I started using the bigger batteries. Some how the battery weight had pulled it off the "connectors"(?) enough to where the xl1 would not power up on them unless you kind of jiggled the battery around. I hope that makes since and even more so I hope that's not your problem as it ended up being a pain in the * for me.

p's
nick
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2004, 08:47 AM   #5
Trustee

My XL1S had the same problem- Canon fixed it right away and sent it right back fixed- no problems anymore......it was under warranty and I was charged nothing!

I sent them the camera on a Monday and believe it or not- had it back by Friday- that's unbeliveably good service.
Old March 25th, 2004, 02:47 AM   #6
Regular Crew

more of the same

Hi guys
I seem to have the same problem after using big batteries. I am in the far east and have to use Canons Bangkok office for servicing (not clever i can assure you) Would either of you (steve/Nick) know how i would best describe this problem so that they will undestand what is wrong (by this I mean is there a particular term they might understand)? I have had big trouble with these idiots before with my stills equipment and want to try to make sure they know what to look for before I get a huge bill.
I thought it was the batteries being old but as i have just bought a new one and found i have the same problem it is clearly the camera, lots of jiggling and a bit of cardboard jammed in seems to work but it is getting worse.
cheers
Allan
Allan Michaud is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog