DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   SMPTE Color Bars XL1s (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/2154-smpte-color-bars-xl1s.html)

Justin Chin May 24th, 2002 08:34 PM

SMPTE Color Bars XL1s

I've been scanning through the manual for the XL1s and had a question.

Can you pull up the color bars if a lens is not attached to the body? Or more precisely when the "check lens" message is on in the viewfinder.

Ed Frazier May 25th, 2002 05:46 AM

Hi Justin,

Yes, color bars and slow shutter speeds (asked in another thread) can both be activated with the lens off.

Justin Chin May 25th, 2002 11:44 AM

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the help. To confirm you've actually set the shutter speed on the XL1s below 1/60 e.g. 1/30 or 1/8 with no lens on the camera?

You can bring up the color bars with no lens on the body?

Not trying to pester, but it would be helpful to know for sure. My XL1 (old version) will not allow you to go into the d. effects or even allow you to adjust ANY shutter speeds with the lens off.

Thanks again.

Ed Frazier May 25th, 2002 11:57 AM

Yes, I did both with the lens removed before posting the response above. Not to worry, I understand your need to be sure.

Justin Chin May 25th, 2002 12:16 PM

PERFECT!

Anybody want to by my old XL1? ;)

Ron Transco May 26th, 2002 08:28 PM

Out of curiosity, what is the purpose of setting slow shutter speeds without a lens?

Justin Chin May 26th, 2002 09:12 PM

Ron:
When you're using the manual lens from Optex or the P+S Technik adapter the camera thinks that there isn't a lens attached.

Right now I think there is a PAL XL1s in my future...

Groovy.

Ed Frazier May 27th, 2002 06:10 AM

Justin, just to be clear, my XL1S is NTSC. PAL will most likely work the same, but you might ask a PAL user to verify.

Ruben Broman May 27th, 2002 04:56 PM

I can verify that it works on PAL version as well.

Kyle "Doc" Mitchell May 27th, 2002 06:41 PM

Justin:

Just out of curiousity, what is making you go PAL and mini35 instead of NTSC?

Oh yeah, send me a message if you're wanting to sell your old XL1 (NTSC) if you get the chance please.

Regards,

Kyle "Doc" Mitchell

Justin Chin May 27th, 2002 08:31 PM

Right on! You guys rock!

Doconomus:
I am thinking of switching to PAL because it appears that a project coming up will want to be shot with regards to a potential 35mm blowup.

I'm doing some research now about the whole deal now.

I'll send you an email about the camera.

Kyle "Doc" Mitchell May 28th, 2002 04:05 PM

Justin:

I'll email you back asap.

Dude, let us know about what your research yields dealing with a 35mm blowup. Reading your other stuff about mini35 gets me excited. Hmmmmmm, maybe I should go along your route with things. Let us know.

Later,

Kyle "Doc" Mitchell