Which lens to use with Magiqcam rig? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 21st, 2004, 12:17 AM   #1
New Boot

Which lens to use with Magiqcam rig?

Hi!

I'm still testing my Magiqcam rig:

http://www.magiqcam.com/products2.htm

I'm wondering which lens is best suited for a 'steadycam' type system, the 16x manual servo lens or the 16x IS II lens...?

Thanks,

Joe
Joe Abeleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2004, 08:46 AM   #2
Wrangler

Joe:

It depends on what you plan to shoot. If autofocus is going to be useful, i.e. you will be driving close in to subjects or shooting telephoto and you will need to maintain focus, then the 16x IS will possibly be useful. Not perfect, in that autofocus isn't a substitute for accurate manual focus, but putting a hand on the lens is not an option with a mechanical stabilizer.

I personally prefer the manual lens, but I do equip it with a radio control servo for focus. At the current time such devices cost at least as much as your Magiqcam.

You will not need the IS feature on the white lens, it will "fight" with the effect of the Magiqcam.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 05:24 PM   #3
RED Code Chef

Did you ever try a more wide angle lens on the XL1 with a
steadicam righ, Charles? Like the 3x for example...

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2004, 11:03 PM   #4
Wrangler

I haven't used that particular lens with the XL1 on a rig, Rob, although I am familiar with it. That would be a good one to use if you were shooting generally wide, although the mistaken impression is that Steadicam shots are always wide; not so. I use a Century .7x adaptor on my 14x Canon manual lens regularly.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog