DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   What causes a scoreboard's lights to smear? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/21447-what-causes-scoreboards-lights-smear.html)

G. Randy Brown February 16th, 2004 02:47 PM

What causes a scoreboard's lights to smear?

I'll bet it's been discussed here before but I couldn't find it: What causes a scoreboard's lights to smear?
TIA,
Randy

Robert Knecht Schmidt February 16th, 2004 03:12 PM

What kind of a scoreboard? Like at a major league ball park? Smear in what way? You mean during animations, from one frame to the next (as can be seen with the naked eye)? Or do you mean haloing (in a camera like the XL1)? The former is caused by retention of energy in the elements of the display panel (light bulbs or otherwise)--they don't turn off sharply enough. The latter is caused by refraction within the lens, and can sometimes be palliated by removing your UV filter from your lens, if you have one on.

G. Randy Brown February 16th, 2004 04:04 PM

A Basketball scoreboard where lots of red lights make up the numbers (for lack of a better description). Yes, only through the cam lens and not to the naked eye.

>>The latter is caused by refraction within the lens, and can sometimes be palliated by removing your UV filter from your lens, if you have one on.<<

I do have one on and was really hoping for a simple solution....THANKS!!!! ...I'll try to remove it next time.
Thanks again,
Randy

Rob Lohman February 17th, 2004 04:11 AM

Otherwise try to see if changing shutter speed helps.

Is this "smearing" happening all the time or just when the numbers
change? Because DV has problems with the color red. I've seen
smearing (might not be the exact word for what I've seen) on
my XL1S with red when nothing was moving. It was more like
a blockyness surrounding the reds.

G. Randy Brown February 17th, 2004 08:33 AM

Hi Rob,
The numbers are indeed red and they always "smear" (looks like someone literally (sligtly) smeared lipstick or something ) to the right. It happens even when the cam is on a tripod. Actually for this job I won't have to use the shot but was wondering what to try if I need it next time. I've been shooting at 60 fps...how fast would you try Rob? BTW I didn't notice it in the viewfinder while I was shooting it.
Thanks guys,
Randy

Rob Lohman February 18th, 2004 04:11 PM

You won't notice it in the viewfinder because of the low resolution
of the LCD screen in there. It sounds to me like that it's the typical
red blight and changing the shutter won't help a bit. To be sure
I'd have to see a picture though. Can you put one up? If not,
shoot me one per e-mail please.

G. Randy Brown February 19th, 2004 08:58 AM

>>Can you put one up? If not,
shoot me one per e-mail please.<<

Hey thanks Rob, I've already deleted the clips from my hard drive but I will when I get a chance.
Thanks again,
Randy