sennheiser me66 connection at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 13th, 2004, 11:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

sennheiser me66 connection

Hi there everyone. Thanks for all of your help in the past. I do, however, have another question, which I'm sure has been posted before, but I wasn't able to find it.

I was recently given as a present the sennheiser me66. It looks sweet, and I'm looking forward to using it this weekend. However, the connection is an xlr, and was hoping I'd be able to plug it in using a different connection. Am I able to use a 1/8" and plug it in where the mic that comes with the xl1 plugs into?

The reason I'm asking, is that I'll be having a wireless mic going, which is plugged into my MA-200 adaptor. I guess then, the best way to do this, is to plug the wireless into one xlr port, and the other into another xlr port? From anyone's experience, will this cause any problems, or could recommend the best way for setting the camera up for both of the mic.

Thanks again for everyone's help!
forever.
Joshua Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2004, 09:59 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

The best way to use an XLR mic is to plug it in via an XLR adapter. Since you already have the MA-200 XLR adapter, there's really no reason to monkey around with converter plugs and the like in order to try to make an XLR plug fit 1/8" jack. You've got plenty of inputs available on the MA-200; as you state, you can have your wireless going to one XLR jack and the shotgun going to another. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2004, 11:16 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey everyone, sorry for not responding to your comments, I'm sure some of you were looking for respones, or answers, or more informtion. Been really busy, but... I was able to figure everything out. It appeared as though as one of the things that I had to do was turn off the camera, and turn it back on. Afterwards, this didn't appear to happen again. I think I also changed something in the settings, but I can't recall.

Thanks again everyone, and plugging it in via XLR is fine, no problems, I was only curious about the conversion.

Thanks again.
forever.
Joshua Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2004, 05:43 AM   #4
Wrangler

The potential issue is different levels from the wireless and the wired mic, which could cause issues if using AGC mode, and in manual mode will require you to pay some attention to the levels.
Old May 1st, 2004, 09:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi folks

If you plug the ME-66 to one of the XLR, would you not lose the stereo capability that comes with the XL1(s) default on-camera mic? Or am I missing something here? Or does the ME-66 comes with 2 XLR connectors (one for the left and the other for the right channels)?
Norman Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2004, 11:10 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

The ME66 is a monophonic mic and has one XLR connector.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog