DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XLR audio on Xl1 (phantom power) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/217-xlr-audio-xl1-phantom-power.html)

Adam Coward October 24th, 2001 06:58 PM

XLR audio on Xl1 (phantom power)

I have a shotgun mike that I would like to use mounted on the XL1... canon says that none of its products provide phantom power though.

Does anyone have a work around or know of a product that will let me accomplish this? Thanks

Adam

Ashley Guy October 24th, 2001 11:13 PM

The Beachtek DXA-6 is a phantom powered XLR adapter that works great with the XL1.

Ashley

Adam Coward October 25th, 2001 06:10 PM

Thanks for the advice Guy!

I ordered one from www.bhphoto.com this afternoon, not the lowest prices but they are easy to deal with.

If anyone wants advice on it once it comes in, feel free to ask.

Ashley Guy October 25th, 2001 06:15 PM

Sorry, I should have told you that we have them in stock for a little cheaper. I hate plugging myself on forums though.

Ashley

Ed Frazier October 25th, 2001 08:01 PM

Ashley may not want to plug his company, but I don't mind. I have purchased several items, including a BeachTek, from Guy Graphics and have been very satisified with the service and price.

Ed

Chris Hurd October 26th, 2001 06:00 AM

Usually I allow only my sponsors to plug their products, but Ashley has a great reputation elsewhere on the net... so, no problem as far as I'm concerned.

John Locke October 26th, 2001 12:07 PM

Sorry for the stupid question...but what exactly is phantom power?

I'm guessing that means it powers wireless mics?

Adam Coward October 26th, 2001 01:49 PM

In my case, i need a 48v phantom power supply to power an at4073a audio technica microphone. professional mikes often need a power supply, either from an internal battery, or though a mixer/adapter/etc. that supplies power though the xlr cable. the canon adapters for the xl1 (ma100 among others) do not supply this power. furthermore, some adapters do not supply 48v, required by some mikes. they have a lesser voltage.

hope this helps... please forgive me for any errors... ive learned this all in the past two nights ; )

John Locke October 26th, 2001 08:15 PM

Thanks for the input, thatsdamnright.

I've just started trying to learn more about mics and audio recently. The other day, I went to an audio dealer and told him I was interested in a shotgun mic. He showed me two Sennheiser setups...both identical except for the fact that one mic needed you to put an AA battery in it for power.

They were both EXTREMELY expensive (I was shocked!)...but the one with the battery costs about $600 less than the other. So, I guess "phantom power" means the mic without the battery.

I'll be looking for cheaper mic setups, believe me. But I wonder though, is it worth that much more to buy a model that doesn't need a battery? One battery doesn't weigh hardly anything, and rechargable batteries are cheap.

Don Palomaki October 27th, 2001 06:59 AM

Phantom power: (Extracted from the Mackie glossary.) A system of providing electrical power for condenser microphones (and some elctronic pickup devices) ... The system is called phantom power because the power is carried on standard microphone audio wiring in a way that is "invisible" to ordinary [well, really balanced/professional] dynamic microphones.

Some microphones, e.g., low cost consumer unbalanced microphones, wireless microphone receivers, and ribbon mics may not be able to cope with a connection that is providing phantom power, and this could result in damage. Best to check the specifications of the connected gear if phantom power is evailable.

Some microphones that require phantom power may include an option to use an internal battery to provide the power - handy for field use. With some mics using battery power may result in a somewhat reduced spec for the micrphone; e.g., the maximum output may be less, that with phantom power.

The XL1(s) does provide 5 vDC power to its stock microphone and the the MA-x00 XLR adapter , but this is NOT phantom power.

John C Heid December 28th, 2003 08:25 PM

Shotgun Mic for XL-1S and MA-200

Is there any new info re: a SMALL phantom power supply for the XL1-S with MA200? I bought an AT835ST, which requires phantom power. I don't want a large box; I'd rather find a good shotgun mic (XLR) that has an internal battery. (I want stereo).

Thank you!

John Locke December 28th, 2003 08:36 PM

John,

I wound up getting an Audio-Technica AT815B, then connecting that by wireless Sennheiser transmitter directly to my XL1. It gets good sound and is an economical approach.

John C Heid December 28th, 2003 08:48 PM

Phantom Power / Shotgun Mic / Wireless

You chose an outstanding mic. Do you mount it on the XL1-S, yet connect it wireless?

I prefer to run a stereo mic; the stereo mic I like best is only 9 1/2" long. Model AT835ST. Since it requires phantom power, I do not believe I could send its output directly to a stereo wireless transmitter. Any ideas?

I would not have any objections to going wireless at this time. If I do, any ideas of a stereo high quality mic option?